2.6.5-gentoo nosound / 2.6.3-gentoo-r1 works OK
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: 2.6.5-gentoo nosound / 2.6.3-gentoo-r1 works OK Reply with quote

Hi,

I just installed kernel 2.6.5-gentoo and the sound is gone. If I boot with my previuos kernel 2.6.3-gentoo-r1 everything works.

I compiled 2.6.5 using makeoldconfig and it did not ask me anything about sound. I have checked and the sound modules are loaded and everything seems just as in 2.6.3.

where should I start looking for the problem ? are there any 2.6.5 kernel alsa issues ?

thanks in advance.
tetrahydroc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the problem too, but I got sounds back after I did
Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge alsa-lib alsa-utils

it will emerge alsa-lib-1.0.4 and alsa-utils-1.0.4
HTH,
/tetra
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means either 2.6.5-gentoo should not be masked as stable or that a newer version of the alsa lib and utils should be marked as stable.

I try to avoid installing masked packages, is there any other workaround ? Thanks
gun26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a valid point. If the 2.6.5 kernel really needs the newer Alsa files, they should be unmasked for stable users, for consistency's sake if nothing else.

One other thing you could check is that all relevant mixer sliders are up and unmuted using alsamixer, kmix, or whatever. My own sound comes from a crappy VIA 8233 onboard south bridge, and after a kernel upgrade a while back, I discovered that there were four extra mixer sliders called "VIA DXS" which were muted, resulting in no sound and much head scratching. Sliding them up fixed the no sound problem.
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gun26 because your reply guided me in the right direction.

I remembered that my sound also desapeared when I updated kde from 3.2.0 to 3.2.1. I new "button" was in the advanced zone of kmix:

"External amplifier power Off"

and it was enabled. It appeared with the new kmix version and I had to switch it off to turn the amplifier on

Now I had a look at kmix when booting 2.6.5 and the same "button" changes it name to

"External Amplifier"

As you can imagine nor only the name changed but also its meaning. Enabling it restores my sound (and turnes the sound off when booting with 2.6.3)

I do not quite understand why the interface of kmix changes when changing the kernel, but is does.

Thanks for your help.
mooerito
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that did the trick for me nein. thanks a lot for this information!!!! *bows*
rutulian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do not quite understand why the interface of kmix changes when changing the kernel, but is does.

The kmix interface isn't changing, it's the driver. The mixer utilities get their settings from the alsamixer api, so when the driver displays a new or changed setting it shows up in the utility.
nein
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about it and I was just about to write the same (although it was an asumption) as you did. The mixer gets info about the soundcard through the driver, and if the driver changes (which could happen when switching a 2.6 kernel) the mixer changes the info displayed and controls related to the soundcard.

I my case what happened was that one of the controls changed its meaning (off->on).

Thanks for your explanation.
mooerito
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nein wrote:
I have been thinking about it and I was just about to write the same (although it was an asumption) as you did. The mixer gets info about the soundcard through the driver, and if the driver changes (which could happen when switching a 2.6 kernel) the mixer changes the info displayed and controls related to the soundcard.

i was using kernel 2.6.3 before and i remember when booting 2.6.5 the first when the alsa service starts i was getting an error something like "name mismatch: external amplifier / external amplifier power down" and afterwards when i was booting 2.6.3 again i was getting the same error reversed. i suppose they switched the controls, but since the alsautils didnt get an update the labels are wrong.
daryl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: my solution Reply with quote

i noticed that there was a small title-less tab at the top of gnome alsamixer, this led me to conclude that somehting else had stolen the address hw0,0 if i made the card hw1,0 the default it worked, my .asounrc is as follows

Code:

# ~/.asoundrc

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer  {
    type dmix