Need help installing Mozilla firebird/phoenix extensions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Need help installing Mozilla firebird/phoenix extensions Reply with quote

This problem has persisted for as long as I've used Mozilla, so I figured it must be something stupid I'm doing. When I try to install an extension, it fails because I don't have access to /usr/lib/...chrome which makes sense. But I can't figure out how to get firebird to install extensions into my home directory. I guess something like $HOME/.phoenix/[profile]/chrome. Themes install just fine. I even tried extracting the xpi file and copying the jar file into my chrome directory. I don't want to run a web browser as root. Any ideas?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, do as I do (it's not the best way, but it works)

Code:

1. su -
2. cd /usr/lib
3. chown -R root.root MozillaFirebird
4. chmod -R a+rw MozillaFirebird

Now you can install extensions as any user. I'm dependent on the tabbrowser extensions, can't live without them :)

Erik
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was hoping there was a way to configure mozilla to use another install/chrome directory other than the global one. I just find it quite odd that this "problem" hasn't been fixed after so many years. Unlike some other OSes, Linux is a true multi-user environment and all programs should respect that. But thanks anyway.
dna42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manny15 wrote:
Well, I was hoping there was a way to configure mozilla to use another install/chrome directory other than the global one. I just find it quite odd that this "problem" hasn't been fixed after so many years. Unlike some other OSes, Linux is a true multi-user environment and all programs should respect that. But thanks anyway.

AFAIK, as of now an extensions installer has to support that option explicitly, otherwise it won't work. even nastier is, that themes often suffer from the same troubles, and while one could argue, that installing browser extensions is the administrators task, that's certainly not true for themes...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: