Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sindre wrote:
Half-life is based on id software's quake 2 graphic engine. Quake 2 isn't opensourced yet right? I don't think half-life can be opensourced without the graphics engine.

I wouldn't be too surprised to se ID opensource quake2 though.

signed

Quake2 has been opensourced, hence there is quake2forge and I think an icculus version of it. Opensourcing Half-Life would therefore just involve opensourcing Valve's modifications to the engine... considering that the engine is no longer of any value to Valve (only the data packs on the CD are), opensourcing it wouldn't cost them anything, and it might promote more CD sales to get the packs to play the new ports of the engine. It'd also mean they wouldn't have to bother porting the engine, since people like icculus would do it for them.
wHAcKer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT IDEA :)
damn this'd be SO awesome.
I mean you can play HL with wine but wine is quite slow and we indeed do need NATIVE games :)
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribs wrote:
Sorry, I only just saw your question. A counter is currently in the works. Currently, I don't have much time to work on it...

-Ribs.

not that hard man! SELECT Count(*) FROM table !
there! a counter!
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually (hogging the thread ;)), another benefit of opening the source is that we can then have a whole series of free (beer) and in some cases Free (speech) games made from the mods. If the engine is opensource, and the mod is opensource, that's a complete game that's opensource, so CS, DoD, TFC and all the other great HL mods would be available to download as games in their own right 8)
progster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sindre wrote:
Half-life is based on id software's quake 2 graphic engine. Quake 2 isn't opensourced yet right? I don't think half-life can be opensourced without the graphics engine.

signed

I am quite confident the quake 2 engine is open source...
edit: oops someone already mentioned that :oops:

Anyway I signed as well! Slashdot would get you more then 7000 hits btw...

~prgoster
Opteron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a post on a swedish forum! Hopefully many will sign :D
dalu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sindre wrote:

signed

the q2 source was released quite a while ago.

but honestly, would you really play halflife if it was on linux? why don't you just ask for a linux port of cs, cuz this is what you really want ain't it so?
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalu wrote:
but honestly, would you really play halflife if it was on linux? why don't you just ask for a linux port of cs, cuz this is what you really want ain't it so?

But if Half-Life were open sourced, then potentially we could use all of the HL-based mods. It would only take a little work to ensure the modifications they've made to the HL engine work with the ported engine for GNU/Linux, MacOSX etc.
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalu wrote:

Not so!!! I don't even like CS! I play Natural Selection!
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a story to slashdot... now let's see if they will post it :D
if they do, prepare to see your website on its knees :)

Code:

Here are your recent submissions to Slashdot, and their status within the system:
    * 2003-06-15 15:05:48 Petition for a Half-Life linux port (games,fps)

Summary:
    * pending  (1)

UPDATE:
Code:

Here are your recent submissions to Slashdot, and their status within the system:
    * 2003-06-15 15:05:48 Petition for a Half-Life linux port (games,fps) (rejected)

Summary:
    * rejected   (1)

Last edited by Uranus on Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
refriedbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribs;

If you haven't yet, I suggest also posting this at http://www.linuxquestions.org .

There are a fair number of people scouring that forum :)

Refried
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea of the number of signatures so far?

Tuxgames have a similar petition already by the way, just so you know:
http://www.tuxgames.com/petitions/

Oh, and I sent the news to www.linuxgames.com

update it's now an item on linuxgames :)

Last edited by telex4 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
geekX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also love to know how many people have signed this so far.

btw: How many people do you guys think would have to 'sign' before Valve would start to take linux users seriously?

My guess is that they would first release HalfLife 1's source code to test the reaction before they consider porting HalfLife 2. Thats because HalfLife 2's engine (source) is probably not based on any ID software engine any more and therefore probably very dependent on Direct 3D. I think it would be a hell of a mission to port HalfLife 2. Look at Neverwinter Nights.... and they actually planned a linux version from the start.
Pindrop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed with enthusiasm :D
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalu wrote:
sindre wrote:

signed

the q2 source was released quite a while ago.

Fuck no - I hate CS, I really want to play Half-Life again, because I never completed the game, I own every addon their ever released and I haven't played them in a long time, I really think that HL is one of the best games of all time simply because it has an exellent story.
AgenT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake & Quake2 source code has been out for years now. But to make things clear, Half-Life is based on Quake source code, not Quake2. Anyone who has played all three games can easily tell you that Half-Life uses the Quake engine (file types, names and commands are similar or exact to Quake).

There was, however, some function or whatnot from Quake2 pertaining to netcode that was allowed into Half-Life (although I may be mistaken somewhat on this point).

If I remember The Carmack mentions this in one of his .plan updates a few years ago.

/end FUD police :roll:
Azaghal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve won't release the source until no (CS-)cheater is buying the game anymore because they got banned.

seriously, Valve's listening to the community has been crap ever, the HL engine is old, buggy and slow (but most of you don't notice that anymore because of fast CPU's now), and Valve has been really crap for years at defeating cheaters. Don't get me wrong, I like the game much, but Valve support/the HL engine are just way too poor.

I read in some preview of HL2 that this is because they had been investing all their money/effort in HL2. I hope this is true.

And imagine the cheater-boom that would occur when they release HL open source right now, with it(well it's most famous MOD we all hate and love) still being the most played FPS online. :roll:

oh P.S. HL2 isn't derived from the q3 engine right? Since they started with HL2 right after it was clear HL1 was a success?
Ribs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arguement of cheating is an interesting one which didn't cross my mind when making this petition. However, think about programs like Apache. It's open source, yet it's very secure because so many people contribute to it. This could theorically happen with HL; people could write cheat protection into the software which far surpasses Valves' efforts. Then again, people could also write cheats into the game.

Either way, HL is old, as you said, and Valve doesn't seem to care much for it anymore, so what have they got to loose by releaseing the source?

Just my two cents.

-Ribs.
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheating won't be *that* much easier because you can do md5 checksums of the binary and other datafiles on connecting to a server to make sure you are using a valid release that hasn't been mucked around with. It will just mean making hooks will be a little easier, but again that won't change detection so catching cheats won't be any harder... it will just be easier to make more devious cheats.
ethzero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azaghal wrote:
oh P.S. HL2 isn't derived from the q3 engine right? Since they started with HL2 right after it was clear HL1 was a success?

Half Life 2 uses Valve's new "Source" engine. If you haven't already seen the E3 demo, you must download it:

http://web.filefront.com/r.b/page__file_info/_filepath__/worthplaying/halflife2/half_life_2_720*480_trailer.zip
(500 MB)

Totally evil, you can't think that Doom 3 will be better after watching that.
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sindre wrote:

signed
Actually, Quake2 has been released for a while now.... and Half Life is actually based on the Quake engine (not Quake2) with a ton of modifications. Previous attempts to get Half_life ported have been met with "it contains way too much DirectX-specific code"... This does not rule out them making it open source, but I still doubt it since Half-Life is still an economically viable game for Valve. Since Wine and WineX are capable of running Half-Life, fixing up a port should not be too much trouble with the source in hand.

I think the real issue comes down to the fact that Half-Life still makes Valve money. We won't see anything from them, no matter how much we beg and plead. If you really wanted to get something going, have people mail you hand-written, legible letters asking to have the source made available to someone like Ryan Gordon (icculus or icculus.org) to do a closed-source port. This is much more likely than them open sourcing the product. Hand written letters have MUCH more clout than online petitions or email. Once you get a large number of letters, then mail them all to Valve.

They'll get the idea, then.
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethzero wrote:
Azaghal wrote:

Half Life 2 uses Valve's new "Source" engine. If you haven't already seen the E3 demo, you must download it:

http://web.filefront.com/r.b/page__file_info/_filepath__/worthplaying/halflife2/half_life_2_720*480_trailer.zip
(500 MB)

Totally evil, you can't think that Doom 3 will be better after watching that.

You can't say that a game will be better than an other only with videos... to know if a game is better, we need to play this game, to test it... so for the moment be quiet and wait is the better attitude imho !
jrz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tell everyone this but after playing the leaked d3 demo the gfx kick hl2's and the sound adds a new dimension that no game (to my knowledge) has taken advantage of. the sound will make doom3. hl2 (imo) doesn't beat doom3 on gfx and if it doesn't beat it in sound (atmosFEAR) then it won't really be a competition. just half-life hangers-on who want half-life to continue will buy it :]
ethzero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuF wrote:
You can't say that a game will be better than an other only with videos... to know if a game is better, we need to play this game, to test it... so for the moment be quiet and wait is the better attitude imho !

You didn't watch the demo, did you? ;) I meant that the Source engine will be better than the Doom 3 engine, not that Half Life 2 will be a better a game (and you can judge an engine by video). But if Half Life 1 is any indicator, Half Life 2 will probably be a better game too ;)
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethzero wrote:
DuF wrote:

You didn't watch the demo, did you? ;) I meant that the Source engine will be better than the Doom 3 engine, not that Half Life 2 will be a better a game (and you can judge an engine by video). But if Half Life 1 is any indicator, Half Life 2 will probably be a better game too ;)

I watch the demo, and I'm not impress by the engine. When we see a man fall this is not really natural, not really look normal... I don't say that it will not be a great game, I have buy Half-Life, but when I see videos, for me HL2 is not impressed me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: