Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What harddisk have you had die on you, which worked fine?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmjdebruijn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: What harddisk have you had die on you, which worked fine? Reply with quote

Hi,

I would really like to know what harddrives you had die on you, and which ones have worked fine for you...

Please include brand, model, size, speed, cache...
It would be nice if you would also include how long a drive has lasted if it died.

For me I've had no drive die on me yet... Even my old 286 laptop's 40mb SCSI drive still works, with some bad sectors though...

Please don't bash any brand, I just want to know the facts!
pmjdebruijn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: sticky Reply with quote

I hope an operator makes this thread sticky!
Guezz-Who
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Drives.. Reply with quote

I think I've been really lucky with my harddrives since I've only lost two drives the last 5-6 years.

One was a seagate medalist 1.2 gb ST21276A, it died after some years of usage, luckilly it gave me a warning in time (strange noices) so i managed to take a backup.
The other one was a (surprise) IBM.. I've tried to avoid IBM drives coz they have a really bad reputation, but this one was in my laptop (dell inspiron 8200), didn't even know it was a ibm untill i opened it to replace it. Well, anyway.. IBM Travelstar 40 gb..

The rest of my drives are mostly Western Digital (80 and 120 gb), have 5 of them in usage now. Never lost a WDC drive even if they are in use 24/7 .. :)
krazo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Fujitsu died on me.. so I have never bought drives from them since then. It was a 4.1gb model at the time... wow those were the days..
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had one drive die on me and it too was the segate medalist as posted by Guezz-Who. It was long time ago and unfortunately, my drive didnt give me any warning signs.

I am in the market right now for a new hard drive. Are there any brands that are better than another?
Guezz-Who
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really like the 8 mb cache versions of Western Digital, they rock :)
But I've heard good things about Samsung drives too, if you want a really quiet drive (but maybe not as fast as a WDC) a Samsung might be a good choice..
kozmic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western Digital with 8mb catch, i couldnt live without them. :)
Anacific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBM Deskstar just died on me 2 days ago. Not that I didn't expect it to, considering that they're one of the most horrible HDs ever released.

Right now I have Western Digital 80GB w/ 8mb cache. However, LiveCD doesn't seem to work with UDMA enabled (I have to use ide=nodma to be able to even boot) while WinXP works perfectly. Strange but I'll see how it goes.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in the old days maxtor SUCKED big time.

but they seem pretty good now.

seagate have always been pretty good except early barracudas which got too hot and died.

IBM deskstars were good for a little while but then they were dying left front and centre.

never had a faulty WD
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. the local store around here (an actuall good computer parts store) sells Western Digital and the Seagate (Maxtor and Hitatchi too) and I had a hard time deciding between the two as I am under the impression that Seagates are more quiet.

C
Anacific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
I am under the impression that Seagates are more quiet.

That's what people say. However, I can't even hear my WD and my case is open.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seagate sata drives are quite noisy.. they sound like scsi disks when they write.

don't know what WD sata disks sound like
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I've heard good things about Samsung drives too, if you want a really quiet drive (but maybe not as fast as a WDC) a Samsung might be a good choice..
Samsung's are extremely slow, they're much slower then maxtor/ibm/seagate or WD. If you want a quiet drive buy a Seagate Barracuda V.
http://storagereview.com/articles/200202/20020218SP8004_3.html
Note that since this review was done all manufacturers have updated models except for Samsung so Samsung is actually much further behind. Samsung has a 3 year warranty with all their drives, it's the one good thing they have going for them.

Quote:
That's what people say. However, I can't even hear my WD and my case is open.
You must have some noisy fans or something, every WD I've sold has bearing whine although it's not as loud as the pre-FDB Maxtor models.

If you want a quiet drive the quietest is still the Seagate Barracuda V although the Maxtor diamondmax plus 9 isn't far behind. Just don't buy a Western Digital, they're still not using fluid dynamic bearings yet.
http://storagereview.com/articles/200306/20030615ST3160023A_6.html

Personally I'd go with a Seagate. I hated the pre-FDB Maxtor drives but the newer ones seem fairly good so Maxtor would be my 2nd pick.
elliptical_boy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The other one was a (surprise) IBM.. I've tried to avoid IBM drives coz they have a really bad reputation, but this one was in my laptop (dell inspiron 8200), didn't even know it was a ibm untill i opened it to replace it. Well, anyway.. IBM Travelstar 40 gb..

I lost a 48 GB IBM Travelstar 5400 rpm (in my Dell Inspiron 8100) about three weeks ago after 22 months of very hard use, not to mention riding in my bicycle bags on the (10 km) way to work for the past year... I replaced it with a 60 GB IBM/Hitachi Travelstar 4800 rpm drive, but have already encoutered a nasty bad sector.

Except for the fact that I haven't found a 2.5" drive with more than 30 or 40 GB that wasn't made by IBM/Hitachi, I'll never buy a Travelstar again. Unfortunately, the size of astronomical images these days requires huge storage, so I'm kinda stuck with these POSes. :x

I have learned the hard lesson of proper backups (daily, if possible)! :(
carbon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like IBM harddrives suck ess :lol:

Carbon
BxBoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a WD 80 GB that just died out me. I went out and got a Maxtor 160 GB (7200 w/ 8 MB cache). So far so good..
Guezz-Who
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbon wrote:
looks like IBM harddrives suck ess :lol:

Hehe, yes, maybe not that much now, but definitely before (their 60 GXP series).. A friend of mine had 3x 45 gb ibm drives in RAID5.. One of them broke, but it wasn't that dangerous because he had RAID.. but then, within a week after the first disk crashed he lost another one, before he could replace the first drive and rebuild the RAID, talk about bad luck :?

I guess he won't buy IBM drives again :)
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, a topic close to my heart, I used to qualify IDE drives for a large OEM.

Recent IBM drives are probably OK now, the old Deathstar drives were a nightmare though.

Fujitsu have had a few problems recently, but their drives are generally OK.

The new WDs certainly look fast but their long-term reliability is unproven, they've made a comeback though, a couple of years ago everyone expected WD to be bought out a la Quantum.

Maxtor drives are generally solid (and have benefitted from Quantum engineering input), as well as being quick and quiet.

If I had to part with my own money for a new IDE HDD tomorrow though, I'd get a Seagate. Seagate _tend_ to be a couple of generations ahead of most other manufacturers when it comes to the basic HDD tech and are prime innovators in the industry. They make fast, quiet, reliable drives (and no, I don't work for them).

One thing that is a bummer though is that the industry has moved to one year warranties on IDE drives rather than three year ones; HDD's are treated by OEMs like any other commodity now, but for Joe User a dead HDD is much more of a pain than a dead processor.

It is incredible though how robust drives are these days, although it is still one area where IDE lags SCSI - SCSI drives are generally manufactured to a higher standard (again this is OEM driven) and should prove less troublesome.
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just lucky....but...I've had two 30GB IBM Deskstar drives for years, they're on 24hrs a day, and neither has ever given me any problems whatsoever... =P
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kesereti wrote:
Maybe I'm just lucky....but...I've had two 30GB IBM Deskstar drives for years, they're on 24hrs a day, and neither has ever given me any problems whatsoever... =P

What sort of configuration are they in? There was some speculation the Deathstar drive problems were down to overheating (this was when cheap IDE RAID setups just became popular, people were fitting multiple drives into boxes and not cooling them properly or ensuring their power supply could handle the load of multiple HDD's spinning up simultaneously).
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Compaq (386 circa 1990) with a Conner drive that died after 7 years, but the other Conner drive in that machine (my firewall for the past 3 years) was working fine when the machines power supply died last month. I would have kept the drive but 200MB is a bit small these days. Well they dont make them likevthat any more.

I had a Quantum Atlas II 4.3GB UW-SCSI that died the very day after the Five year warrant expired. I have a Apple/Quantum 80mb SCSI from 1990 still providing MacOS9 and BootX to my Gentoo-ppc box. And two Quantum/Apple 4.3GB SCSI-2 circa 1997 in a Gentoo-x86 with RAID box though one of those has a few bad blocks and should be replaced soon.

I have a lot of IBM SCSI drives of 4.3, 9.1 and 18GB, and so far no failures even though some are from the notorious Hungarian factory.

Of IDE drives I have failures of Maxtor 6.3 GB fitted in Dells, but they are work machines and can't answer for how they may have been treated.

I have three Seagate Barracuda ATA100 drives (60 and 80GB but they are two new to give a verdict.

Conclusions: drives last longer if you keep the machine always on and dont move it about too much. Drives don't last as long as they used to.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slais-sysweb wrote:
I had a Compaq (386 circa 1990) with a Conner drive that died after 7 years, but the other Conner drive in that machine (my firewall for the past 3 years) was working fine when the machines power supply died last month. I would have kept the drive but 200MB is a bit small these days. Well they dont make them likevthat any more.

I had a Quantum Atlas II 4.3GB UW-SCSI that died the very day after the Five year warrant expired. I have a Apple/Quantum 80mb SCSI from 1990 still providing MacOS9 and BootX to my Gentoo-ppc box. And two Quantum/Apple 4.3GB SCSI-2 circa 1997 in a Gentoo-x86 with RAID box though one of those has a few bad blocks and should be replaced soon.

I have a lot of IBM SCSI drives of 4.3, 9.1 and 18GB, and so far no failures even though some are from the notorious Hungarian factory.

Of IDE drives I have failures of Maxtor 6.3 GB fitted in Dells, but they are work machines and can't answer for how they may have been treated.

I have three Seagate Barracuda ATA100 drives (60 and 80GB but they are two new to give a verdict.

Conclusions: drives last longer if you keep the machine always on and dont move it about too much. Drives don't last as long as they used to.

Ahhh, Connor *reminisces*

I'm not sure about drives not lasting as long as they used to - any old drive still running today was basically a real good one - for every one still going there will be loads that are in landfill sites somewhere. In five years' time there will probably be a larger percentage of todays drives still operational.

You've hit on one thing though - people don't seem to realise how fragile an HDD really is, and are quite happy to e.g. shift machines around desks while the HDD is spinning, or generally handle them badly, which accounts for far more HDD issues than any manufacturing defects.
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
Kesereti wrote:

What sort of configuration are they in? There was some speculation the Deathstar drive problems were down to overheating (this was when cheap IDE RAID setups just became popular, people were fitting multiple drives into boxes and not cooling them properly or ensuring their power supply could handle the load of multiple HDD's spinning up simultaneously).

Umm...they're set up as masters on their own IDE channels...physically, they're one space apart from each other in my case, no special hard drive fans or anything...350W power supply, other things drawing power are the MB/CPU (Athlon 1GHz), CD-ROM drive, Audigy Live!Drive, and...umm...the power LED =P
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kesereti wrote:
agent_jdh wrote:
Kesereti wrote:

Umm...they're set up as masters on their own IDE channels...physically, they're one space apart from each other in my case, no special hard drive fans or anything...350W power supply, other things drawing power are the MB/CPU (Athlon 1GHz), CD-ROM drive, Audigy Live!Drive, and...umm...the power LED =P

It's good that you've got a space between the drives - I get the impression folks were just piling as many drives as possible into whatever spaces were there and raid-ing them up. Are they 5400 or 7200 rpm? Some active cooling would probably be a good idea if they're 7200, although maybe your case is well ventilated.

One question, do you have another IDE channel, or is your cdr-rom slaved to one of the HDDs? It's better not to mix and match ATA (eg HDD) and ATAPI (eg cdrom) devices on the same channel, you'd be better off with the HDDs as master/slave on the primary IDE channel and the cdrom as the master on the secondary IDE channel.
pmjdebruijn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh,

Are you sure on that... I though it was better to do just that...
bus0: HD0, CDburner
bus1: HD1, CDrom

This way the load is distributed over the controller...
A new harddisk pushes 40-50mb/s

When putting two harddrives on the same channel, then it will get cosy... ata100 will barely be able to give max performance...

So, I don't agree with you...

BTW: If I'm not mistaken ATA and ATAPI are exactly the same! (not 100% sure though)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: