Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[PALUDIS] Support thread (current v. 0.24.6) - Part 3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally migrated to paludis today. Everything's working perfectly except for one thing.

I'm on ~x86 but I want some of my packages (baselayout for example) to be stable.
If I understood the manual correctly it should be possible with this kind of /etc/paludis/keywords.conf
Code:
*/* x86 ~x86

sys-apps/baselayout -* x86

However when I run 'paludis -ip world' it still want's to update baselayout to the latest ~x86 version.

Another thing that I couldn't figure out is where's paludis' equivalent of /etc/portage/profile/package.provided?
Telexen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try to search for an answer to this, but couldn't find anything.

Is there any feature in Paludis that would allow for parallel merges like the patch described here for portage allows? I'd like to try out Paludis but since I use a quad-core system, parallel merges REALLY speed up my compile times.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pussi wrote:
I finally migrated to paludis today. Everything's working perfectly except for one thing.

I'm on ~x86 but I want some of my packages (baselayout for example) to be stable.
If I understood the manual correctly it should be possible with this kind of /etc/paludis/keywords.conf
Code:
*/* x86 ~x86

However when I run 'paludis -ip world' it still want's to update baselayout to the latest ~x86 version.

Another thing that I couldn't figure out is where's paludis' equivalent of /etc/portage/profile/package.provided?

1) There is no paludis equivalent of package.provided and that's A GOOD THING. What if you have a package that depends on another being built with a specific USE flag? Since no info on that package would be stored in /var/db/pkg there'd be no way to tell if it was or wasn't built with it and even if paludis assumed yes to every USE flag just to make them work, how does it then keep track of the fact that the outside package may not have really been built with the support the USE flag was meant for? package.provided is a bad kludge.

2) Try doing
Code:
*/* x86 ~x86

sys-apps/baselayout -~x86
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telexen wrote:
Is there any feature in Paludis that would allow for parallel merges like the patch described here for portage allows? I'd like to try out Paludis but since I use a quad-core system, parallel merges REALLY speed up my compile times.

No parallelism at present, see this:

http://ciaranm.org/show_post/95

Ciaranm mentioned he did some preliminary tests on IRC (about a week ago) but I have no idea when can we expect to see proper multi-thread support in Paludis.
Telexen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paapaa wrote:
Telexen wrote:

No parallelism at present, see this:

http://ciaranm.org/show_post/95

Ciaranm mentioned he did some preliminary tests on IRC (about a week ago) but I have no idea when can we expect to see proper multi-thread support in Paludis.

Thanks for the info. It's a little discouraging to read "This one won't be in before 1.0. It may well be the focus of 2.0" in that page, but if some testing is being done then I guess it may not be too long before it's implemented in some capacity.

There are other several features on that page that would be excellent for any user as well. Hope to see those too.

I'll keep an eye on it, but with the gains I get even just running the patch I linked to with portage, I can't justify giving it up to try out Paludis yet.
pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
1) There is no paludis equivalent of package.provided and that's A GOOD THING. What if you have a package that depends on another being built with a specific USE flag? Since no info on that package would be stored in /var/db/pkg there'd be no way to tell if it was or wasn't built with it and even if paludis assumed yes to every USE flag just to make them work, how does it then keep track of the fact that the outside package may not have really been built with the support the USE flag was meant for? package.provided is a bad kludge.

Thanks for your answers. I certainly understand that package.provided might mess thins up. Actually the only thing that I had in there was gentoo-sources because I prefer updating my kernels by hand but maybe there's some other way to do this.

slycordinator wrote:
2) Try doing
Code:
*/* x86 ~x86

I already tried that but:
Code:
  * Name '-~x86' is not a valid keyword name (std::exception)
Thanks anyway.
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pussi wrote:

slycordinator wrote:
2) Try doing
Code:
*/* x86 ~x86

I already tried that but:
Code:
  * Name '-~x86' is not a valid keyword name (std::exception)
Thanks anyway.

Does this work?
/etc/paludis/keywords.conf:

sys-apps/baselayout x86

pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john.doe wrote:
Does this work?

sys-apps/baselayout x86
Yes, if I remove the '*/* x86 ~x86' line paludis would install stable baselayout.
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pussi wrote:
john.doe wrote:
Does this work?

sys-apps/baselayout x86
Yes, if I remove the '*/* x86 ~x86' line paludis would install stable baselayout.

That wasn't what I meant,my fault.Of course it should be

*/* x86 ~x86

sys-apps/baselayout x86

pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john.doe wrote:
That wasn't what I meant,my fault.Of course it should be

*/* x86 ~x86

sys-apps/baselayout x86
Unfortunately that didn't help either.
dleverton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pussi wrote:
Code:
*/* x86 ~x86

This feature is broken in 0.24.2. 0.24.3 will be out soon with a fix.
pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dleverton wrote:
This feature is broken in 0.24.2. 0.24.3 will be out soon with a fix.
ok thanks for the info
pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to paludis 2.4.3 (thanks for the quick fix with my keywoards.conf issue :) and now every install fails with following error:
Code:
ldconfig: invalid option -- e
Try `ldconfig --help' or `ldconfig --usage' for more information.

Install error:
  * In program paludis -i10 paludis:
  * When performing install action from command line:
  * When executing install task:
  * When installing 'sys-apps/paludis-0.24.3':
  * When merging 'sys-apps/paludis-0.24.3::gentoo' at '/var/tmp/paludis/sys-apps/paludis-0.24.3/image' to VDB repository 'installed':
  * Install error: VDB Entry post merge commands failed
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ldconfig error is (according to ciaranm) fixed in 0.24.5 though they only have it on their svn server right now and can't be downloaded quite yet.

In the meantime you can downgrade to 0.24.2 or wait.

edit:
And now the updated ebuild is in the overlay. Though I'll have to install a 2nd copy of it for now just to get my regular paludis install working.
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reffering to this post:https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4134916.html#4134916 I retry it here seeking for an answer:
arek.k wrote:
john.doe wrote:
arek.k wrote:

I'm not sure, but if I understand your question properly the answer is, that (IMHO) --dl-deps-default pre-or-post --dl-reinstall if-use-changed is the best option for update world. There is only one problem with virtual dependencies (or maybe it is my knowledges lack).

I wasn't sure about --dl-deps-default pre-or-post.I suggested --dl-installed-deps-pre pre-or-post is the best dependency resolution.But as I understand it --dl-deps-default pre-or-post includes --dl-installed-deps-pre pre-or-post.

Now I understand your question. I missed the difference between --dl-deps-default and --dl-installed-deps-pre in your post.
I don't understand pre-post dependencies enough to teach you ;).
I have updated my world with --dl-deps-default pre-or-post option, and the result was ok for me.
Maybe someone, who know difference between all: --dl-deps-default, --dl-installed-deps-pre, --dl-installed-deps-runtime and --dl-installed-deps-post tell us what this options means in practice. It isn't clear for me too.

Maybe someone can explain it that even /me is unstanding it. :wink:
sotn3m
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: 2.24.4 Reply with quote

I have a small problem. I have paludis-2.24.4 at the moment and the problem is that it has a bug and whatever I am trying to install I get "ldconfig: invalid option -- e". This is probably fixed in 2.24.5, but obviously I can't install it using paludis :? The question is: what to do best in such a situation?

Go back to emerge? or just get it from svn?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2.24.4 Reply with quote

sotn3m wrote:
I have a small problem. I have paludis-2.24.4 at the moment and the problem is that it has a bug and whatever I am trying to install I get "ldconfig: invalid option -- e". This is probably fixed in 2.24.5, but obviously I can't install it using paludis :? The question is: what to do best in such a situation?

Go back to emerge? or just get it from svn?

Code:
paludis -if paludis

Now it downloaded the 2.24.5 tarball for you.

Now unpack it somewhere
Code:
tar xvjf /path/to/distfiles/paludis-2.24.5.tar.bz2 && cd paludis-2.24.5 && ./configure && make && make install

Now you have a 2.24.5 executable at /usr/local/bin/paludis

And since you don't want to do that everytime there's a new version do:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/paludis -i paludis

Once that's finished, go back to your temp storage location and do a "make unisntall" then remove the temp location.
Kuhrscher
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the help of the last post, I finally got paludis working again...

But now I always get the message "!!! Error: Action count unknown" after each action of paludis.

Any ideas how to completly restore paludis after this annoying update chaos? :wink:
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuhrscher wrote:
With the help of the last post, I finally got paludis working again...

But now I always get the message "!!! Error: Action count unknown" after each action of paludis.

Any ideas how to completly restore paludis after this annoying update chaos? :wink:
You need eselect-news installed. The module was split out from the paludis distribution when Portage eventually gained support for GLEP42 news items.
Kuhrscher
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spb wrote:
You need eselect-news installed. The module was split out from the paludis distribution when Portage eventually gained support for GLEP42 news items.

Thank you for the hint. I had installed the version of eselect-news from the paludis-extras overlay (0.1.2). Installing the one from portage (20070709) fixed it. Perhaps we should remove or mask the version from the overlay?

Cheers, Jannick
staffan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.24.4 Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:

Code:
paludis -if paludis

Now unpack it somewhere
Code:
tar xvjf /path/to/distfiles/paludis-2.24.5.tar.bz2 && cd paludis-2.24.5 && ./configure && make && make install

Code:

Once that's finished, go back to your temp storage location and do a "make unisntall" then remove the temp location.

I presume you mean 0.24.5? For me, this didn't work. I still get the same error.

Will an emerge seriously hurt anything? (I don't believe it will but I thought I'd ask before I try.)

Thanks in advance.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.24.4 Reply with quote

staffan wrote:
slycordinator wrote:

Code:
paludis -if paludis

Now unpack it somewhere
Code:

Code:

I presume you mean 0.24.5? For me, this didn't work. I still get the same error.

Will an emerge seriously hurt anything? (I don't believe it will but I thought I'd ask before I try.)

Thanks in advance.

1) Yes I meant 0.24.5
2) Do you mean you got the error when you called /usr/local/bin/paludis or after you uninstalled that local copy?
staffan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2.24.4 Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:

1) Yes I meant 0.24.5
2) Do you mean you got the error when you called /usr/local/bin/paludis or after you uninstalled that local copy?

I got it when I called /usr/local/bin/paludis. That's what worries me so I wonder if there is something else broken on my system.

I also tried downgrading but that also broke so I guess I'll either try again, wait for the next release or get the SVN.

Thanks.
staffan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have no idea what happened but downgrading to 0.24.2 broke something so I had to fall back on portage. A reemerge of paludis 0.24.5 solved the problem and everything works now.
sanmartin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an up-to-date list of packages with tests that are known not to work? I'm planning to start reporting some of these test failures soon, they disturb me a little :x

Right now here are the ones that fail tests for me:

• automake
  • coreutils
  • curl
  • e2fsprogs
  • eel
  • emerald
  • evince
  • gettext
  • glibc
  • gnome-power-manager
  • gnome-vfs
  • gtk+
  • libbonoboui
  • libgnomecanvas
  • libgnomekbd
  • nautilus
  • python

Many of these are Gnome packages which I'm happy to report upstream. Note that I'm using the gnome-experimental overlay, so tests very well may work on the current released versions. Does anyone else have a more complete list, or disagree with some of the ones I see failing tests?

Last edited by sanmartin on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: