View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freifunk_connewitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] gtk under KDE: artifacts and window redraw problems Reply with quote

hi,

I'd appreciate any help in solving a graphics problem that started a few months ago.

Some applications started to show window redraw and font problems. Especially thunderbird is affected, but that could just be my impression because I use it every day.

Description of the thunderbird redraw problem:
1) after a while working with it, especially often after switching back to thunderbird from other open windows by using alt-tab, parts of the thunderbird window are completely black - the account list, the message list, the message pane, the menu, it can affect all window elements. they reappear if I move the mouse over them. this does not apply for static window elements like the separators between buttons, they remain black. I get the whole window back completely only through maximizing and again resizing it. this is what happens almost all of the time if I use thunderbird for more than five minutes.
2) a second problems affects the message pane of compose-windows. there, it happens from time to time that the entered text will just disappear. I it still there but it is not shown anymore. I get it back through scrolling it out of and back into sight.
3) as already described here: [SOLVED]characters messed up in firefox, thunderbird, office, sometimes letters just disappear. if that happens, every menu entry, message title in the message list, or even the message text miss certain letters. there was no clear logic which ones, most of the time also very common ones like the 'a' or the 'e' so that not much except 't's and 'n' were left. It's just as if most of the letters of a word have the same color as the background - the word "gentoo" could look like " nt ". The character problem, however, happens only seldomly.

It is not only thunderbird that is affected by these problems. Also gtkmm, pinentry or libreoffice sometimes had problems to redraw their windows when focus came back to them. The missing letters problem - if it occurs - affects all non-KDE / non-Qt applications.

NOT affected are all KDE applications / menus / windows and opera.

When it happens, there are no error messages in /var/log/messages.
The only errors thunderbird printed where:
Quote:
GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_clipboard_set_with_data: assertion 'targets != NULL' failed

But according to some googling they are harmless (and would not explain why also other applications are affected).
The error console of thunderbird brought up no errors, just warnings about ignored rulesets and bad selectors in userchrome.css and similar stuff.
Probably relevant errors and warnings in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
Quote:
egrep -i "EE|WW" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[ 1985.006] (==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
[ 1985.006] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[ 1985.006] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[ 1985.007] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
[ 1985.008] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/misc/".
[ 1985.009] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/" does not exist.
[ 1985.009] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
[ 1985.009] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/".
[ 1985.010] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/".
[ 1985.010] (II) xfree86: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
[ 1985.050] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module modesetting
[ 1985.050] (EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 1985.051] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
[ 1985.051] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 1985.051] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
[ 1985.051] (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 1985.074] (II) intel(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[ 1985.086] (==) intel(0): TearFree disabled
[ 1985.135] (II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0
[ 1985.160] (II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 338 x 270

just in case it matters: xsession-errors:
Quote:
egrep -i "error" .xsession-errors
file:///usr/lib64/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:103: TypeError: Result of expression 'listView' [null] is not an object.
file:///usr/lib64/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:175: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: sectionsRepeater
file:///usr/lib64/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:103: Error: Cannot assign [undefined] to QString
krunner(3351)/libakonadi Akonadi::AgentManagerPrivate::createDBusInterface: AgentManager failed to get a valid AgentManager DBus interface. Error is: 1 "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control': no such name"
krunner(3351)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
korgac(3442)/libakonadi Akonadi::AgentManagerPrivate::createDBusInterface: AgentManager failed to get a valid AgentManager DBus interface. Error is: 1 "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control': no such name"
korgac(3442)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
korgac(3442)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
Sql error: Tablespace for table '`akonadi`.`parttable`' exists. Please DISCARD the tablespace before IMPORT. QMYSQL: Unable to execute query
ProcessControl: Application 'akonadiserver' returned with exit code 255 (Unknown error)
Sql error: Tablespace for table '`akonadi`.`parttable`' exists. Please DISCARD the tablespace before IMPORT. QMYSQL: Unable to execute query
ProcessControl: Application 'akonadiserver' returned with exit code 255 (Unknown error)
korgac(3442)/libakonadi Akonadi::EntityTreeModelPrivate::finalCollectionFetchJobDone: "Unknown error."
korgac(3442)/libakonadi Akonadi::EntityTreeModelPrivate::collectionFetchJobDone: Job error: "Unknown error." for collection: ()
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
file:///usr/share/apps/plasma/plasmoids/notifier/contents/ui/DeviceItem.qml:67: TypeError: Result of expression 'notifierDialog.highlightItem' [null] is not an object.
Error: No XMP packet found
Error: XMP Toolkit error 203: Duplicate property or field node
X Error: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter) 4
X Error: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter) 4

A while ago, I already had problems with missing icons in gtk-applications like audacious, but I could solve that somehow, IIRC by re-merging oxygen-icons.

My setup:
KDE 4.14.3, gtk+-2.24.27 and 3.14.9, Intel integrated graphics with i915-driver and KMS, xf86-video-intel-2.99.917

emerge-info:
Quote:
Portage 2.2.18 (python 3.3.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde, gcc-4.8.4, glibc-2.20-r2, 3.18.7-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.18.7-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5_CPU_661_@_3.33GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem: 7970392 total, 1458972 free
KiB Swap: 0 total, 0 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Mon, 04 May 2015 08:45:01 +0000
sh bash 4.2_p53
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.24 p1.4) 2.24
distcc 3.1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [disabled]
ccache version 3.1.9 [enabled]
app-shells/bash: 4.2_p53::gentoo
dev-java/java-config: 2.2.0::gentoo
dev-lang/perl: 5.20.2::gentoo
dev-lang/python: 2.7.9-r1::gentoo, 3.3.5-r1::gentoo, 3.4.1::gentoo
dev-util/ccache: 3.1.9-r4::gentoo
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.12.2-r1::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig: 0.28-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc: 0.13.11::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.6-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13::gentoo, 2.69::gentoo
sys-devel/automake: 1.11.6-r1::gentoo, 1.13.4::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils: 2.24-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc: 4.7.3-r1::gentoo, 4.8.4::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.7.3::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4.6::gentoo
sys-devel/make: 4.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.18::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.20-r2::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
sync-type: rsync
sync-uri: rsync://rsync10.de.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
priority: -1000

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/sofficerc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs ccache config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://91.121.189.201/gentoo-distfiles/ ftp://gentoo.imj.fr/pub/gentoo/ ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org/"
LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi aes aim alsa amd64 amr berkdb bidi bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdparanoia cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus declarative dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac fortran ftp gdbm gif gimp glamor gnutls gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk iconv icq idea imap ipv6 jabber jpeg jpeg2k kde kipi lcms ldap libnotify mad mjpeg mmx mmxext mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg msn multilib ncurses nls nptl nsplugin offensive ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf phonon plasma png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 quicktime readline sdl semantic-desktop session sox spell sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssl ssse3 startup-notification svg tcpd tiff timidity truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb v4l vcd vorbis win32codecs wxwidgets x264 xcb xcomposite xine xinerama xml xscreensaver xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LINGUAS="de en he ru" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19 ruby20" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

thank you for your suggestions.

Last edited by freifunk_connewitz on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
freifunk_connewitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again,

ok, if >100 people have read it and nobody has had a clue that sounds as nobody has ever encountered anything vaguely similar.

but even then, I need your opinion, please: would you rather suspect

a) a hardware issue with the integrated intel-core-i5-graphics or with memory? that's what one could think because it always only happens after a while working; or
b) some old configuration lurking in the background (I've set up this machine about 5 years ago); or
c) KDE's gtk integration needing some clean up?
freifunk_connewitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to have been b) and c)

I deleted my ~/.kde4-folder and re-logged in. after a few days of testing thunderbird and all other gtk-applications behave and look like they are expected again. maybe there have been some vital changes in KDE's core system that do not go along well with older configurations.

so, if anybody encounters a problem like mine, this should be your solution, too. marking solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: