Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[timidity] many problems (Solved - migrated to fluid+qsynth)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: [timidity] many problems (Solved - migrated to fluid+qsynth) Reply with quote

Edited: I decided to give up the timidity++ issues forever and give a try to fluid+qsynth, for now I am indeed surprised by the easiness of the process and the inmediate availability. Plus, you have to consider all the advantajes of a system based on soundfonts rather than patches. I will add the details on another post below, in case someone is interested in migrating from timidity++

I know that there are tons of timidity++ related topics, but haven't found one like this. If there is one, anyone, feel free to move it and forgive me.

My issue is the following: new install in an average box (1700+), I have set timidity with eawpatches and thru the latest alsa on the vanilla kernel (1.0.10_rc1, me thinks). Timidity -Os <filename,mid> works without any problem, but now I am experiencing a strange thing: aplaymidi -l does not show any timidity port:
Code:

localhost i92guboj # aplaymidi -l
 Port    Client name

That is all the output. As I said, timidity -Os plays fine any arbitrary midi file. I never had so much trouble setting midi in any distro, and in Gentoo is has been always particularly easy to me. I can play files still thru timidity, but as there are no recognised ports it is impossible to use any other program, for example aplaymidi or kguitar. Any help would be apreciated, since I am at a loss...

- Regards people :)

EDIT:
Seems that there are similar issues. For example:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-187164-highlight-timidity+ports.html

I think that for some reason timidity dise just when starting at bootup. I can reset the service status:
Code:

/etc/init.d/timidity zap
/etc/init.d/timidity start

And now the ports are listed. I think I will have to investigate the bootup process, maybe some dep that is loading after than it should ?

Last edited by i92guboj on Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have timidity start as a default service. 1) it's not very stable and 2) it's a CPU hog. I would start and stop it manually when ever you need to use it.
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishB8 wrote:
I wouldn't have timidity start as a default service. 1) it's not very stable and 2) it's a CPU hog. I would start and stop it manually when ever you need to use it.

-Yes, I know and that is what I do. The problem is that this install is for a not so illiterated person and Im trying to automate all the things to a maximun extent. I know that timidity is not preciselly a marvel, and its development is really slow if any but well, we have no choice, unless we use a true hardware synth ;)
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is fluidsynth. it loads soundfonts. there is a nice front end for it that is a little more user friendly than the timidity CLI. There is also qsampler which loads GIGA samples. (also a nice front end for it too)
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishB8 wrote:
there is fluidsynth. it loads soundfonts. there is a nice front end for it that is a little more user friendly than the timidity CLI. There is also qsampler which loads GIGA samples. (also a nice front end for it too)

Curious that you mention fluid, because after giving a look into portage I decided to emerge it. I have been looking into the web page and seems that there are some options in which regards programs based on it (wich is also important) but the docs seems to be a bit poor. I will look some more options too.

Thanks a lot for your advices, I will report anything if I got it to work. :)

EDIT: I must say that i am really impressed about fluid and qsynth. The qt interface is trully a plus (not cause of being qt but because I would say that is almost impossible to put more functionality into such small surface and in such an easy way). By the way, im not used too used to .sf2 soundfonts. Can you recommend some funny place to take some cool sound fonts?

Thanks again ;)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Migration to fluid+qsynth

As I expose above, I have become tired of some of the timidity++ little annoyances. Fluidsynth is a very similar mechanism, for those not familiar with it I will say that it is also a software synthetiser. What are the main differences that I have found on it compared to timidity?

The main one is that any user can turn it on when s/he needs it (so there is no need to start it at boot time, which is a good thing for me). Another thing that I like over timidity++ is the fact that it has a usefull frontend, formerly qsynth. Timidity++ lacks a similar thing. It has several frontends that can be activated via use flags, but none of them has even a fraction of the functionality that qsynth offers.

It is not particularly heavy or light (I havent tested it so much so cant compare the memory or cpu usage with timidity++, but is certainly nor worse). Well, appart from that you have to note that, being a solutions based in sounfonts rather than patches you have a wider range of possibilities or sounds to choose from, and also that it can be much lighter or much heavier in memory usage, depending on the soundfonts that you use.

The procedure
Code:

/etc/init.d/timidity stop
/etc/init.d/timidity zap
rc-update del timidity
emerge -C timidity timidity-eawpatches timidity-shompatches
emerge fluidsynth qsynth

That's all basically. You will need some soundfonts also. You can go here or google for any other site:
http://www.sf2midi.com/index.php?loginon=&searchword=gm%20&page=search&pos=&ord=4&posnum=&filetype=sf2
Any sf2 above 80mb should be ok for most users. In that page there are also a lot of specialized sf2's. In any case, if your intention is to just play midi files I suggest you to download a GM compatible sf2, for that you have to go to the "Collections" department in the combobox to the left on that page.

Then uncompress the soundfont that you downloaded, open qsynth, choose configure, go to soundfonts tab and choose your soundfont. Press ok and you will be asked to restart the midi engine, do so and enjoy with rosegarden, xmms, pmidi, aplaymidi, guitar pro, kguitar or whatever you choose.Remerber: you need to start qsynth each time that you need to use the midi interface, for those using kde there is a option to put it in the system tray.

And that's all folks!
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

But I can't see any midi devices in kguitar. I'm seing that I have this message when fluidsynth is started:
Code:
fluidsynth: warning: Could not connect to any physical jack ports; fluidsynth is unconnected

FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have jack running before you start fluidsynth.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having thi card for like 6 years and I always thought there was no midi capabilities on it. Well, it seems it does (CMI8738/PCI).
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was a noob to this I had both fluidsynth and timidity installed. Thanks for helping me get rid of timidity though, I don't need it anymore after all! Besides, I need all the resources I can muster to run by fancy beryl effects on this PC. :lol:
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried AIGLX with my voodoo 3 2000 but for an unknown reason I borked GL rendering straight pipe. Not a big deal.

For my CMI8738 card, I now have a midi device showing in Jack, but I can't seem to be able to make the capture ports working, apart the mic port. In alsamixer, they appear this way:
Code:

L    R                                  L    R                                   └──┘               L    R              L    R              │
│              CAPTUR              ------              CAPTUR              ------              ------              CAPTUR              CAPTUR              │
│                                                                                                71                                                        │
│            <  PCM   >            Synth                Line                 CD                 Mic               Mic Boos              Aux                │

Only dashes show.

Also, I don't know why, even tough I specifically added snd-pcm-oss in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 + modules-update, it does not load anymore when I restart the alsasound service.

Could you show me your kernel-2.6 config regarding alsa, your /etc/modules.d/alsa and your /etc/asound.conf?

Here are mines...

kernel-2.6
Code:
snd-pcm-oss
snd-mixer-oss
snd-seq-midi
snd-opl3-synth
snd-rtctimer

modules.d/alsa
Code:
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias snd-card-0 snd-cmipci
alias sound-slot-0 snd-cmipci

options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
alias /dev/sequencer snd-seq-midi
alias /dev/snd/seq snd-seq-midi

options snd cards_limit=1

asound.conf
Code:
pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 8192
   rate 44100
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
    }
}
pcm.mixin {
    type dsnoop
    ipc_key 5978293     # must be unique for all dmix plugins!!!!
    ipc_key_add_uid yes
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
        channels 2
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 4096
        rate 44100
        periods 0
        period_time 0
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        0 1
    }
}
ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

I would appreciate that.

PS. Bare in mind that this desktop box was installed with a Gentoo-1.2 base and got quite cluttered and flaky, so I sometime wonder if I update the right files. :wink:

Last edited by tecknojunky on Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! It worked after a reboot! :D I plugged my cdrom output jack directly in the line-in of the sound card and I could hear the audio cd play. I then plugued my electric guitar and I could (faintly) hear it in one of the speakers. But I can't route that to ecamegapedal, just for adding simple gain to the sound.

I also realized that I have a .rcsound in my home folder:
Code:
pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "jack"
}
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave { pcm "jack" }
}
pcm.jack {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
        1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
    }
    capture_ports {
        0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
        1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
    }
}

Obviously, I'm missing an entry for my line-in port. Anyone know what I should wrtie in that file?

Thanks
Mgiese
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea what the problem is ?

Code:
00:25:46.900 Qsynth1: Creating synthesizer engine...
00:25:47.956 Qsynth1: Creating audio driver (jack)...
00:25:47.960 Qsynth1: Failed to create the audio driver (jack). Cannot continue without it.
fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested audio driver: jack
00:25:52.729 Qsynth1: Destroying synthesizer engine...
00:25:52.730 Qsynth1: Synthesizer engine terminated.

Ryzen9 7950x ; Geforce1650 ; kernel 6.5 ; XFCE
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read you own error message. :roll:

Quote:
error: Couldn't find the requested audio driver: jack

You don't have jack running.
Mgiese
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishB8 wrote:
Read you own error message. :roll:

Quote:
error: Couldn't find the requested audio driver: jack

You don't have jack running.

thx and how do i runjack ? i tried "jack" and i tried "/etc/inti.d/jackd start", nothing works..i also recompiled my world so that all packages now also using the useflag "jack"

FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to run jackd.

Try installing qjackctl. It's a front end that makes starting and stopping jack much easier.
Mgiese
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i can start it but in the message window i got the following problem :
Code:
subgraph starting at qjackctl-11872 timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=18, status = 0, state = Finished)

and the jack process seems to be started anyway :
Code:
stg      11889  0.1  0.2  43476  1080 ?        Ssl  03:21   0:00 /usr/bin/jackd -R -doss -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -w16

but i f i try to start some midi stuff with qsynth i see these error messages :
Code:

fluidsynth: warning: Instrument "Piano 1": Some invalid generators were discarded
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument "Piano 2": Some invalid generators were discarded
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument "Piano 3": Some invalid generators were discarded
fluidsynth: warning: Instrument "Honky-tonk": Some invalid generators were discarded
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Not enough memory)
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 9) [for thread -1234367584, from thread -1234367584] (1: Operation not allowed)

dont realy know whats going on , some people said it would be easier to use qsynth than timidity, but i am not getting it to work with both :( fxxx looks even more difficult with qsynth

nickrout
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't actually need jack, although I have no doubt it will work better.

You can click past the jack error message, click on setup and then the audio tab choose alsa as the output, or oss (on my system anyway, it may depend on the USE flags for fluidsynth.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: