CF5 in FAQ forum needs update ASAP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: CF5 in FAQ forum needs update ASAP Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-33534.html

Recommends / gives example of emerging ~arch packages via ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the command line. That is utterly wrong and runs a good chance of borking the user's system in time. Can we please have it updated to refer to package.keywords?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
donjuan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch. This, along with the emerge manpage, and we are down two more sources. Who knows how many more to go....

The Stage 1 on 3 Install
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: CF5 in FAQ forum needs update ASAP Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-33534.html

Recommends / gives example of emerging ~arch packages via ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the command line. That is utterly wrong and runs a good chance of borking the user's system in time.

It didn't give that example - notice the -p for --pretend in it which is still working and useful.

Quote:
Can we please have it updated to refer to package.keywords?

The paragraph below already had it. However, I see that all the historic context in this faq might lead to confusion and the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS command line example might make people think of using it without --pretend. In short, I added the Please don't use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the command line to actually emerge packages, use the files in /etc/portage instead: sentence.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that it was still misleading with -p as used on the command line like that the newly pulled in deps would also be ~arch in -p and possibly arch when actually merged.
Thanks for updating it! :)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are always free to volunteer an update to this or any other FAQ. :)
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallamej wrote:
You are always free to volunteer an update to this or any other FAQ. :)

;-)
I was hoping nobody would point that out and it'd quietly slip by, as I'm suffering from a rather advanced case of lazyness at the moment - and you know how much programmers love writing documentation... *cough* :D

masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
;-)
I was hoping nobody would point that out and it'd quietly slip by, as I'm suffering from a rather advanced case of lazyness at the moment - and you know how much programmers love writing documentation... *cough* :D
lol.. I love the honesty. Here's the deal though, we're just as lazy as you, so pointing things like this out is almost always our first course of action. ;-)
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)
Well, I'll be reinstalling my playground system over the weekend and I won't be doing much work during that time anyway, so I might just go through the FAQ forum and clean things out instead of my usual sitting around search_id=unanswered.

amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked over it and hopefully improved it. Please let me know if there's anything else to correct / add.

Navigation: [Gentoo Fundamentals] [Table of Contents]

GF5: What are masked packages?

Packages that will not be installed on your system unless you take specific actions. A package may be masked by placing an entry in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask. Historically, this was the only way to mask packages. Note that /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask is overwritten by "emerge sync" as all files in /usr/portage, so manual changes to this file will not persist across a sync. Modern versions of portage allow the user to mask a package just like it can be masked in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask by the developers by adding an entry to /etc/portage/package.mask.

The newer way to mask packages is to declare KEYWORDS in the ebuild file. For each architecture (x86, ppc, sparc, sparc64, alpha), an ebuild may be marked '-arch', meaning "does not work", '~arch', meaning "unstable", or 'arch', meaning "stable". You can set your level of tolerance for unstable ebuilds by defining ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in /etc/make.conf - for example, ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" will accept unstable packages on the x86 architecture. By default, your profile is set to accept stable packages only. ACCEPT_KEYWORDS can also be set on the command line. For example,
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pv unstablepackage
Make sure not to put spaces around the '='. Please don't use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS on the command line to actually emerge packages as this might seriously confuse portage about your settings for ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.

As described in the portage man page, as of Portage 2.0.50, you can make an entry in /etc/portage/package.keywords to have per-package keyword acceptance. This would look like:
Code:
category/package ~arch
or even more simple just
Code:
category/package
without ~arch.
If you are generally accepting ~arch in your make.conf, and want to make an exception for a particular package, so that only arch packages are considered, the syntax is a bit obscure:
Code:
category/package -~arch arch

To get an overview of what versions of a package are available, you can use the "etcat" command, which is included in the gentoolkit package. For example:
Code:
etcat -v package

Credits: TRauMa suggested the sample command line override and the etcat paragraph.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etcat's gone to the great /dev/null in the sky for whatever odd reason. it's still available in a /depreciated directory in /usr/share/doc/gentoolkit-ver but i doubt that'll last past the next update. :cry:

otherwise very nice work.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First qpkg, then etcat. And I'll bet equery still sucks. :?
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the FAQ. I seperated KEYWORDS and Masked Packages into two sepearte FAQs. I updated etcat with equery(since etcat is not even in gentoolkit anymore).

What are keywords
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-194198.html#194198

Masked Packages
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2507147.html

I also updated the Table of Contents
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-175649.html

I added a comment to the BUG for it to be closed.
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55207
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the titles to GF5: What are KEYWORDS / masked packages? resp. GF23: Hard masked Packages to avoid confusion for the hundreds of threads we moved to dups referencing "GF5: masked packages". After all, people as well as portage still call testing packages "masked" on stable systems.

We might want to add sime lines for "-*" and "missing keyword" problems.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
After all, people as well as portage still call testing packages "masked" on stable systems.

:arrow: merging
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: