K3B makes an empty DVD when burning a 4.2GB file - help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregp01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: K3B makes an empty DVD when burning a 4.2GB file - help Reply with quote

I've been successfully writing DVD+/-Rs for months now with K3B and my NEC drive. I'm trying to write a 4.2GB AVI file to a DVD+R with K3B, and all I'm getting are empty filesystems - as the output below indicates, mkisofs is ignoring the only file to be burned:

Code:
System
-----------------------
K3b Version:0.11.18
KDE Version: 3.3.2
QT Version: 3.3.4

mkisofs
-----------------------
Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
Warning: ISO-9660 filenames longer than 31 may cause buffer overflows in the OS.
/usr/bin/mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File /home/greg/video/Movies/007 #20 [2002] - Die Another Day (536p HD).avi is too large - ignoring
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 169
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 21000
423 extents written (0 MB)

mkisofs comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid Bond Movies #5 -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR VERSION 0.11.18 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher  -preparer K3b - Version 0.11.18 -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-root/k3bcaAkab.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bfraD9a.tmp -joliet -joliet-long -hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bHaT5Yb.tmp -udf -allow-leading-dots -full-iso9660-filenames -allow-lowercase -no-iso-translate -allow-multidot -max-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 3 -path-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bIvuLoc.tmp /root/.kde3.3/share/apps/k3b/temp/dummydir0/

How do I fix this? I've tried various combinations of Rock Ridge/Joliet/UDF, and that doesn't seem to be related to the problem, nor does the ISO Level; just having K3B make an ISO image gives the same empty filesystem. Is this just an inbuilt restriction of mkisofs? Is there a fixed version, or another tool I can use?
elvisthedj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried enabling overburning? (configure k3b, writing, advanced)

If you're authoring dvd's, the best guide in the forums is right here and k3b isn't involved :D
gregp01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This error occurs even if I'm only making an ISO image, so it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the actual burning itself - it seems to be a problem with mkisofs. (I'm not authoring DVDs, though - I'm just burning an AVI file straight to a data DVD.)
gregp01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post seems to indicate that the ISO filesystem has a maximum filesize of 4GB. Is there some way to have K3B not write an ISO filesystem, and just do UDF? I haven't been able to find any option like that...
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My k3b always crashes whenever I press the 'burn' button, so... I stopped using it. But should be possible to create UDF filesystem. Even if the GUI doesn't have an option for it, you can add user parameters to the programs. I think it's in K3B -> Configure -> Programs -> User parameters. Add the -udf option to mkisofs there.
elvisthedj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use growisofs to burn to dvd's, but I've only tested it with dvd authoring. Have you tried it?

Quote:

DIFFERENCES WITH RUNNING MKISOFS DIRECTLY
When using growisofs you may not use the -o option for an output file.
growisofs dumps the image directly to the media;

You don't have to specify the -C option to create a higher level ses-
sion on a multi session disk, growisofs will construct one for you;

Otherwise everything that applies to [multi-session] mastering with
mkisofs applies to growisofs as well. growisofs needs at least mkisofs
version 1.14, version 2.0 is required for multi-session write-once
recordings.

lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: K3B makes an empty DVD when burning a 4.2GB file - help Reply with quote

gregp01 wrote:
I've been successfully writing DVD+/-Rs for months now with K3B and my NEC drive. I'm trying to write a 4.2GB AVI file to a DVD+R with K3B, and all I'm getting are empty filesystems - as the output below indicates, mkisofs is ignoring the only file to be burned:

Code:
System
-----------------------
K3b Version:0.11.18
KDE Version: 3.3.2
QT Version: 3.3.4

mkisofs
-----------------------
Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
Warning: ISO-9660 filenames longer than 31 may cause buffer overflows in the OS.
/usr/bin/mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File /home/greg/video/Movies/007 #20 [2002] - Die Another Day (536p HD).avi is too large - ignoring
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 169
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 21000
423 extents written (0 MB)

mkisofs comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid Bond Movies #5 -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR VERSION 0.11.18 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher  -preparer K3b - Version 0.11.18 -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-root/k3bcaAkab.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bfraD9a.tmp -joliet -joliet-long -hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bHaT5Yb.tmp -udf -allow-leading-dots -full-iso9660-filenames -allow-lowercase -no-iso-translate -allow-multidot -max-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 3 -path-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bIvuLoc.tmp /root/.kde3.3/share/apps/k3b/temp/dummydir0/

How do I fix this? I've tried various combinations of Rock Ridge/Joliet/UDF, and that doesn't seem to be related to the problem, nor does the ISO Level; just having K3B make an ISO image gives the same empty filesystem. Is this just an inbuilt restriction of mkisofs? Is there a fixed version, or another tool I can use?

Your problem is easy to fix. For one all CD and DVD filesystems have a file size limit. Having a 4.3g file will never burn with the current filesystems. ISO9660 (joilet) stops at 1g or so, UDF stops at 2g. So the problem is you need to keep your files to under those limits. That is why DVD movies are broken into smaller VOB files.
Kaboosh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: K3B makes an empty DVD when burning a 4.2GB file - help Reply with quote

lotw wrote:

Your problem is easy to fix. For one all CD and DVD filesystems have a file size limit. Having a 4.3g file will never burn with the current filesystems. ISO9660 (joilet) stops at 1g or so, UDF stops at 2g. So the problem is you need to keep your files to under those limits. That is why DVD movies are broken into smaller VOB files.

ISO9660 has a 2 Gigabyte (32-bit) filesystem size limit. The problem appears to be that mkisofs and growisofs both need to write a ISO9660 filesystem in order to use UDF - UDF by itself has a much higher 8 Exabyte (64-bit) filesize limit.

This link on the NERO support site shows that is can be done using Nero :wink:
tuxian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Solution yet ?? ;(
mahdi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just started happening to me, just over a week ago I was able to burn a 4.3GB file right onto a DVD now I get the "mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type."

I can make an iso over 4.4GB using smaller files but a single file won't go at all.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing here, there was no such problem earlier... I have trashed three disks till now :( and I don't use k3b, only nautilus and command line - the same problem...
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
Koprom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Someone got a solution? Reply with quote

Hi all,

i've got the same problem here! when trying to create an iso/udf image with a file greater than 4 gigabyte, mkisofs complains about the file being too large.

Is there probably a bug in mkisofs? or maybe a problem with the kernel configuration?

greetings

Koprom
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help:
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/#isofs4gb
8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1