revdep keeps rebuilding media-libs/fmod
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: revdep keeps rebuilding media-libs/fmod Reply with quote

This is what I get when I run revdep-rebuild:
Code:
 *   broken /usr/lib64/libfmodevent64-4.21.02.so (requires libfmodex64-4.21.02.so)
 *   broken /usr/lib64/libfmodevent64-4.21.03.so (requires libfmodex64-4.21.03.so)
 *   broken /usr/lib64/libfmodevent64-4.21.04.so (requires libfmodex64-4.21.04.so)
 *   broken /usr/lib64/libfmodevent64-4.21.05.so (requires libfmodex64-4.21.05.so)
And I get it every time, no matter how many times it gets rebuild. The problem seems to be that 'equery belongs' doesn't return anythin on those libfmodex64 files, so I don't have the package providing it. But I do 'emerge -DuNva world' regularly and I have with-bdeps set in make.conf so there should be no way for a needed package not to get pulled in...
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by looking to the ebuild it looks like a binary package, am i right ?
if the answer is yes and the software works, ignore it and tell revdep-rebuild to ignore it too.

Welcome to binary hell ;)

cheers
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, being attacked by binary packages in Gentoo :cry:

Could you please try to explain why revdep sees a problem and how can I tell it to ignore it (or better yet sort it out...)?
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you please try to explain why revdep sees a problem

well, i´m not 100% sure what is going on with this particular package, but revdep-rebuild checks all binaries in a given path for linking consistency, iow, if all installed packages are correctly linked against the libraries it needs. ldd is a great tool to have a look or just digg into the headers of the binary with readelf if you want to know what libraries a package needs (in case the binaries were not built staticalkly of course, but that isn´t the case here apparently).
If you install a binary package, the environment used to build such package may not be the same you will have in you system and therefore the binaries in the package may be looking for other libraries that the ones installed in your system and it can happen that the binary can´t even work without them.

I don´t use any binary packages myself anymore but maybe you can adapt this tip to make revdep-rebuild to ignore this libraries :
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/TIP_Control_revdep-rebuild

Do _not_ mask the hole lib directory, maybe it is possible to just mask the libraries.
Another possibility is to just make some symlinks, but i have no idea if that will work witch this package, i doesn´t look like it will.

Anyways, if you installed this package using portage, please open a bug and let the devs know about this.

hope this helps a bit ...

cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: