I wrote some docs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrairieGeek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: I wrote some docs Reply with quote

I am sonewhat new to gentoo and very new to sparc hardware. After about three weeks, I have finished installing gentoo on a sparc ultra5. I tried to document my install. In case anyone is interested, the howto is located at : http://www.usd.edu/~djennewe/GentooSparc/gentoo_sparc.html
Feel free to point out problems and to make suggestions. Learning gentoo has been ... educational.
dArkMaGE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you much... although ive been with gentoo for a while im just beginning the journey to sparc-land and its nice to see what others are doing.
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: gentoo on sparc64 Reply with quote

here is my doc https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=26128, maybe we can merge our docs into a HOWTO.

I hope this will help somebody (sorry no X configuration, this is a server).

xming
rudholm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: missing iptables EPATH_SOURCES Reply with quote

Very nice docs, thank you.

I used them as a guide installing from the current ISO on an Ultra Enterprise 2/300. Everything seems to go smoothly until "emerge system" tries to emerge iptables-1.2.7a-r3. It fails because it seems to be missing the EPATCH _SOURCE file: /usr/portage/net-firewall/iptables/files/sparc64_limit_fix.patch.bz2.

A little Googling reveals that this version of iptables seems to have some bugs and has been withdrawn from availability. As far as I know, I don't think I need iptables (don't intend to do any firewalling with this box). Can I comment out iptables from "system"? If so, where is the "right" place to do that? Or, is there some other solution I should consider?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rudholm,

If you emerge sync again, the patch should now be available for iptables.

As for removing iptables from the requirements for system, you could do this by editing /etc/make.profile/packages, but each time you rsync your changes would be overwritten.
rudholm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: so far, so good... Reply with quote

OK, emerge sync seems to have resolved it. Hopefully I'll know by the end of today if it ultimately works.

As it should, the emerge system process just picked up where it left off, which I assume is OK, in spite of the fact that I did an emerge sync and emerge -u portage after emerge system had gotten through about half of its packages. I would have just started the whole installation process over from scratch but that would have set me back two days and I'm very eager to use Gentoo on my Ultra.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: