Getting Mozilla-Firebird to use Evolution for mailto:
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruronikenshin83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Getting Mozilla-Firebird to use Evolution for mailto: Reply with quote

I searched around on Gentoo Forums yesterday night for a way to do this, and I didn't come up with anything. However, this morning, I found a way to do it which was posted by one of the Ximian Developers. So I thought I'd give something back to the forums which have taught me so much over the last few months.

How to get Firebird to load up Evolution for emails

First, go to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=61676&highlight=firebird+extensions and check out ebrostig's post on how to give users write permissions for the firebird extensions to work.

Then, you need to go to http://texturizer.net/firebird/index.html and click on "Extensions" then "MozEx" and click the Installer link.

Next, go to Tools --> Options --> Extensions --> MozEx --> Settings.

Click on the "Intercept mailto: clicks" button.

Under Commands --> Mailer Commands type "/usr/bin/evolution --no-splash mailto:%a"

Note: --no-splash is of course optional, since that just turns off the splash image for people (like yours truly) who don't need to see the splash every time i click an email link

Also, if you need a subject line to pop up as well, replace the Mailer Command with the following:

/usr/bin/evolution --no-splash mailto:%a?subject='%s'

Note: when i try this and there's not a subject line specified in the link, it puts a quotation mark in the subject header... not sure if that's what it's supposed to do, but i generally see very little subject specification in mailto links anyway... but if someone figures out that this is the wrong way to handle subjects, please correct me

And of course, to give credit where credit is due, the original posting was from the ximian archives -- http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/users/2003-July/010507.html

I'm not sure if this works for Mozilla as well, since I don't know if MozEx works for Mozilla as well. I would assume it does, but I have no first-hand experience with that...
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Docs, Tips & Tricks, as it is not a support request.
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip. I did find the quotations to be a bit irritating but I found that you just have to change the code to:
Code:

/usr/bin/evolution --no-splash mailto:%a?subject=%s

to get it to use the subject line without quotations. For those who can't see, I just removed the quotations around %s. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: