Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Grub Error Collection [Part 4]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: multi boot win/linux Reply with quote

reify wrote:

grub.conf says

Code:
default 0
timeout 30
title=gentoo linux 2.6.15
root ((hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hdb3

There's at least one thing wrong with that root line. It has an extra leading parethesis [ ( ]. Also, the root line should point to your /boot partition, so if (hd0,0) is your Windows install it won't boot Gentoo. Also, you don't have a section to boot Windows.
reify
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies
The /dev/hda has nothing on it; it's a new disk. Grub is in the mbr of /dev/hdb, I think. I don't understand the line root (hd0,0), (the extra bracket is a typo not in the file) I thought it should be root (hd1,0) which if i get it is /dev/hdb1 which is where the /boot is. Grub complains if I use that and I can only proceed if I edit the root entry using the grub command line back to root (hd0,0). I will have a look at the grub.conf.example as you suggest but I am well confused as to what points at what.
ectospasm, I didnt add the windows boot bit as if I don't understand the grub syntax I cannot get the map line right on the windows entry or the one for the /dev/hdc optical drive where the windows intsall disk will boot from.
Reify
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generically, (hd1,0) refers to /dev/hdb1, so if /boot is something else (or if there's no separate /boot partition), you'll need to adjust accordingly.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ectospasm wrote:
Generically, (hd1,0) refers to /dev/hdb1, so if /boot is something else (or if there's no separate /boot partition), you'll need to adjust accordingly.

Actually, not quite. GRUB calls hd0 to the first disk detected by the BIOS, whilst the kernel calls hda to the Master disk on the first IDE channel. So, if someone sets the BIOS to boot from the slave disk in the first channel, GURB will see it as hd0, whilst the kernel will later call it hdb. Does it make sense?

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reify,

try using the following grub.conf configuration, after setting your BIOS to boot from the first disk:
Code:
default 0
timeout 30
title=gentoo linux 2.6.15
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hdb3

title=windows
rootnoverify(hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

To install GRUB into the MBR do the following:
Code:
# grub
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit
#

As NeddySeagoon has warned you, after installing windows you need to boot with a live-cd and reinstall GRUB into the MBR. Don't forget to set the Windows partition boot flag active in fdisk.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
reify
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I had to do several stupid things first but jmbsvicetto's advice got me there. The most stupid was trying to remove the active flag from the linux disk. I did the toggle but never wrote it back :-(... but eventually
dezydery
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the weirdest problem, grub is not even starting to boot on my system - i.e. no stage 1 error (or beyond), no output from grub at all, almost no evidence for grub even existing except that the system normally has a 'no boot device found' error, but when trying to boot from the hard drive you don't get that.

Here are the drives/partitions:

/dev/sda1 - data

/dev/sdb1 - data

/dev/sdc1 - /boot
/dev/sdc2 - swap
/dev/sdc3 - /
/dev/sdc4 - /home

/dev/sdd1 - data

The last drive (sdd) was newly added today. It's the same model as sdc (Seagate 500Gb SATA II) and connected to the SATA II controllers on my Asus SLI Premium. The other two drives (sda and sdb) are older Seagate 400Gb models (SATA I) and connected to the SATA controllers.

I think the grub drive positions 'change' depending on whether I boot from the live CD vs booting from the hard disk. If this is caused by my BIOS I can see no obvious way to change it - I just get to choose whether to boot from CD or HD, and which HD has priority. Only the SATA II drives show up in this list, which I suspect is the problem: first drive in the list is (hd0) when booting, however booting from the live CD it's (hd2).

Somehow before I must have stumbled blindly onto a solution whereby grub was physically installed on /dev/sdc (which it sees as (hd2) at install time) but when booting managed to figure out that everything needs to be referred to as (hd0) now.

About the device.map - should it reflect how things are at the time grub installs, or at the time when grub actually boots?

I've been through the Gentoo install process a few times, had a good look in the Grub manual (the install command might just help but could I can't see how). I even tried LILO at one point, which also fails completely to have an impact.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my experience that grub does not play as nicely with SATA as it does with PATA. I do know that grub-install will probably not work. You'll have to use the grub console.

Are all of the SATA drives seen by the BIOS? I'd make device.map have the same order. In the grub console you can generate a device map, but that may not be what you want because you mention that it seems to have a different order when you boot from the LiveCD.

Here's what I'd do, at the grub console:

grub> root (hd2,0)
grub> setup (hd0)

Assuming that's the order the BIOS sees the drives. If it's different, you may need to do some funky mapping stuff like you'd have to do if Windows was not on (hd0,0).
dezydery
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. :) I tried what you suggested (along with many other things) and had no luck.

It seems the problem is quite fundamental, given the steps I've gone through (using grub-install and grub command line, trying lilo, trying all sorts of combinations).

For whatever reason the system really didn't like booting with the new hard drive installed. When I took the drive out, it booted. Although, the drive itself works fine - I'd created the single partition, formatted it, copied a movie onto it, played it in Knoppix and deleted it.

The original configuration in more detail was this:

SII SATA Raid controller (using JBOD - the disks just come up individually in Linux):

Disk 1 - 400Gb
Disk 3 - 400Gb

Nvidia SATA II controller:

Disk 4 - 500Gb (the one with my system on it)
Disk 2 - 500Gb (the new one)

Originally, without that last disk, I'd been able to get the grub boot screen just fine, although it took some tweaking - basically it's (hd0) in the grub config, even though I installed it on (hd2).

Note: the BIOS only sees the Nvidia controller in its list of boot devices.

After last night's fun and games I tried to attack this from the hardware angle:

Attempt 1: move the 500Gb disks around on the Nvidia controller so the system drive is on controller 1 and the new drive is on controller 2.
Attempt 2: move the new 500Gb drive from Nvidia controller 4 to SII controller 2 - i.e. get it out the way so the BIOS only sees the system drive in the boot list.
Attempt 3: move all drives on to the Nvidia controller, with the system drive being in controller 1.

Only attempt 3 actually worked (which makes sense, because it was the most difficult cabling arrangement to plug in!)

So with everything on the Nvidia controller, the system boots up just fine. This hasn't really solve the problem, but it's worked around it. It clearly doesn't like the drives being on different controllers, so if I ever want to install a 5th drive the problem is going to come back.

One more very weird thing: my system drive is still /dev/sdc even though all the positions swapped around and it's the boot drive. Is this because my system remembers the individual drive somehow, or is it because my grub.conf points it to /dev/sdc and grub corrects things for me at boot?
robinswan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: grub failed booting windows on Athlon64 SATA hard disk Reply with quote

I had successfully emerged and seted up grub on my machine -- Athlon64 + SATA disk,
and configure it with:
Code:
 # grub.conf
default 0
timeout 30

title Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.15-r5 root=/dev/sda9

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

It's work to boot Linux, but failed to boot Windows !
this configuration is work on my ATA IDE system,

why? and any idea take me out from this trouble?
thx in advanced!
roxor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: where is my grub.conf? Reply with quote

hey guys

it may have been answered before but didn't find any topic about that, rather embarassing, problem. =)

well, I simply can't find my grub.conf anymore? First of all, I'm a linux/gentoo noob, so forgive me if I'm a bit confused.

- I've searched for it using "find /* grub.conf" --> no result
- the directory /boot/grub/ does not exist anymore? Could it be somerwhere else?

Any help is highly appreciated!

regards, rox
_loki_
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure you have mounted your bootpartition before searching?
try
Code:

mount /boot && find /boot -iname 'grub.conf'

it should be in /boot/grub/grub.conf (and I'm pretty sure it is after /boot is mounted ;-) )
roxor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg, u're right!

thanks, everythings working now!
regards, rox
biogentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi robinswan:

Post your partition table, and was your Windo$s working before this?

Bye
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

You need to post the info biogentoo asked and you should let us know how you installed GRUB into the MBR.
If you made this misteadk
Code:
setup (hd0,0)

while installing GRUB into the MBR, you will need to boot with the Windows XP install cd, boot into the recovery console and run fixboot.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
robinswan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Post your partition table, and was your Windo$s working before this?

yes, it work properly before grub installation.
My partition table:

Code:
    sda1        Boot        Primary   NTFS                              8003.20
    sda5                    Logical   W95 FAT32                        15726.74
    sda6                    Logical   W95 FAT32                         8389.79
    sda7                    Logical   Linux ext2                         254.99
    sda8                    Logical   Linux swap / Solaris               509.97
    sda9                    Logical   Linux ext3                        1200.90
    sda10                  Logical   Linux ext3                       10001.95
    sda11                  Logical   Linux ext3                        5000.98
    sda12                  Logical   Linux ext3                        3002.23
robinswan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.

You need to post the info biogentoo asked and you should let us know how you installed GRUB into the MBR.
If you made this misteadk
Code:
setup (hd0,0)

while installing GRUB into the MBR, you will need to boot with the Windows XP install cd, boot into the recovery console and run fixboot.

yeap, maybe I had ran error grub command while grub setup.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged above 5 posts.
penetrode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Grub repeats "Grub loading stage1.5" after 'emerge Reply with quote

I have just updated my profile to 2006.0 and done an 'emerge -e world'. I rebooted the system and was greeted with the "Grub loading stage1.5" repeating infinitely:

Grub loading stage1.5
Grub loading stage1.5
Grub loading stage1.5
Grub loading stage1.5
Grub loading stage1.5
Grub loading stage1.5
Grub loading stage1.5

like so.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, and what can I do about it?
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Have you tried reinstalling GRUB into the MBR? If nothing else works, you might try deleting the /boot/grub/*_stage_1_5 files.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
penetrode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.

Have you tried reinstalling GRUB into the MBR? If nothing else works, you might try deleting the /boot/grub/*_stage_1_5 files.

Thanks, Jorge.

I just downloaded the new 2006.0 LiveCD and I'm going to do that and report my results.
penetrode
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

penetrode wrote:
jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.

Thanks, Jorge.

I just downloaded the new 2006.0 LiveCD and I'm going to do that and report my results.

Okay -- that fixed it. Thanks. It's nice when the solutions are simple.
daveman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: bootloader error Reply with quote

I recently downloaded gentoo 2006.0 for my athlon 64 cpu. I did almost exactly as the installation guide said to do. Anyway, the whole installation went quite well. but when I was done I rebooted and grub loaded up, I tried to get into gentoo but it came up w/ an error message that read:

Booting 'Gentoo Linux 2006.0'

root (hd0,0)
Filesytem type is ext2fs, parition type is 0x83
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.15-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hda3

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue...

I've tried almost everthing to fix it. And after nothing worked I decided that I must have done sothing wrong or careless during the installation. So I then tried wiping out gentoo and installing the whole thing over again, hoping that maybe is I was more careful this time that it would work, but to my surprise I just ended back up at the error :evil: :?: :!: I dont think that i can take much more, i stayed to 3:30am trying to get it to work. And i dont think that I am alone cuz my friends all complain of the same error message. Help would be greatly appreciated. thanx in advance. (I find grub quite confusing, i'm used to LILO, and this is my first time working w/grub)
swooshOnLn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you set-up grub manually? or with "grub-install"? Also, what is your "grub.conf"? what does "ls /boot" return?

If you dont know how to get in your system, you are going to have to boot with the LiveCD (or somthign that provides the "chroot" command, and chroot to your computer.

This is my font size, color, and signature. It will change to whatever I pick. How cool is that?
cchapman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try removing /boot from your kernel and initramfs if you have both... that should work
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: