dev-libs/gom: configure: error: Missing gettext library
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: dev-libs/gom: configure: error: Missing gettext library Reply with quote

[Moderator edit: changed package name in title and body. OP consistently referred to dev-libs/gomp, but the pastebin log is for =dev-libs/gom-0.3.2, an unrelated package with an unfortunately similar name. -Hu]

Might anyone here be able to help with a problem installing dev-libs/gom? While trying to install GNOME 3 on one of my computers, dev-libs/gom fails to finish configuration with the message 'configure: error: Missing gettext library'. I am not sure which library it means, as the package gettext is installed. I ran 'perl-cleaner --all' and reinstalled dev-perl/XML-Parser as well as gettext. I read the configure script to try to figure it out, but I'm not sure what the problem is. The full build.log is in the link below.

https://pastebin.com/FTJ0fSU3
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My system seems to build fine using sys-devel/gettext-0.19.8.1
Code:
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/gmsgfmt
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for perl >= 5.8.1... 5.24.1
checking for XML::Parser... ok
checking for po_message_is_format in -lgettextpo... yes

Do you have

emerge --info

somewhere?
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built it successfully. Oddly, I needed to build gettext without distcc, and then gom built with no problems.

I encountered this with gnutls on another computer -- it kept saying that it couldn't find libunistring. However, after I rebuilt libunistring without distcc (I already tried rebuilding with it), gnutls built fine. This is quite strange. I wonder why distcc is causing this not to work... and what other problems might be occurring without my knowledge.

I am also using gcc-6, so maybe this is related.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distcc and -j (parallel build) frequently cause weird build problems, depends on how close the worker and the master are configured I guess.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you use distcc, you must arrange that, for every distributed command, distcc command produces exactly the same results as running command locally. In particular, if you distribute distcc gcc, then all volunteer systems must point their local gcc to an effectively identical compiler. It does not need to be bitwise identical, but that is the easiest way to ensure you get the right result. If you point to a different compiler version, you may get very odd results.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably do not understand it completely; however, the hosts and clients are all using the same GCC version (6.3.0), and all have it configured as the default compiler. They are also amd64.

It looks like one of the hosts has the pie USE flag enabled, while the clients do not, so maybe that is causing problems. Maybe the default changed, because I do not remember changing it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: