View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrummieJim
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: PDF's try to print as letter, but cups is set to A4 Reply with quote

Hi,
This problem is really annoying me. I can print test pages (cups) ps documents (ggv) but whenever I try and print a pdf made by an American both xpdf and evince lock the printer up as it says it can't print pages of size 280x216 (US letter). I think this problem could be linked to poppler, on which they both depend, but there doesn't seem to be any USE flags to deal with this. Neither of these programs have options to change the paper size.

Any ideas?
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The print dialog of Adobe's Acrobat Reader has a checkbox option to shrink/expand PDF page images to the paper size. Does Evince or xpdf offer a similar option? That should do the trick, as it would expand US Letter to A4.

Paper sizes are provided by CUPS, through the PPD file I think. If you define US Letter in CUPS, you should be able to choose it in any CUPS-aware app. If there's no specific option for paper size, look for a Properties button in the print dialog.
BrummieJim
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Neither of these programs have options to change the paper size.

The problem lies somewhere else as CUPS is set to A4, the CUPS test page prints, PS files also work print from GGV. The only problem is printing from xpdf and evince.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried running xpdf with the "-paper A4" argument? Does that change anything?

The manpage says
Quote:
-paper size
Set the paper size to one of "letter", "legal", "A4", or "A3". This can also be set to "match", which will set the paper size to match the size specified in the PDF file. [config file: psPaperSize]
"match" seems to indicate that setting "-paper" will override the setting in the PDF file. You can also set "psPaperSize" in the config file.

Otherwise, when printing you are asked for the print command, you can set this to
Code:
lpr -o PageSize=A4 -P <printer name>
It's probably worthwhile checking that the printer accepts a "PageSize" option with
Code:
lpoptions -p <printer name> -l

The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
BrummieJim
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers but none of that worked. Apparently it's a poppler problem http://www.gnomefiles.org/comment.php?soft_id=898

Quote:
> Why do you need to enable --with-paper-a4
> in poppler's configure option ?

You need to enable --with-a4-papersize in Poppler's configure options because Xpdf does it like this and Poppler is a fork of Xpdf.

> Poppler should depend on the libgnomeprint/ui
> or KdePrinterUI related paper settings for a4,
> letter or whatever....

This is unfortunately not possible because nobody has implemented it so far for Poppler, a 0.3.3 software. Are you interested?

Seems it was incorporated into stable too early. I remember poppler causing lots of conflicts when it was added to the tree. Having to alter an e-build (I think that's how you'd put the configure in) to make a pdf reader act sensibly is stupid. I've just looked in the ebuild and it doesn't seem like theres a ./configure option. Why doesn't it do what CUPS is set to, or shouldn't there be some global option.
I'm not impressed.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrummieJim wrote:
You need to enable --with-a4-papersize in Poppler's configure options because Xpdf does it like this and Poppler is a fork of Xpdf.
There are two ways you can do this: the easy way and the less easy way .

The easy way is to use EXTRA_ECONF (not supported by gentoo) like so
Code:
EXTRA_ECONF="--with-a4-papersize" emerge -av app-text/poppler

The less easy way (the proper way) is to set up your own portage overlay, copy the ebuild there, modify it and emerge your own copy
  • Add the line PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" to /etc/make.conf
  • mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/app-text/poppler/files
  • cp /usr/portage/app-text/poppler/files/* /usr/local/portage/app-text/poppler/files
  • cp /usr/portage/app-text/poppler/poppler-0.5.4.ebuild /usr/local/portage/app-text/poppler/poppler-0.5.4-r99.ebuild
  • cd /usr/local/portage/app-text/poppler
  • Add
    Code:
    --with-a4-papersize \
    line as
    Code:
                     --enable-xpdf-headers \
                     --with-a4-papersize \
    in src_compile() in the ebuild
  • ebuild poppler-0.5.4-r99.ebuild digest
  • emerge -av =app-text/poppler/poppler-0.5.4-r99
This is all taken from https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3643861.html#3643861 and https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3643871.html#3643871 by _ph and Corona688 respectively.

0.5.4 is the unstable ebuild, if you want the stable one, change 0.5.4 to 0.5.3 throughout.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: