View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubAtomic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your X setup ...
Code:

/etc/X11/XF86Config

Under the monitor section make sure that if you have a DPMS option, comment it out like so ...
Code:

#Option      "DPMS"
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122197
blamothe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks alot
radixvir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for you help i fixed it!
Heatryn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you fixed it? With the "setterm -blank 0" command?
compucoder
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: black screen Reply with quote

How do you stop gentoo from blanking the screen.

I run gentoo without X - just cli and every x minutes the screen goes black. I don't think this apm as I didn't even compile apm support into the kernel. Must be a tty type setting. Anyone know what needs to be changed.

Thanks.
TheRAt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
setterm -blank 0
should take care of your problem... I have that in my /etc/conf.d/local.start and it works fine for me...

Get Firefox and rediscover the web!

BOFH Excuse #295:
The Token fell out of the ring. Call us when you find it.
Lior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: screen goes black. Reply with quote

my screen goes black if I don't use the pc for a period of time.
can someone tell me how to cancel it?
I need my screean to be always on.
( it's not the x-server, goes I'm in textual )

can anyone help me?
DDV01
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

setterm -blank 0

will disable this

see also:
man setterm
man terminfo
etc.
codemaker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: How to stop screen from blanking [solved] Reply with quote

If I leave my computer for a few minutes, the screen always blanks out (as in screensaving not as in a weird graphical error). I don't want it to blank. I only want kde screensaver to run.

I tried

xset s 0

and

xset s nobank

but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by codemaker on Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

xset -dpms
codemaker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it worked! Thanks! :D
noobix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Console screensaver Q Reply with quote

Can anybody tell please how to switch off that annoying console screensaver? Or change the time it gets on?
Couldn't find the info in /etc, sorry.
Thank you.

BTW, can I change it to some other one with a moving picture or something?
che
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

setterm -blank <n>
might help.
MorfiusX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Monitor Turns off with No Activity Reply with quote

This isn't really a problem, just something I'd like to change the time on. Whenever there is no activity for a couple minutes (around 5 maybe), the monitor will go black. I didn't want ACPI on this machine, so I compiled the kernel with out it. Is there a setting somewhere that I can adjust this interval. I am not running X or and desktop yet. (it's still compiling) So, it's doing this just at the bash prompt and while compiling. Hitting a key (i've been using caps or num lock) will bring it back up. TIA.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use setterm, somethink like setterm -blank 0 or setterm -powersave off, see man setterm.
gentoogibi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Aboout the boot splash image ! Reply with quote

Code:
U can simply use setterm ... and --help ;)

And if it works try to put it into a boot script or somethin'! That's where i cannot help you because i am tryin' to find out what scripts does gentoo run at startup :) !
blue.sca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/conf.d/local.start ;)
Lindsey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Getting my computer to stay awake during emerge... [Solved] Reply with quote

All right, so I just installed Gentoo and I'm ready to start emerging some apps. However, I'm having a problem, though it's possibly not a Gentoo or even a Linux issue. I emerge gnome (or anything big, it wouldn't matter). It's going fine. I leave it alone for a while. I stop paying attention, and eventually my monitor goes dark because that's what my monitor does. When I come back, I can't get the monitor to show anything again! I hit the space bar and nothing happens, and I see the caps lock light blinking on my wireless keyboard's base station, which makes me wonder if something's wrong with the keyboard (though this last time, the light stopped blinking when I hit space, so I don't know). I haven't had any trouble with the keyboard other than this.

This is the third time I've tried emerging gnome, and I decided to open a different virtual console and run top there, just to see if that would somehow keep the monitor from going dark. It didn't. Now I don't know what to do, because I have no way of knowing how far along it is in emerging. The first two times, I rebooted my computer because I didn't know what else to do. The second time I tried it, I noticed there were about thirty fewer dependencies, which I suppose were installed the first time before I rebooted. The third time, it was the same number as the second time. I don't want to reboot again, because I don't want to cut it off in the middle of its emerge. But it sure would be nice to know what's going on.

So I guess my question is, how do I get my computer to stay awake while I'm emerging something big?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lindsey on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:38 am; edited 2 times in total
tutaepaki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, my monitor does that, but it always comes back when I use the KB.
what about alt-f2 to switch to a different text console, and alt-f1 back.

Other wise, you could try running your emerge under nohup and background it. ie
Code:
nohup emerge whatever &

The output from emerge will be in a file nohup.out

hth
tut.
TheOtherShoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started using Gentoo my computer (a laptop) would power off during a long emerge. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but eventually I found out that I had APM support in my kernel was configured improperly, which meant the fan wasn't turning on when it was supposed to. An emerge is very processor intensive, so during a long emerge my CPU would overheat without any cooling and trigger an automatic shutdown.

Maybe your computer does this standby thing when it gets too hot instead of turning off. You could try listening for your CPU fan while emerging; if that turns out to be the problem you'll need to reconfigure your power management (I did it by switching to ACPI) or just turn power management off in your grub/lilo conf.

Another possibility: If this turns out to be a sleep when idle feature (did you compile ACPI sleep states support into your kernel?) then disabling power management in grub.conf should still stop it.
Lindsey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the ideas. It's unresponsive now; I'm going to leave it alone for now in case it's still doing the emerge, and turn it off and back on tomorrow and try these things. I think that it probably is a kernel issue, because I didn't have a problem like this with emerge system and so forth, before I compiled my kernel. Nor did I have a problem compiling the kernel itself. It's only after I rebooted and started using my new kernel that this started happening. So yeah.

I honestly don't know if I compiled in ACPI sleep states support. :/ I used genkernel with --menuconfig and pulled out everything that I thought I wouldn't need, so it's possible that I didn't compile that in. But I was mostly pulling out things like RAID and SCSI support that I was absolutely sure I wouldn't need. I'll check tomorrow.

Quote:
well, my monitor does that, but it always comes back when I use the KB.
what about alt-f2 to switch to a different text console, and alt-f1 back.

Yeah, it always came back when I typed before I was using this new kernel. As for the switching consoles thing, I tried that, and it didn't work. I actually tried logging in as root on a third console and adding a user (not being able to see what I was doing), so if it's there tomorrow, I'll know the computer was responding.
Lindsey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update. I did two things to try and fix the problem. First I added acpi=off and apm=off to my append= line in lilo.conf and rebooted. It looks like

Code:

append="... acpi=off apm=off"

with some other parameters where the ... is.

The other thing I did was to try to emerge gnome inside a screen session. I started the emerge, then detached and logged out as directed, so I had a login prompt.

The monitor shut off once, but it came back (to the login prompt) when I hit the keys. I let it shut off again, and the second time it wouldn't come back on. :/ (Actually, it comes on, but what's showing on the screen is part of the output of one of the configure scripts that's part of the emerge. It's only showing halfway down the screen -- it's like that part of the screen was supposed to be erased and never was. And it's even stranger because I'm logged out right now. Totally weird.)

Okay, trying again. Will try checking the processor fan this time.
Lindsey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear to God, I'm not trying to up my post count...just documenting my steps. =)

I realized that before, I forgot to log in as root before doing the emerge. So this time I did exactly as I did above, except as root, and this time with my case open and keeping an eye on the processor fan (which is four years old and missing a blade -- I should probably get a new one anyway).

I even attached and detached from the screen session a couple times to make sure it the emerge was going like it was supposed to. It was. So now I'm logged out, still emerging, and just waiting for my monitor to go off...or not...
Lindsey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right. My monitor went off twice, and twice I came over and hit the keys and my login prompt came back. The third time it went off, I came over and hit the keys, and what came up on the screen was some garbage that looks like part of what a configure script usually writes to the screen. It's only covering part of the screen, though, and it's not actually doing anything, just sitting there frozen across the screen. This is very strange, because I was logged out! And once again, the caps lock light is blinking on my Logitech wireless keyboard's base station. (I have no documentation on what it means when that light blinks, but I think it's related to the computer's standby problem because it's the second or third time I've noticed them happening together.)

I am now completely lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For what it's worth: When I was installing from the LiveCD, whenever I left my computer running doing something (like bootstrapping) for a long time, part of the screen would freeze showing some stuff similar to what I'm seeing now -- looked like stuff from the screen output of configure or make. But whenever I woke up the computer by doing anything with the mouse or keyboard, the screen would go back to showing what was actually going on. At the time, I figured the funky stuff on the screen was just a quirk of the LiveCD. Now I'm not so sure.

Oh yeah, and I've been watching and listening to the processor fan. It's fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: