View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Slashdot Reply with quote

kosamae wrote:
I tried posting to Slashdot too, to no avail. I was going to try to post to games.slashdot.org, but I think stuff just gets posted there from the main site based on content. Maybe we should try emailing Ryan Gordon, to see what he thinks about porting it, he'd certainly be capable enough if he had the source.
I just hate the way companies refuse to release this stuff, I mean, what do they have to lose? Its an old game, with an antiquated graphics engine, that they could probably sell a couple thousand more compies of if they just open sourced the engine. I guess they just sold their souls to the devil...

Believe me, they have PLENTY to lose by releasing the source.

The fact that it's old and "antiquated" does not matter, as the Half-Life engine is still played to death under Counter-Strike. Just look at Quake 1 & 2 : whenever the source code was released, it opened the door to easier aimbots development. And seeing how CS already has a shitload of cheat hacks, releasing the source code won't help.
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, people cheat their butts off in Counterstrike, and yeah, releasing the source code isn't going to help the situation. But I can't imagine that they're selling very many copies of Half-Life anymore, and Counterstrike cheating isn't their problem- Counterstrike is an independent mod. I just think they stand more to gain from releasing the source at this point. Its not like they really care that much about people cheating in CS, if they cared that much about customer satisfaction, then I think they would have satisfied a large amount of customers by releasing the source like Id so graciously does.
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kosamae wrote:
Ryan Gordon is icculus

DOH! :)
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kosamae wrote:
Yeah, people cheat their butts off in Counterstrike, and yeah, releasing the source code isn't going to help the situation. But I can't imagine that they're selling very many copies of Half-Life anymore, and Counterstrike cheating isn't their problem- Counterstrike is an independent mod. I just think they stand more to gain from releasing the source at this point. Its not like they really care that much about people cheating in CS, if they cared that much about customer satisfaction, then I think they would have satisfied a large amount of customers by releasing the source like Id so graciously does.

Wrong, Counter-Strike became an official mod a good while ago. They actually sell standalone versions, branded by the Sierra/Valve/Gearbox logos. It's been a while that CS is now the raison d'être of the HL engine.

Conclusion: It's completely unrealistic to ask Valve to release the source code to HL for at least a year or two. (god knows when them kiddies will get tired of CS)
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think this is a terrible idea. If Valve releases a Linux port of Half-Life then I'm just going to get addicted to CS again. Then where will my grades be? :)
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizen wrote:
I actually think this is a terrible idea. If Valve releases a Linux port of Half-Life then I'm just going to get addicted to CS again. Then where will my grades be? :)

Hell i just graduated.. i dont care about grades... as for you.. err sorry =\
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is that if Valve thinks that they can sell another thousand copies of one their Half-Life packs, by releasing the engine source, I think they'll do it. And the fact that with the source available more people will be able to write cheats, will be offset by the fact, that we'll have the open source community writing anti-cheating software to keep up with it. I don't think cheating is the issue here. I think the issue is Valve being in Microshaft's pocket.
Korean Ian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
Signed-- but I doubt it'll happen. Valve has a habit of sticking their head in their asses-- unlike other FPS game makers like id Software or Epic.

Maybe because they are too busy producing the next earth shattering fps?
NitroPye
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acually, I just tried winex 3.1 with the most recent retail counter-strike and I am impressed/it makes me crave a native halflife.

Impressed: seeing it run almost flawlessly and look like it did in windows (i.e. fillscreen menu screen and such). This still amazes me. I remeber using regular wine with opengl enabled nearly 2 years ago and running it in the corner of my screen (barely) trying to use it to test the maps I was working on, running the map editor was out of the question back then

Crave a native version: because its not perfect, sound is botchy in game browser works on a full moon only and because their isnt a native port, their are no linux users servers (i.e. "The gentoo linux CS Server", passwrod protected) so all us can play togethor avoiding the shitfaces.
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: We passed 3000 Reply with quote

The number of confirmed entries has just passed 3,000. Thanks to everyone for all the support!

If you or any of your friends had trouble confirming entries before, please re-visit the site with the link given to you in the e-mail. There was a bug in the SQL code which should now have been fixed. If you still can't confirm, or have deleted/lost the e-mail, then please try again after 21:00 GMT time tonight; all un-confirmed e-mails will be deleted from the database at that time.

I apologise for the grief this has caused some people. You may want to re-post this on any forums in case people there have had problems.

Thanks again for your support.
-Ribs
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribs, it might be a good idea to try and collect lots of paper letters too. I'd be willing to write one, as other people have said. If you could supply an address I could send you one to forward on with a big bundle/
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telex4 wrote:
Ribs, it might be a good idea to try and collect lots of paper letters too. I'd be willing to write one, as other people have said. If you could supply an address I could send you one to forward on with a big bundle/

Your reply was unclear. Are you planning on sending just one paper letter, or a whole bundle of letters?

I am generally against giving out such personal details as my address. I don't usually even give out my e-mail address. Unless you are planning on sending a bundle of letters, in which case I would be willing to make an exception.

-Ribs.
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant that I would write one letter, which, combined with other people's letters, would make a bundle of letters to send off.

It would be good if someone here had an address they could use which wasn't a home address. I would use my student union address if I weren't going to my parents' house for the summer!
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be possible to set up a Post Office box for this. But that would require money, which I don't have. Plus it costs money for people to send letters to me, I can't see it being very popular.

-Ribs.
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is wickedly dangerous, but anyone's who's interested in doing this, email me kosamae@ignmail.com. I'll send you my address and you send me your letter. I'll wait about a month, to see how much I get, and mail all the letters in a big package to Valve.
Feel free to post this anywhere you want to. Ribs, if you want to add this to your petition site, go ahead, I'm willing to take whatever hit I'm going to get.

-kosamae
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kosamae wrote:
Okay, this is wickedly dangerous, but anyone's who's interested in doing this, email me kosamae@ignmail.com. I'll send you my address and you send me your letter. I'll wait about a month, to see how much I get, and mail all the letters in a big package to Valve.
Feel free to post this anywhere you want to. Ribs, if you want to add this to your petition site, go ahead, I'm willing to take whatever hit I'm going to get.

-kosamae

if you are sure about this, I'll send you my letter! I live in portugal, but I don't mind the shipping costs because I believe this cause is worth it... even if valve decides to ignore us, at least we all tried!
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so, anyone have any ideas for the letter? I have the excuse of being portuguese :)
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Slashdot Reply with quote

Quote:

Believe me, they have PLENTY to lose by releasing the source.

The fact that it's old and "antiquated" does not matter, as the Half-Life engine is still played to death under Counter-Strike. Just look at Quake 1 & 2 : whenever the source code was released, it opened the door to easier aimbots development. And seeing how CS already has a shitload of cheat hacks, releasing the source code won't help.

The half-life server does signature checks on the binary to make sure its the current version and all. Even if they had the source and modded it, they could not play online.
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kosamae wrote:

This has now been added to the news page of the site.

-Ribs
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We passed 4,000 votes eariler this morning (9:00 - GMT+1 Time)

I think we would require at least another 1,000 votes before anything is sent off to Valve. The rate of votes has been fairly low in recent days (in comparison to when the project first went live, anyway). Ideas to combat this are welcome. Any ideas to turn the site into something it's not, or to trick users into visiting will be rejected (One person suggested turning the site into a map site for Windows users, then more-or-less forcing users to sign the petition to get what they want).

The site has been entered into the bpath banner exchange program. Hopefully, lots of people will click our banners and sign the petition. A banner is included at the bottom of the page, I would be gratefull if people clicked it, as it earns us "credits". Each credit gets the banner onto another website once. I do not get money for the banners.

-Ribs.
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have seen a news about that on slashdot.org, I'm not a fan of slashdot, but there is a lot of people on it !
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuF wrote:
I didn't have seen a news about that on slashdot.org, I'm not a fan of slashdot, but there is a lot of people on it !

I sent the article, but they rejected it... oh well
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason why the article was rejected ?
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get lots of article submissions every day, and they only post a select few. I think game related ones in general are less likely to get posted, as are petitions. So a game related petition wasn't something they were interested in posting.
It also depends on what mod gets the story too, some would post where others wouldn't...
wunderk1nd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Quake 2 is open-sourced Reply with quote

Sindre,

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake2/source

:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: