error while loading shared libraries:
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baxtor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: error while loading shared libraries: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to linux. I have been using gentoo for about 4 months now, and have been reading in the forums, man pages, and anything else I can get my hands on. I have learned a great deal about how linux works. However, I have stumbled across a problem that I cannot seem to solve.

When I built gentoo on my system I had some not-so-optimal CFLAGS in make.conf. After doing some researching, I realized that there was a whole world of flags out there that I was never aware of. So I decided to test them out. I compiled and tested a few ebuilds with them, including X, and used them to compile my kernel. After testing them out for a while, I decided it was time to rebuild my machine with them.

emerge -e system && emerge -e world

The last time I checked I was over 100 packages into the build process out of 139 (for system). I left it on over night. When I woke up the next day I checked my machine and it looked like it had stalled on a package. I left it alone for over about and hour, and it had stalled. I could not break it. I could switch consoles, (ctrl+alt+F2..etc) put in user id and password, but could not log in. My system was completely hung. (heh hung)

Soft reset.

Booted with some errors, such as not being able to load some moduals, and the typical filesystem not cleanly unmounted stuff. I was able to log in ok. I figured I had better restart the emerge, but when I tried I recieved this error.

Code:
python2.2: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file:  no such file or directory

me: umm...
brain: this is not good...

There are more libraries on my system that don't seem to be present. When I startx there is a library missing: libXmuu.so.1.

Now I dont know too much about static and dynamic link libraries. I was thinking this could be a symlink that didnt get updated during the emerge? Or maybe they just were not placed into the /usr/lib/where/ever/they/are/supposed/to/be directory?

Also, whilst compiling, I always see refrences to a tmp directory in portage. Does the compiler dump the binaries there during the make process?

Where do I even start with this?

(I refuse to start from scratch again, because I know this can be fixed.)

Thanks for your help.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember at which package the emerge stopped ? If gcc, glibc or something very critical is broken you'll need a binary version of that.
baxtor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnone,

Thanks for the help...

No I don't remember which package It stalled on.

I searched a little more through the forums, and I think I might have found something. I'm going to try this out. Sorry about dup post.
baxtor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I had to do.

nano /etc/ld.so.conf

add "/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2" (or whatever version of gcc you use)

ldconfig

cp /etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.2.2 /etc/env.d/05gcc

env-update

on the post by jessew at this thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=27357, he recommends...
Quote:
to be on the safe side, I remerged gcc, gcc-config, python, and portage.

So thats what I'm going to do...

Cheers
hairyfeet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem. I was not emerging anything that important. I think the paths got messd up when I had to do a reset. Now I just hope this workaround will fix the problem when I get back to my box.
chaos421
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my problem goes along with this... here's what i did.

$ emerge -u portage

<snip tons of stuff>
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/gawk-3.1.3-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 43, Exitcode 77
!!! (no error message)

uh, oh...

then i try
$ emerge portage
python2.2: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$ emerge --help
python2.2: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$ emerge

this is bad. any help?
thanks,
keith
C0deM0nkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I had the same problem, I read the following thread and followed it (although I didnt do the source /etc/... bit since I didnt know what it was doing), and now everything is fine.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=171875

If your new, and need some re-iteration, you can read me step by step version here near the bottom of this thread...

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=173346

- Code Monkey
chaos421
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much!

i updated the version numbers in the following files
/etc/env.d/05gcc
/etc/ld.so.conf

to point to the new directories. and now things seem to be moving along.

thanks again!
keith
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: