how do you install starcraft with wine?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cryptopsy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: how do you install starcraft with wine? Reply with quote

now that starcraft is free, i would like to install it, for the purpose of just getting a game to run under wine for once in my life. i was never able to do it. So what are the exact steps?
Section_8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked it up on the wine website: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=72
cryptopsy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its "gold" , it should work. i just don't know how. don't understand the gaming stuff for wine.
markisthejob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run both Starcraft and Starcraft 2 under wine.I didn't need to take any special steps. I Just used installed app-emulation/wine through portage then used the installers for both games from my file manager (dolphin)
They both work from my kde application menu
ayleid96
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.Use latest stable version of wine from portage.
2.Be sure to have 32bit version of gnutls if you are amd64.

No other special tricks needed.
lordoftheworld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What USE flags did you guys use? I've unmasked app-emulation/wine-9999, and have WINE_COMMIT="wine-2.19" exported. Steam works fine for me, and Civ 4 launches, but Zoom in/out doesn't work (screen goes black, comes back after a few seconds). The Battle.net launcher doesn't start correctly after installing correctly. Seems like wine might be missing some dependencies, but emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y @world works fine.
lordoftheworld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to use wine-staging-2.18, with these USE flags: "X alsa cups dos fontconfig gecko gphoto2 gsm gstreamer jpeg lcms ldap mono mp3 ncurses netapi nls opencl opengl osmesa pcap perl pipelight png prelink pulseaudio realtime run-exes s3tc samba scanner (staging) themes threads truetype udev udisks v4l vaapi xcomposite xinerama xml."

I can't login to the blizzard agent, but I can install/start SC2/1 and login from the game using my battle.net username/password and authenticator. This is on 64-bit, with ABI_X86="32 64 (-x32)"
*zensiert*
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Installing StarCraft 2 using Wine on a 64-bit system Reply with quote

I had some issues when installing StarCraft 2 using wine a few days ago, but I managed to get it to run. I'd like to share my solution, maybe it helps someone else.

I have wine-staging-2.19 installed on amd64 with integrated Intel-Graphics. My wine-prefix setup was 32-bit. Installing StarCraft 2 was successful (it first installed the Battle.Net client, which then downloaded the game). However, when starting the game, I got the following error message:

Quote:
Graphics device is not available at this time. If the problem persists, for more information consult our support website at http://starcraft2.com/support.

The solution was to create a 64-bit wine environment, in my case by using wine64 and creating a new wine-prefix:
Code:
export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine64"
wine64 StarCraft-II-Setup.exe

Then I installed Battle.Net client and downloaded Starcraft2 again. Finally, it worked :)

It seems the problem was some issue between the 64-bit Intel driver which could not be used by 32-bit-Starcraft. Using the 64-bit-version is flawless for me (except that StarCraft freezes when quitting, but I can live with that for this time ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: