Via8233 - Supported by kernel or not?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Via8233 - Supported by kernel or not? Reply with quote

First, let me apologize if this topic has been covered already, but I could not seem to dig up any useful information in the forums. There seem to be a lot of threads mentioning this sound controller, but no definite howto for getting it up and running. Searches on google did not yield much other than howto's involving the alsa driver, which I'm trying to stay away from.

I recently swapped out my motherboard as the old one died. My new motherboard has an onboard sound card. A Via8233 (it's labeled as realtek in the manual, but I've found information that indicates otherwise.)

Code:
cat /proc/pci  | grep audio
    Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 64).

In windows xp it is named: "Avance AC'97 for VIA(R) Audio Controller," and in the BIOS, it is named: "VIA-3058 AC97 Audio."

Based on the The ALSA Configuration Guide I had this sound card working, but I was getting bad sound quality, pops at the beginning, and end of sound files (for example, hitting the delete key one too many times in a term window would yield 'POP, beep, POP',) etc, and slower, choppy video quality.

I read in another thread, that this sound card was supported through the kernel, via the VIA 82C686 Audio Codec (under sound,) so off I went to remove alsa, and recompile the kernel. I compiled this into the kernel, not as a module. As it turned out, I could not get the sound card working with the built in driver.

For the moment, I have removed alsa (alsa-drivers & alsa-utils) installed my old Sound Blaster PCI128, and recompiled the kernel with the appropriate drivers. I also disabled the onboard sound controller. I have sound, but I would like to be able to use the onboard sound instead in all its wonderful glory (I may be picking up a surround sound speaker system soon.)

I am running r7 of the kernel, as I tried my luck with an xfs root partition, before I realized it was not supported yet in r9. I use KDE as my desktop manager, and have the sound server is disabled as it gives me issues with xmms (even if I enable arts in xmms.)

Thanks for any help!

Registered linux user #287718
px
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have a solution, compile your kernel with all sounds driver as module. Then after the compilation, go to your /lib/modules/xxx/kernel/drivers/sounds and do:
for plop in *.o; do modprobe `basename $plop .o`; done;

after the sound should work. Be sure to remove every stuff related to alsa.

If you get sound, do a lsmod and then you can add these modules name in modules.autoload or recompile the kernel to make them builtin.
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's quite an interesting idea!

I will give that a try later on tonight and see if any of the built in drivers work.

reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the kernel module (from the 2.4.x sources not Alsa) via82cxxx_audio.o should support this card.
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reves wrote:
I believe the kernel module (from the 2.4.x sources not Alsa) via82cxxx_audio.o should support this card.

Hey reves. Tried loading this as a module, but it fails.

Code:
modprobe via82cxxx_audio
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.o: insmod via82cxxx_audio failed

Any thoughts?

reves
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try loading this while ALSA was loaded?
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that I know of. how can I make sure?

I don't have alsa-drivers, or alsa-utils installed. There are no references to alsa when the system is booting. No alsasound in /ect/modules.d/, or in /etc/modules.autoload, etc.

Just to be extra sure I'm not blind, grepping through dmesg output found no references to alsa.

thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried adding all sound drivers as modules, as px suggested. A few (2, to be exact) loaded without error, but sound did not work anyway. I tried compiling them into the kernel too (seperately, of course,) but again, sound did not work.

Ah well. I guess I should just plop the sb pci128 back in the system and disable the onboard sound.

Mustard007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure you don't have a Via8233 "A" ! The via8233A just work in ALSA. This card is a onboard.

Some distro like Redhat 9 and mandrake 8.2 detect the card as Via8233 but is not working.
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took another look on the board, and the chip is labeled as Via8233A ... so... is anyone working on a driver for this card? =)

nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have via onboard and recently upgraded to soundblaster 5.1...Almost any package I installed required artsdsp and with a recent upgrade to kde 3.1 beta i found artsdsp broked (buggy software or buggy user is still an open debate...). In any case I love this card...
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use alsa, it works great with the via8233 intergrated sound chip. Though it may be better to get an sblive whatever card and use kernel sound. One thing that I know is that using alsa with the via8233 intergrated sound chip full duplex does not work. Meaning you can only have one source of sound at a time going through the chip (that i know of anyways).
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Finite,

I had it working with ALSA, but I was getting really poor sound quality. For example, hitting the backspace key one too many times in a terminal window would yield:

POP - beep - POP

It was really annoying. For now, I'm just using a sound blaster PCI128 with on the onboard controller disabled.

Mustard007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the future kernel 2.6 (already in 2.5 dev.), Alsa is now incorporated in the kernel. If you try Mandrake 9, Alsa is already merged in the kernel and your ViA8233A onboard card will be detected and will work without any other manipulations !
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the ck sources with ALSA built-in they are fantastic, I love them!

The prob is this crappy VIA sound chipset "VT82C686 AC97" when running XMMS it'll play for a few songs then I get the POP - beep - POP of death and XMMS stops playing and freezes, I have to kill it and start it again. I also get the same thing when in the terminal, I thought it was maybe just beeping because I pressed backspace too many times.

Oddly ALSAplayer works fine (no crashing) and even sounds better (god only knows why) but its complete lack of ANY user interface or playlist editor makes me keep coming back to XMMS.:(
bravecobra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry thorne, you're not alone. I'm having the exact same problem here. No solution yet though.:(
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which prob bravecobra?

Can't get it working or have the crack pop crash in XMMS?

If it's the former go get the ck sources (I find their latency MUCH improved over the gentoo sources too) and compile ALSA right into the kernel (no modules for me, I like to have my kernels self contained!) if the latter then ALSA player will work flawlessly AND sound better than XMMS... the only prob again is its complete lack of any playlist support.... are there any other audio players out there? I've only emerged the two, maybe another player will work better.

Oh yes ALSA player will play forever w/o prob, it's just XMMS that does the sir-crash-alot routine.. although if you just leave it XMMS will start playing again after a few seconds.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Gigabyte board/KT400 chipset. I have just installed a new kernel gs-sources-2.4.21_pre5 with all the via drivers compiled in (ide, agp, snd).
I am using gnome 2.2, sound seems to work some in mplayer, the sound events crashes/locks up the system on some sounds. I have disabled sound events & unmerged gnome-audio.

I am an audio newbie in linux and I am not sure if some problems are due to nvidia drivers, xfree-4.3.0, this new kernel, or my own misconfiguring. The latter is probably the major culprit.

Any help or advice as to sound setup is greatly apreciatted

Brian
bravecobra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenon wrote:
which prob bravecobra?

Can't get it working or have the crack pop crash in XMMS?

Indeed Can't get it working. Using gentoo sources now. Neither the OSS modules nor the ALSA driver are working. You think ck sources would do the trick? Won't I loose some functionality then?
Also putted in a Audio PCI128 card into the machine to have sound meanwhile but that really sucks.
djk29a
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar chip on my Epox 8KHA+, and I must say that it's absolutely THE worst sound I've ever heard come from a sound card. I tried the card in Windows too, so it's not a driver issue.

I'd advise against using this for anything more than speech and dings and pops. It seems thoroughly useless for music.
Elm0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=47650

Basically, you need to be using alsa-driver version 0.9.0rc6, none of the versions after this work (nasty sound quality)

It seems there has been some work going on with via82xx driver (as detailed in that thread) so it should be fixed soon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: