Possible: Gentoo as a web server ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YeniBir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Possible: Gentoo as a web server ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I want to set-up a linux based server, everybody' told me to use debian or centos, but in fact i do not like them much. I really like gentoo but nobody's recommended gentoo as a web server. What do you guys thinking? Is gentoo a bleeding edge for server use? Anyone use it for web server? (sorry if I am asking the dumbest question)

thanks a lot
kfiaciarka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Index:Apache2
Read some howto's about it:)
Shopro
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Gentoo as web server amongst other services it runs for our company. Never though Gentoo as too bleeding edge, at least then if one only applies security updates on the server. I can recommend Gentoo for server use.
YeniBir
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kfiaciarka, I've read all of them. Best wiki ever online. But I've needed someone to courage me to use it.

@Shopro, one more question, I've read lots of emerge problem about stopped service or unstabilized systems. Did you have any update problem?
jhunholz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My webserver is running Gentoo and I haven't had any problems at all! Just don't be too hasty to upgrade everythign when new releases come out. Give them time to make sure they work well, then its safe to upgrade.
RlC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if you post in a windows forum, they would recommend it :twisted:

i read people recommended not gentoo because you have to compile everything. and a webserver would need his ressources for "other things"
however, if you want to upgrade (eg. php5), there come a lot of problems (ok, i don´t know about other distros), which can cause downtime.

but if your life doesn´t depend on the server running, there isn´t a reason not to use gentoo
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running apache on gentoo for a corporate intranet and one at home. Works like a charm, just make sure you made your homework prior to upgrading. Unlike Debian an upgrade may very well result in breakage from time to time if you don't pay attention to announcements or newsletters.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RlC wrote:
i read people recommended not gentoo because you have to compile everything. and a webserver would need his ressources for "other things"
however, if you want to upgrade (eg. php5), there come a lot of problems (ok, i don´t know about other distros), which can cause downtime.

That's rubbish, read `man make.conf` and look at the PORTAGE_NICENESS variable, by increasing portage niceness the kernel gives other 'normal' processes highest priority for during compile jobs, a value of '19' for example would only allow portage to run during the idle loop process.. meaning portage will not interfer with any server processes at all.

By the way, I run tons of services on my home server and I've never had a problem with it. Just use a sane make.conf and you wont have any problems at all.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo as a web server makes alot of sense, especially when running stuff like rrdtool+cacti that isnt officially supported by redhat or centos.

All of mine basically do the same jobs so I use one chrooted install to make binaries for all of the rest; that way I know it works before I update the production machines, also saves alot of redundancy.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any enterprise environment, any critical service should be redundant to the point that a total failure of any single piece of hardware will not interrupt service. You should be able to walk up to any server and yank the plug, and nobody notices. The notions of redundancy and failover were made to make your life easier as an administrator, and make the enterprise more able to deal with an unfortunate day in the server room. In real life, that gets harder and harder to do but it's still possible. Some services are very hard to share between two pieces of hardware.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_unique_id.html has clustering info as a starting point. In web servers, sometimes even if you don't have a cluster you can make a sort of a "redneck redundancy". If your pages are mostly static, then put them on CVS and make all your http servers refresh from CVS every so often. That not only allows you to keep all of them synchronized, it makes it so you can test your site on a nonproduction machine without any risk of damage to your public page. If you're using dynamic content, it's still possible that CVS would work for you, or any application server you might use could offer a server farm context.

All of enterprise business, when political BS is thrown aside, wants uptime and bandwidth. They want ASSURANCE of that, they want confidence that the system will work. If your services are correctly maintained and are sufficiently redundant, then your uptime and your bandwidth are going to be fine.

Gentoo pulls sources from the standard places probably more often than most distributions, but IMHO the individual groups will concentrate more on more recent revisions than they do on past ones. The fix will get to the most recent stable branch sooner than 2 revs back, because they'll get it working there and then either they (apache, for example) will backport to a stable branch, or the distro managers will backport to some more archaic one that (apache) doesn't maintain anymore. So the most recent stable branch seems to be the place most of us would want to pull from.

If you have redundant servers, and you only upgrade one at a time, then your services will not fail in the overall sense. You as an administrator are responsible for making sure every service works, no matter what distro or what operating system. If you feel comfortable that you can either figure out the changes in the server or pull back the original working one, then Gentoo will work for you. If there is no such operating system for which this is true, then either you need a new IT guy or you need to reengineer your environment.
Bad Penguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Possible: Gentoo as a web server ? Reply with quote

YeniBir wrote:
Hi all,

I want to set-up a linux based server, everybody' told me to use debian or centos, but in fact i do not like them much. I really like gentoo but nobody's recommended gentoo as a web server. What do you guys thinking? Is gentoo a bleeding edge for server use? Anyone use it for web server? (sorry if I am asking the dumbest question)

thanks a lot

No, it is not "bleeding edge". Two or three years ago I might have said that, but not now. But it does make an excellent web server if you are willing to invest some extra time and effort into making it work. One of the more useful aspects as far as web serving is the vhosts/webapp-config implementation. It is also easier to get things working how you need them to since you are building from source...
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW all of Gentoo's webservers (forums, bugs, www, etc.) run Gentoo in production environments without (m)any problems. The main thing to take into account, as other people have said, is to ensure that you plan your upgrades and that you know what's going to change. There's no point in blindly doing an emerge world on a production box ever and having a spare box to test things out on is always a plus.
Bohemian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no problems running Gentoo as a server.

Some high-end servers run it, in fact. Don't ask me to quote which, though.
xglad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Debian and friends make for a better, easier to manage, or more stable server than Gentoo does provided you do a few simple things. As noted above, pay attention to the mailing lists and announcements of the distro and apps that you use and look into redundant solutions.

Maybe most importantly, at least in a business situation, test the hell out of it in a test bed on the exact same hardware you will use in production before you actually put anything into production use. This goes for fresh installs and upgrades of the OS, apps, and custom apps/configurations. If you don't do this, regardless of OS or distribution, you will pay the price (down time) eventually. Personally, I don't care if Gentoo, Debian, Microsoft, or Sun says "this is stable". Until it proves to be stable on my hardware with the apps I need to use configured the way I configure them, I don't consider it stable, let alone ready for production.
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I manage Gentoo in a production enviorment.
Apache churns out our intranet portal.
Samba manages out ~200 user domain.

A while back Apache herd at gentoo changed the config file structure and that caused grief for alot of people
I however know of the migration guide so there was no real issue.

Our uptime is average, nothing to amazing but then again I've never encountered a service crashing.
Code:
uprecords
     #               Uptime | System                                    Boot up
----------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
     1   160 days, 03:01:28 | Linux 2.6.10             Wed Mar  9 14:24:39 2005
     2   113 days, 23:02:42 | Linux 2.6.12.5           Tue Aug 16 17:13:28 2005
->   3    98 days, 02:02:59 | Linux 2.6.12.5           Thu Dec  8 16:07:25 2005
     4     6 days, 02:02:52 | Linux 2.6.10             Thu Mar  3 12:22:05 2005
----------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Basically the box went into use about any year ago, there has only been 4 reboots. The 6 day one was to install a new disk. it then went for 160 days before we needed a new kernel. It then ran for 113 days and i noticed very high cpu usage, it wasn't from a process and I really didn't know what was going on. A reboot fixed it tho and its been going for 98 days since. This isn't really about gentoo its more about linux.

From a management perspective it's interesting, you can;t "deploy" patches to your gentoo servers etc.. yet. But you can mount your portage on a network server and go that route
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: