Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I'M DONE - 4 YEARS of Gentoo is ENOUGH.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How alive/dead is Gentoo for you? (Only vote, if you use Gentoo for at least one year.)
Even better than ever
42%
 42%  [ 98 ]
Hasn’t changed much
23%
 23%  [ 54 ]
Could be better
24%
 24%  [ 55 ]
In bad shape, there’s not much left
9%
 9%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 228

beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving Gentoo... Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
beandog wrote:
LukynZ wrote:
One update of small library and recompilation of 118 packages needed and several fails.

This may be a stupid question, I dunno, but ....... have you ever considered *not* upgrading the library?

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to leave things alone now unless I really, really, really need to touch them.
hehe... that's funny when it's right next to your sig :lol:

Heh, yah... I have a new motto now, "I get really cranky when things don't work right." I've certainly become a lot less crazy.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I don't understand about this topic is the reason for the subject, and the reason for posting your intent to leave.

Why should anyone care?

I've started with a dozen distros, left most of them, and never once announced my intent to leave, even if it was because of frustration with some feature that doesn't work right. If it doesn't work, probably everyone knows, and probably you have already posted a thread about how to fix it.

I don't think these threads have anything to do with the intent to leave, but more to do with the intent to have someone fuss over the person who started the thread. I think these people are attention whores. The distro is not a spouse. It doesn't have a personality, or feelings to be hurt by being spurned. You can't really threaten it or take revenge against it, and all this sort of thread does is make everybody cranky. You won't change anybody's mind about whether they leave or not, and probably won't change anybody's mind who is about to start using the distro either.

Have fun wherever you go.
doctork
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
The thing I don't understand about this topic is the reason for the subject, and the reason for posting your intent to leave.

Why should anyone care?

I've started with a dozen distros, left most of them, and never once announced my intent to leave, even if it was because of frustration with some feature that doesn't work right. If it doesn't work, probably everyone knows, and probably you have already posted a thread about how to fix it.

I don't think these threads have anything to do with the intent to leave, but more to do with the intent to have someone fuss over the person who started the thread. I think these people are attention whores. The distro is not a spouse. It doesn't have a personality, or feelings to be hurt by being spurned. You can't really threaten it or take revenge against it, and all this sort of thread does is make everybody cranky. You won't change anybody's mind about whether they leave or not, and probably won't change anybody's mind who is about to start using the distro either.

It's about time someone said this!!
--
doc
tgR10
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
It's easy if you update your box once a week, but if you wait 6 months, then it can be pretty hard actually or long.

not long ago like 3-5 months i did several updates of gentoo which wasn't updated since 2007 :) no problems at all
http://userbar.tgr.debil.eu/userbar.jpg
Ormaaj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:

Why should anyone care?

Its about time. This thread is useless without an angry rant.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
The distro is not a spouse.
hmm... there's an interesting concept...

People use ubuntu, opensuse, fedora... people get into an intricate relationship with gentoo.

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if you guys took my post as an angry rant. It was an observation, about posts like this that I've seen in RedHat, Suse, Gentoo, Ubuntu, and just about every other distro I've ever watched a forum for. I'm sure this sort of thing happened on those distros I used but did not watch forums for.

This type of thread has absolutely no benefit to anyone. It's not some sort of rage making me say that, it's just a statement of fact.

It's like an angry monkey started this thread, and he's just gotta throw p00p at something. Why? Just leave, without all the drama.
LukynZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is a discussion I have never wanted, well...

beandog wrote:

This may be a stupid question, I dunno, but ....... have you ever considered *not* upgrading the library?

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to leave things alone now unless I really, really, really need to touch them.

Yes, but I have no idea about all libraris at my system. I just run update and update it. How can I know, what some small package can do in the future? New version is just new version 'cause bugfixes, features etc. so I install it. Maybe it is stupid, but sooner or later I have to do it.

1clue wrote:

Why should anyone care?

I can't catch your point. I was coming here to read this forum all the time I was using Gentoo. I don't have much posts, but few I have If I needed a help or I was able to help. And I didn't want to leave this community and don't say why and thanks to devs and ppl around here. Well maybe it was a misstake and nobody care. Yes, I don't want to someone care. I just wanted to say this. Nothing more and nothing less. It was fairness for me....
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukynZ wrote:

I can't catch your point. I was coming here to read this forum all the time I was using Gentoo. I don't have much posts, but few I have If I needed a help or I was able to help. And I didn't want to leave this community and don't say why and thanks to devs and ppl around here. Well maybe it was a misstake and nobody care. Yes, I don't want to someone care. I just wanted to say this. Nothing more and nothing less. It was fairness for me....

Well, I guess that's a new one on me. I never imagined it was a "thanks for the help" or similar. I certainly didn't read it that way, but going back on your original post I can read it that way now.

My apologies.

Most times I have seen this type of thread, there is some very obvious rage or drama going on. Now, reading this thread again, I don't see as much of it as usual. I'm maybe reading more into it than I should.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, I looked at the original post then the last 2 pages.

I've been a long time linux user.
I did look at gentoo when it was 1st out (long ago) :lol:

But up until the last couple of years, I always hand built my systems anyway, kernel and packages.
When I bought my new box, I decided to try gentoo, and I've been happy with it (for the most part)

It's not for everyone.
But then, neither is building a complete system from scratch, either hardware or software.
I still hand build my computer systems (hardware) from scratch.

Bottom line, if you don't like gentoo, or any system for that matter, then find something that works for you.

Complaining because you bought a yugo, and it doesn't work like a nissan pickup is foolish, IMO.

Be well, my friends.
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually going to post a similar thread when I saw that the top two posts here already was about the same thing so I guess I'll just "borrow" this one for a bit instead.

I've been running the same install of Gentoo for 7 years (since 2002) without ever having to reinstall even though some hardware upgrades once or twice have forced me to "migrate" my install I've always had the same install as far as I'm concerned and that's just plain amazing to me.

Unlike other operating systems I never experienced Gentoo becoming slower and slower during those 7 years and it always just worked only needing the occasional update here and there to keep it current and those I could run in a terminal window on another virtual desktop while working on my stuff as usual.

When I first installed Gentoo it was all about compiling things and being able to squeeze the most out of my hardware, optimize optimize optimize, then later on I switched from trying to uber optimize my CLFAGS to focusing on tweaking USE flags and being able to control exactly how much cruft I wanted on my system, and clearly being completely in control like that pays off because I probably only had 2-3 system freezes a year and they were usually caused by nvidias binary graphics driver.

Then two days ago I wanted to install Windows to run some BIOS update software that only works under "real" Windows (tried in Virtualbox) and the install said "Do you want to format disk0, partition0 ?" blahblah and I said yupp because that was my empty 20GB harddrive I wanted it installed on but when it started to format it presented a completely different disk as being disk0, parition0 which just happened to be my gentoo disk, I paniced and closed it down but I was too late.

So spending an entire day recovering my files from a an old backup and the broken disk I managed to get back 99% of my files but something in that last 1% was really important obviously so I couldn't get it running again so I decided to install Ubuntu and just use as much of my old settings as possible.

Now I'm using Ubuntu and I'm actually really happy with it, installing/uninstalling is a breeze and with it being so popular there are packages for just about everything without having to hunt for ebuilds or maintain layman overlays and speed / stability wise so far it's proven to be a worthy successor after spending those initial 10 hours configuring it to look and act like my old Gentoo install.

Gentoo was my first Linux distribution that made me completely get rid of Windows and I learned a lot about Linux from just installing and maintaining it that I otherwise never would have known, it was always rock solid and I'll miss configuring USE flags, getting excited about new GCC versions, how helpful this forum have been to solve the occasional issue and I'll of course miss the power of portage.

I'll now join the lurkers of this forum.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowspirit wrote:

Gentoo was my first Linux distribution that made me completely get rid of Windows and I learned a lot about Linux from just installing and maintaining it that I otherwise never would have known, it was always rock solid and I'll miss configuring USE flags, getting excited about new GCC versions, how helpful this forum have been to solve the occasional issue and I'll of course miss the power of portage.

I'll now join the lurkers of this forum.

You`ll be back :wink: :D
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged from Leaving Gentoo... by LukynZ onward to I'M DONE - 4 YEARS of Gentoo is ENOUGH.
We only need one such thread (if that :roll:) at any given time.
CurtE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timebandit, thanks for that note. I read the last few post and the first few. I was confused when the original poster was leaving in 2003 and angry. Then I'm reading LukynZ's post and wondering why he's back (and leaving).

Gentoo is different and sometimes it doesn't work properly on some machines. I have installed several versions in the last 3 years, gave up due to GRUB not working, LILO not working, package that wouldn't install correctly, etc. I'd wait a little while and try a newer or older version. Eventually, the hang-up would leave. Either I got it right or the old/new version got past it. I still have problem, but I learn something every time. Would it be easier to use Fedora or something else, maybe (I had Fedora up and running in my Linux Admin I class) but I didn't need another gui system. I needed a server for free, gentoo works for me. If it doesn't work for you, so be it. If it does, congrats.

Nuff said.
nirax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doctork wrote:
1clue wrote:
Why should anyone care?

It's about time someone said this!!

its funny, i remember similar statements back in 1996 echomails when elitist FidoNet Nodes, NC and NECs of Z2 were talking about "points" (users) moving to the Internet..

mmh back than i thought the same - but hey, i was 23 and avantgarde. The FidoNet well.. is as dead as the now useless terms we used back than ^^
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue++ great reply, I give you 9000 internets.
chris...
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xPAGANx wrote:
After four years you have one post...

yeah i noticed that
i've made more posts then that guy while i was just fixing one issue, fixing as i fixed it
its probably becuase im not a programmer, supporter, introducer or a security guru witness
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Time to blow Gentoo off htis disk Reply with quote

I doubt Gentoo will be of any significance in ten more years should it last that long. I've watched its usefulness on my machine decline no matter how much I update. It's approaching two years since I was last able to actually watch a movies and the recent changes to portage, I'd guess, have rendered it all but useless. I was concerned when Daniel left and from my perspective I say Gentoo is in free fall. Too bad.

I dumped SuSE, which I had long used because it never permitted me to simply watch a movie. Early on Gentoo offered a steep learning curve, but it's now vertical. It seems to me that portage should have been replaced in a more organized way. USE flags magically change without the least bit of explanation. MOre recently I see that patches can not be applied and I seem to be the only user having this problem?

If Gentoo hopes to be more than a hack distro, developers need to be what they use to be .

Dasvidania

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged last post from Other Things Gentoo.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm done with gentoo after 6 years. (for good)

I found debian lenny (with backports) and it's nice having a system where everything works out of the box and can be easily updated. I'm just more productive on it.

Plus I've always found gentoo unusually slow compared to other distributions (close to ubuntu slow) - I've found debian, arch, etc. to be much faster (the benefits for building from source don't seem to outweigh anything for me anymore)
Lost in android development land.
Tolstoi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try to keep this thread alive as long as possible. Yay!
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a 3 years long thread, it's insane...
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: when did gentoo jump the shark Reply with quote

just wondering when gentoo jumped the shark.

i remember installing gentoo for the first time back in 2001. it was complicated, but i could follow the install guide easily with about 20 easy to pick out steps. the guide has grown and grown to become almost a gentoo general manual (i guess it's called a manual isn't it now?). once or twice, there was progress towards a gui installer that made the mundane steps easier to get through without having to reread an ever growing manual. alas, those projects have always been put to the wayside.

i'm guessing it was shortly after 2004 when robbins turned the project over to the foundation. istr a push to do releases quarterly, then to never do releases again. istr slots are in, slots are out. blah blah blah.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo has always been versionless. The releases are just install media, not Gentoo itself, and now occur weekly, by the way. If you want something more terse than the Gentoo Handbook, you might be interested in the Gentoo Linux x86 Quick Install Guide.

Never heard that phrase, "jumping the shark". Although I can kind of tell what it means by context, what's the origin of the term?

- John
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john_r_graham wrote:
Never heard that phrase, "jumping the shark". Although I can kind of tell what it means by context, what's the origin of the term?
It was spawned from an apparently famous incident involving a guy in leather and a fish in water.

Merged the preceding two posts.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: