Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
!!! CATEGORY info missing from info chunk, aborting..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: !!! CATEGORY info missing from info chunk, aborting.. Reply with quote

I am getting the "!!! CATEGORY info missing from info chunk, aborting.." error message.

I saw this post but,
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=109078&highlight=category+info+missing+info+chunk+aborting

I still can't emerge from the files I coppied to my hard drive? I do not have a "category" dir in the $portage/packages dir? Is there any more detailed docs on this issue? Or does anyone have a more in depth solution?

My settings are:

in make.conf (these are not exact synatax. I am not in front of my box and can't remember exact syntax)

portage dir = /usr/portage
package dir = /usr/portage/packages/All

When I run # $PKGDIR.. I get the correct path (/usr/portage/packages/All

I do not have a /usr/portage/packages/category/ directory, Nor do I have symlinks from that dir.

Please help.

Jonin
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Genone meant
Code:

packages $ ls
All/          app-sci/     gnome-extra/    net-libs/    sys-libs/
app-admin/    app-shells/  kde-base/       net-mail/    x11-base/
app-arch/     app-text/    media-gfx/      net-misc/    x11-libs/
app-cdr/      dev-cpp/     media-libs/     net-nds/     x11-misc/
app-crypt/    dev-java/    media-plugins/  net-print/   x11-terms/
app-dicts/    dev-lang/    media-sound/    net-www/     x11-themes/
app-doc/      dev-libs/    media-video/    sys-apps/    x11-wm/
app-editors/  dev-perl/    net-analyzer/   sys-boot/    xfce-base/
app-misc/     dev-python/  net-fs/         sys-devel/   xfce-extra/
app-office/   dev-util/    net-ftp/        sys-fs/
app-portage/  gnome-base/  net-irc/        sys-kernel/

Those are the categories. Inside the "categories" are links to the packages in "All".
Code:

$ls All
aspell-0.50.4.1.tbz2                    gtk-engines-thinice-2.0.2-r1.tbz2   portmap-5b-r7.tbz2
aspell-en-0.51.0.tbz2                   gtk-engines-xfce-2.1.6.tbz2         portmap-5b-r8.tbz2
at-spi-1.3.9.tbz2                       gtk-engines-xfce-2.1.7.tbz2         procps-3.1.15.tbz2
atk-1.2.4.tbz2                          gtk-perl-0.7008-r9.tbz2             prozilla-1.3.6-r1.tbz2
atk-1.4.1.tbz2                          gtkglarea-1.99.0.tbz2               psmisc-21.2-r4.tbz2
audiofile-0.2.4.tbz2                    gtkmm-1.2.9-r2.tbz2                 psutils-1.17.tbz2
audiofile-0.2.5.tbz2                    gtksourceview-0.7.0-r1.tbz2         pwdb-0.62.tbz2
autoconf-2.58.tbz2                      gtksourceview-0.7.0.tbz2            pygtk-1.99.16.tbz2
autoconf-2.59.tbz2.......................

and "ls app-admin"
Code:

packages $ ls app-admin
 addpatches-0.2.tbz2@  fam-2.7.0.tbz2@  sysklogd-1.4.1-r10.tbz2@

You might try running " fixpackages". Its slow running at least an hour a athlon-xp 2000 and whats really neat is that if rerun right away it jsut long :cry: Anyway try that. If not just post and Ill post a script will make the category's and links. Then you should run fixpackages again :lol:

hielvc
Jonin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: categories Reply with quote

So did you have to manually create all of those categories? How do yo know what categories link to what packages in $PKGDIR/All? I am still missing the fundamental logic behind the categories/links/emerge. So once I copy all the packages from CD2 will I have to create x1000 links to those files in the All directory?
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you seem to doing a GRP install. So no you shouldnt need to make those categories. To use the packages you need to
Code:

Installing a Portage Snapshot and Source Code

There is a Portage snapshot available on some LiveCDs. Since you are reading this, we can safely assume you are using such a LiveCD. To install this snapshot, take a look inside /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/ to see what snapshot we have available:

Code listing 10: Checking the /mnt/cdrom/snapshots content

# ls /mnt/cdrom/snapshots
#tar -xvjf /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-20031011.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr

DO NOT "emerge rsync or sync" until after "emerge -k whatever". If you do, portage will go looking for the latest portage and packages which 99% of the time wont be whats on your cd.
The quickest safest way for you wipe your current root partion is "mkfs.whatsyourposion_fs /dev/hd??" Then mount it, untar your stage3 , then your snapshot, then copy the packages over. Set up "make conf" and then " emerge -k ...."

hielvc
Jonin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hielvc,

Now we are on to something. Since I was having problems I emerge sync'd. That would explain my problem. I will start over to scratch and load the snapshot again. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your help. Do you know when the most recent Live CD's were released? I downloaded the ones I am currently using about 2 seeks ago. Has a newer version than that come been released?

Thanks,

Jonin
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the latest GRP cds date from 9-??-03 depending on which platform your building. Its still the fastest way to gentoo up and going. After your built you can allways "emerge world -UD".

hielvc
Jonin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question, should I download the latest snapshot from the mirror? Or, is that the same as emerge syncing again?

Thanks
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No use whats on the cd. After you have installed everything from the GRP and gone through the full install Doc then you "emerge sync" and emerge what ever else you need. Once you sync your portage tree is going to be 4 months out of date. Alot of the programs will have been updated. Xfree hasnt changed if memory serves but portage, baselayout, coreutils, gcc, glibc, gettext etc have diffently been upgraded. What I do is make backups of any files Ive edited in "/etc" particularly make.conf and then "emerge system -uD" . That way you're upgraded to the latest greatest stage3 and is 1/2 to 1/3 of the list "emerge world" will give you. Thiis of course depends on how fast your system is. On my Athlon-xp 2000 gcc is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to build and glibc 1 hour. Unless youve got a AMD64 its going to take awhile and I perfer doing it in chunks.

hielvc
[EDIT] REMOVE -U from emerge as it will break your system.

Last edited by hielvc on Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's apparently a lot of talk about this. Here's all the links as reported to me. This thread is the official thread for this issue as it seems to have the most information, but if you are having issues with this I strongly recommend browsing the others.

tomk wrote:
There's a few threads on this one, not sure which one(s) to keep

dupes:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=126716
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=97317

these threads offer different solutions:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=126504
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=72884
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=73111
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=10907

Please remember not to crosspost. It causes solutions to complex problems to have information spread out across unmanagable numbers of threads.
Jonin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you follow the install directions you 1. install snapshot 2. copy over distfiles 3. copy over packages.

step 1. When you install snapshot (tar ??? snapshot) it creates the /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage directory. This directory does have all of the "app-admin, app-arch, app-cdr..." directories. Are these the "categories"?

step 2. Just follow intall guide directions (no problem)

step 3. It asks you to create "/mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/packages/All" (ie. this dir. does not exist up until this point) and then copy over all your packages to the "All" directory.

So, the quesiton is, do I need to copy over all the "app-admin, app-arch, etc." into the /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/packages/All" dir., "..../portage/packages" dir, or leave them in the ".../portage" dir.? Or, none of the above and I am completely off track?

Thanks,

Jonin
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldnt need the "CATEGORIES", they are created when you "emerge -b or --buildpackage or when you add "buildpkg" to FEATURES in make.conf .

hielvc
Jonin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run "emerge -K system" I get a long list of:

sys-devel/filename
sys-libs/filename
net-misc/filename
etc.
etc.

these are required by --usepkgonly --Terminating

If I just run "emerge system" it tries to go out and download the files(which I would expect). Something still is not right?
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long, I was looking at the install docs and they leave a lot to be desired for GRP(as in confuseing). No you dont "emerge -k system" here. What you need to do is install " gnome and/or kde and/or open-office. Ex " emerge -k kde gnome ". Thid wasnt exactly correct but its ok.
I think your useing the install docs on the cd so you skip Code listing 12.1 and go to step 14.

hielvc

Last edited by hielvc on Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not that far yet. I am trying to do a stage 2 build from the CD. I havn't even compiled my kernel yet. In the install doc. right after you configure USE settings, you go to building the system w/ emerge system. I seem to be having problems at this point.
hielvc
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. GRP is designed to work with a stage 3 install. It might work with stage1 or stage 2. If you want to find out do
Code:
emerge system -p|sort >emrg_list

Then do
Code:
 ls /usr/portage/packages/All/| sort >pkg_list

Then load knoppix, puppy linux, damnsmalllinux and diff them. If youo have everything it should work if not your screwed.
Look do your self a favour, start at stage 3. skip step 12.1 and follow the Install Doc. WHen your through, you can rebuild everything with a simple "emerge -e world". That WILLl rebuild everthing on your system, knock yourself out.

hielvc
Jonin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a stage 3 this morning. I will keep you posted. It seems like a stage 2 should work. Anyway, maybe in future documentation they can break out the GRP instructions entirely?

Jonin
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonin wrote:
Anyway, maybe in future documentation they can break out the GRP instructions entirely?
This is an excellent suggestion. I would file a bug report.
Jonin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Final update. I now have things working. "emerge -K/k" only seems to work if you are doing a Stage 3 install. It seems like it should work w/ a stage 2 but it does not. I was able to do the full install without going out to the internet to download files. This is a much faster install. I would especially like to thank "heilvc" for all the help. :D
npalmer76
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Real fix for this problem Reply with quote

I was having a similar problem. The fix that worked for me was to remove the /var/db/<catageory>/<package> directory as well as the /var/tmp/portage/<package> directory. Only removal of both of these worked correctly.

If this helps others please report it to bugzilla bug 29044.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29044

-Nick
oojah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that you have specifed PKGDIR in make.conf and also specified PORTDIR. PKGDIR relies on PORTDIR being explicitly set so you will still get errors if it isn't set but PKGDIR is set.
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oojah wrote:
Make sure that you have specifed PKGDIR in make.conf and also specified PORTDIR. PKGDIR relies on PORTDIR being explicitly set so you will still get errors if it isn't set but PKGDIR is set.

Agreed - this is a "gotcha" that I've hit a few times. If you uncomment a variable in make.conf that references another variable defined elsewhere in make.conf, make sure you uncomment those referenced variables too!

You can use 'emerge info' to see how the variables expand (and therefore how emerge will use them).
Pauoloelcuator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Simple solution to "!!! CATEGORY info missing from info Reply with quote

hello all,

I found this while googleling....

Quote:

!! CATEGORY info missing from info chunk, aborting…
Blogged under: General — Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen @ 12:15 pm

Tired of this error?

!!! CATEGORY info missing from info chunk, aborting…

# rm -rf /var/tmp/portage/packagename/

emerge packagename

It worked for me.... hope it works for you
cheers!!

Paul[/quote]
nullmodem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed fixed mine, thought I'd share

In the /etc/make.conf this line:
FEATURES="sandbox ccache distcc userpriv usersandbox notitles noclean noauto cvs keeptemp keepwork"

I removed: buildpkg

I was then able to emerge packages alsa, kdemultimedia, alsa-oss without the error "category missing chunk aborting" although alsa would not have that error.

I also went to control center, sound and media, hardware and changed it to "advanced linux architecture"(or whatever)which finally decided to show itself.

Also you need to set amixer, I used kmix in the kde menu enabled the speaker and pcm, turned the volume up and set the option in configuration to "remember settings" or something.

I dont know if it mattered but I emerged arts one more time before all this.

I can now startx with sound.
I still cannot browse my cdrom(mounted) with xmms and load a mp3s, although I can copy them to a directory on the hdrive and play them from there.

Onward with other issues................
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: