View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt our point of view has changed recently - OTW still is the place for everything not related to Gentoo. As these are the Gentoo forums we're not exactly fond of having more than one non-Gentoo forum, so you'll probably just have to post more interesting Linux related threads to OTW that make the flamew^H^H^H^H^H^Hpolitical discussions look uninteresting and no one joins them any more. ;)
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, amne---appreciate it :) , and I do understand any reluctance to expand non-Gentoo aspects of the site.

My suggestion was provoked because I was looking for discussion of the way in which GNOME seems to be getting stronger backing right now than KDE. There is a thread on precisely that active in OTW right now. But finding that was just luck on my part, because OTW threads don't show up in searches or on the last-24-hrs/unanswered boards (or, at least, they don't show up for me), so it requires a specific visit to OTW to see what's going on. For those of us (and I'm sure there are many) who bookmark just the last 24hrs page rather than the forums home page, this means you have to click, scroll, click, search... and all for topics which can be serious as well as significant for a gentooer even if not directly or immediately gentoo-relevant.

So I guess what I'm saying is that having general linux chat in OTW makes it less visible than is (perhaps?/arguably?) desirable.

Or maybe I'm just too lazy and should look at OTW more often. :P
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excluding OTW from the searches per default was something many/most users wanted for a very long time. ;)
niskel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amne wrote:
Excluding OTW from the searches per default was something many/most users wanted for a very long time. ;)
I agree with this but I believe the reasoning and intent behind wanting OTW omitted from the search was to avoid all the religous/political and other non-Linux posts. Now, saying that Linux related but non Gentoo related threads should go in OTW sort of goes against the intent of having OTW omitted from the search as, really, most people still want Linux related threads in the search, just not the religous/political and other threads.
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niskel wrote:
saying that Linux related but non Gentoo related threads should go in OTW sort of goes against the intent of having OTW omitted from the search as, really, most people still want Linux related threads in the search, just not the religous/political and other threads.

Yes, that was my point too, really---but if a majority of people don't want it, then I'm happy to accept that. :) Either solution has drawbacks---after all, general linux chat can be very general indeed and might crowd out gentoo support requests.

Maybe a compromise would be to have an option for users to decide whether or not they wanted OTW to figure in their search results?

Or is that a silly suggestion?
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at240 wrote:
Maybe a compromise would be to have an option for users to decide whether or not they wanted OTW to figure in their search results?

Or is that a silly suggestion?

In the new search engine you will be able to choose whatever combination of forums you'd like.
open_coder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my basic view on this topic. When trying to get general tech help on this forum, you have to sift through alot of crap. Often times the threads with general help get buried in all this crap and the same question will occur two or three times, because the user doesnt notice the first post made several days or weeks earlier. This serves to aggravate the community because people have to answer questions more than once. I also don't feel that this inspires a great deal of community.

Not only that, but OTW doesnt count toward your postcount. So, when I answer a technical question, I dont get any credit for that post. I think that questions with technical pertinence should count towards your postcount.

Another reason for a separate forum is that some of us don't like to belong to too many forums. I use Windows, so I am on another forum in addition to this one, but if I ever left Windows I would lose the part of the Windows forum that I use for general tech help. And, users who only use Gentoo don't get the same kind of help from the current layout.

I just feel that the idea of a separate tech forum would improve the quality of the Gentoo Forums and provide a greater community for all of us.

--Alex
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Forum suggestion, split OTW Reply with quote

Hello,

I think OTW should be split into 2 catagories. Linux and non-Linux discussion, as relevant and important Linux discussions don't fit anywhere, as Gentoo chat is gentoo only.

Also, there should be a forum for people who don't use Gentoo to post questions for their problems. It would create an enormous amount of goodwill in the community.

My 2c!

hand
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the above post to this thread.
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Computer sub forum? Reply with quote

there is a lot of computer related question in off the wall so it would be great to have a computer sub forum
coriolan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a subforum named "Trolling", perhaps subsubforums for "Cokehabit only trolling", "Albert Alligator's Trolling", "America Bashing", and "General Trolling".
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged above two threads.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coriolan wrote:
I want a subforum named "Trolling", perhaps subsubforums for "Cokehabit only trolling", "Albert Alligator's Trolling", "America Bashing", and "General Trolling".
:lol: :lol: :lol: I think we should have one called "whingeing" as well.

I do think OTW should have a sub-forum where linux/other distros can be discussed
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Quote:
I do think OTW should have a sub-forum where linux/other distros can be discussed

I agree. A sub forum titled "General Linux/Other Distros"
The old argument that these are Gentoo forums, thus everything "non Gentoo" needs to be in OTW just does not fly. One look at the "Multimedia" forum (which over the years has been a trmendous help for me 8) )shows that most of the discussions and help could easily be considered general Linux in nature. For example https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-473129.html is just one example at the time of this post.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell

Last edited by Old School on Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

menelmacar wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Quote:

I agree. A sub forum entitled "General Linux/Other Distros"
The old argument that these are Gentoo forums, thus everything "non Gentoo" needs to be in OTW just does not fly. One look at the "Multimedia" forum (which over the years has been a trmendous help for me 8) )shows that most of the discussions and help could easily be considered general Linux in nature. For example https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-473129.html is just one example at the time of this post.

agree
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Off The Wall Forum Reply with quote

I have a general non gentoo specific linux question but I know if I post it in the Off The Wall Forums it probably won't get answered because the forum gets flooded with non-linux off the wall topics. There should be a general linux(non gentoo specific) support forum or the Off the Wall Forum should be split into linux and non linux sub forums. Or am I just insane?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general Linux questions I've seen in Off the Wall get answered, and pretty quickly usually. You might also get hazed a little, but you get answered.
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum is like 80% non linux questions and is very populated so it's easy for a linux question to be overlooked.

For instance:

0 replies

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-857865-highlight-.html
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum is like 80% nutters & misfits - it's the lunatics' asylum of the forums. Putting remotely serious threads there, amongst e.g. "It's f******g hot" threads, is ridiculous.
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...that is why I was asking if there could be a General Linux Questions forums aside from the one that is current.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the last five posts. Chose necromancy over moving to duplicates :P
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually quite like a general linux forum too, there've been a few posts I wanted to make but not bother with because they're not really specific to gentoo (despite gentoo being all I really use), and I didn't want them dumped in OTW...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadako wrote:
I'd actually quite like a general linux forum too, there've been a few posts I wanted to make but not bother with because they're not really specific to gentoo (despite gentoo being all I really use), and I didn't want them dumped in OTW...
Ad nauseam... Gentoo is not a generic support forum and anything not related to Gentoo belongs in OTW. Posting more content you want to see in OTW will reduce how much of the other stuff you see.

If I recall correctly when we first started creating sub-forums, increased moderation effort was the primary reason for not splitting OTW. OTW is what its participants make of it.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadako wrote:
Hopeless, you know as well as anyone that questions "dumped in OTW" will probably be answered faster than any other Gentoo sub forum.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Sadako wrote:
Hopeless, you know as well as anyone that questions "dumped in OTW" will probably be answered faster than any other Gentoo sub forum.

Shhh. If word gets out, it will be forum anarchy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: