*Solved* Counterstrike high ping server on 2x Amd Opteron
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colobolo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: *Solved* Counterstrike high ping server on 2x Amd Opteron Reply with quote

Hi,

We installed gentoo Amd64 on our new tyan server. after it was setup we have installed a counterstrike source server (steam). The server is working oke but the gameserver ping is fairly high an fluctuates much more than other counterstrike servers..

Normal ping (dosbox) from my home address to the gentoo server ip is good, 11 ms. This ping is also very constant at 11 ms.

Pinging the counterstrike server though, on port 27015 at the server ip with hlsw gives a higher ping. about 20 to 25 ms and this ping also fluctuates much more. Sometimes ping goes up even till 35 or 45 ms while pinging with hlsw even when there are no players on the server.

ALso ingame ping fluctuates btween these values.

The server is a tyan barebone gx28 with 2 x opteron 248 processors and 2 gb dual channel ram.
So the setup should be a piece of cake in handling the counterstrike server.

Can anyone give some info about how we can setup the server better to achieve good ping for the counterstrike server ?

Ps.

I was not sure if i should have posted the topic here or under games or under networking. So it would better fit in another category then just let me know.
colobolo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new kernel was compiled. and that did the trick..

GameServer ingame ping times dropped from >30 to about 11 to 15 ms. Which is good enough for us :)

thanks PaulBredbury and others for pointing in the good direction.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=3019615
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it fixed, but I'm not sure why you consider 45 a 'high' ping. I consider it pretty decent these days (people are packing so many processes into servers it just gets impossible to get really low pings).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: