Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Idea for pfl: Hardwareinfo - feedback requested
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Idea for pfl: Hardwareinfo - feedback requested Reply with quote

Running and maintaining https://www.portagefilelist.de/ for a while now an Idea came to my mind and I want some feedback about it.

Would it be of interest if the website does show something like https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam, collected by the pfl script?
As an optional option for the package, which then collects the hardware info and uploads it.

Any feedback is welcome.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I don't have the tool installed.

How many users are there? I presume it would be for "entertainment," but if it led to "what hardware is known to work on Gentoo," that could be interesting.

While on the subject of ideas, a list of packages that don't have information mgiht be useful. Somewhat like the "view unanswered posts" link here.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no value in this. What are you trying to show with the data? Maybe if the HW was somehow tied to build times, and could count the averages and give an estimate it'd have some idea... but even that is pretty vague since build times can fluctuate within identical systems as well due to limitations and parallelism.
Banana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the feedback!

pjp wrote:
How many users are there?

I don't know. There is no uniqe information and there are no plans about it.

pjp wrote:
I presume it would be for "entertainment," but if it led to "what hardware is known to work on Gentoo," that could be interesting.

The latter is my Idea behind it.

pjp wrote:
While on the subject of ideas, a list of packages that don't have information mgiht be useful. Somewhat like the "view unanswered posts" link here.

pfl collects what is installed and has no knowledge what is not or what is missing. I do not know where I might get the information about what packages are available in the official gentoo repo.

Juippisi wrote:
What are you trying to show with the data? Maybe if the HW was somehow tied to build times, and could count the averages and give an estimate it'd have some idea... but even that is pretty vague since build times can fluctuate within identical systems as well due to limitations and parallelism.

The idea would be to show on what hardware gentoo users run it. To show that gentoo is not that ressource hungry and capable to be run on "everything"
It is more like the possibily to show the info because the collection of it should be easy and use this data to show others, hey-look-what-gentoo-can-do. Something like that.

Build times would be a great info but I'm really not sure how to get the data...

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardware aspect is interesting, but I suspect it might be limited or at least challenging.

For example, I've never put in the time to get my laptop's special keys working.

Banana wrote:
pfl collects what is installed and has no knowledge what is not or what is missing. I do not know where I might get the information about what packages are available in the official gentoo repo.
I don't know if there is a better way, but this seems to be correct, run from the ::gentoo directory:
Code:
$ find . -maxdepth 2 -mindepth 2 -type d | awk -F'/' '$2 !~ /^(eclass|licenses|metadata|profiles|scripts)/ { print $2"/"$3 }' | wc -l
By "seems correct," I mean that the number matches that listed on https://packages.gentoo.org/

Banana wrote:
Build times would be a great info but I'm really not sure how to get the data...
app-portage/portage-utils provides qlop. I haven't used it, but others have referenced it regarding build times.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: