[SOLVED] OBS no Display Capture Device Screen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rphii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] OBS no Display Capture Device Screen Reply with quote

Note The original Title was: "OBS no Video Capture Device Screen".

Greetings,

when trying to open a Video Capture Device in OBS there is simply none, and the console prints the following.

Code:
error: v4l2-input: Unable to open device
error: v4l2-input: Initialization failed, errno: No such file or directory

Not quite sure where to start. First of all, media-video/obs-studio is compiled with the following USE flags.

Code:
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/obs-studio-29.1.2  USE="alsa lua nvenc pipewire pulseaudio ssl v4l wayland -browser -decklink -fdk -jack -python (-qt6) -speex -truetype -vlc -websocket" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="luajit" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11 -python3_10"

I did find out that there are several kernel settings regarding V4L2 (SYNC, FWNODE, H264...). However, their descriptions don't really give away too much information (like nothing). Plus, I can't locate them since it only shows me the source file location (if that path is the source file).

Again, not sure where to start looking for. I also don't quite know what other info I should provide, but I'll gladly provide it if you ask me for it.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Last edited by rphii on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total
shadowless
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which capture device is it?

If it is a newer device, it is likely to be a UVC device (should check if it is) - in which case the kernel config options are the same as a webcam listed here:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Webcam#Kernel
rphii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowless wrote:
Which capture device is it?

If it is a newer device, it is likely to be a UVC device (should check if it is) - in which case the kernel config options are the same as a webcam listed here:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Webcam#Kernel

Hmmm... So what "Video Capture Device" really is, is a webcam? I see, I confused it with "Display Capture Device" (looked it up now because of it).

What I really wanted is said "Video Capture Device" option, that is missing entirely. I've seen this section https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OBS_Studio#Wayland but it didn't change anything.

I have both pipewire and pulseaudio installed.
Code:
[ebuild   R   ] media-sound/pulseaudio-16.1  USE="daemon glib -bluetooth -jack -ofono-headset" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)"
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/pipewire-0.3.71-r2  USE="readline ssl -X -bluetooth -dbus -doc -echo-cancel -extra -ffmpeg -flatpak -gsettings -gstreamer -jack-client -jack-sdk -lv2 -modemmanager -pipewire-alsa -sound-server (-system-service) -systemd -test -v4l -zeroconf" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"

According to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PipeWire#Prerequisites in my start script I do
Code:
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR="/tmp/hyprland"
and also in my .config/hypr/hyprland.conf
Code:
exec = gentoo-pipewire-launcher &

Now, at first it seemed that it didn't solve anything, because OBS wasn't showing any window when launched. But somehow it works now, maybe all it took was a bit time after I started hyprland... I don't quite know.
rphii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: "Better" Solution Reply with quote

So recently I really fixed not having any "Screen Capture". (Because the issue reoccured)

If you are also facing this problem, make sure you have PipeWire (media-video/pipewire) installed. I don't have many flags set for it, mainly X, readline, ssl.

Then, if you use Hyprland (or something similar), you can check out the Wiki and search for a section "screen sharing". You will notice, that there's mentions of xdg-desktop-portal-hyprland and a small script to actually start it.

If this doesn't help, make sure to just carefully read terminal outputs of whatever program you use while carefully consulting the Wiki.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: