Is Gentoo as easy as Mandrake
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollwood63
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Is Gentoo as easy as Mandrake Reply with quote

I just noticed some talk about Gentoo and would like tro try it out. Is it as easy to setup and use as mandrake 9. Right now I have Mnadrake on a 10 gb partition can I just install Gentoo over the top on that patition? Does it install simaliar to Mandrake which is pretty straight forward.
Thanks, Art
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strightforward if you know what to do...

You find the x86 installation guide here.
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a thread somewhere about installing Gentoo from withing Mandrake - there are also lots of threads comparing other distro's to Gentoo. I have never installed Mandrake, but from what I have heard it is a very straightforward process and mostly automated. Gentoo is probably more difficult in the respect that it requires quite a bit of input and configuration from you during the install, only leaves you with a barebones system. It is up to you to configure it how you like. The portage system makes that very pain free.

There have been a few problems noted with the install docs lately, so if you want to give it a go, do a bit of reading on the forums about common problems people are experiencing, read through all of the Docs, and utilize the Search feature of the forums to gather info on things you are unclear of.

It might take you a few goes to get a system up and running correctly, but it is worth the effort in my opinion (though other would disagree :wink:).
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not too bad. Mandrake was my old distro (8.1, 8.2 and 9.0). I managed to get gentoo installed without too much of a problem, and I even managed to get cfdisk to work for me. Just read the install docs VERY well and read the forums. If you have a problem, just post. ;-)
hollwood63
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input I think i will stick with Mandrake for now the post down a few from here makes it sound like there are some major installation issues that I don't beleive I am sharp enough to get through.
Thanks agian
gilesjuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo as easy as Mandrake Reply with quote

hollwood63 wrote:
I just noticed some talk about Gentoo and would like tro try it out. Is it as easy to setup and use as mandrake 9. Right now I have Mnadrake on a 10 gb partition can I just install Gentoo over the top on that patition? Does it install simaliar to Mandrake which is pretty straight forward.
Thanks, Art

It's not as easy to setup, there's a few gotchas too (especially if you use devfs), but once you have it setup it's great.

There's a small amount of maintainence required when upgrading packages, but this ensures your config files aren't clobbered.

If you can I would try and create a seperate /home partition, then install Gentoo onto another partition, this will allow you to keep your desktop and app settings. add a /home mount point in /etc/fstab.
jgmcbride
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A one work answer

No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

Mandrake is a close your eyes and blink install. Gentoo is a "hope and pray" install.
Dragon561
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely good description! Lol
RobertTheBruce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former Mandrage/RedHat user I have to say the install for Gentoo is really different from the GUI type install that you get with a RPM based system. Some advice that I can pass on is that before you start the install print out the x86 install doc from the webpage because it is the mort correct one that I have seen. I looked at the install doc on the LiveCD but some of the steps were really messed up and wouldn't work.

After you get Gentoo installed I find it better than Mandrake/RedHat because things are not hidden from you. Portage is the best software system that I have seen other than the Ports system on BSD. One thing you will not have to worry about is dependancies like you would on a RPM system because Portage automatically solves them for you.

Support for Gentoo is great, this forum, the IRC channel & the webpage are excallent sources of support before, during and after the install.
Sargonas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgmcbride wrote:
A one work answer

Mandrake is a close your eyes and blink install. Gentoo is a "hope and pray" install.

I would agree mandrake is a close your eys and blink install but it also installs a bunch of junk not needed by your system and it isnt compiled specifically for your system.

Im pretty new to linux ( about a year or so ) and have tired redhat, mandrake, yoper and slackware, and gentoo is no hands down the BEST dristro I have used and seen. The documentation for installing is pretty good ( I had no trouble and Im a noob! ) and if you do have a problem chances are someone else has already posted in the forums so take a gander around it is not that bad!
alienhazard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have probly tried 20+ distros of linux, and this is what i have found to be true:

the ones like gentoo and slackware require more work on your part, but in the end are usually faster, stabler, and more tuned to ur purposes.

the ones like redhat and mandrake are easy to install but are slower and/or make it harder to configure stuff fix stuff that it cant fix itself. and often (but not always) they arent quite as stable.

so you have to take your pic. if you are patient and dont mind reading a lot of directions, gentoo is for you. if you are impatient and dont feel like learning much, and dont mind a slightly slower system, etc. then mandrake and such are for you.
matosale
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesshomaru wrote:
jgmcbride wrote:
A one work answer

I would agree mandrake is a close your eys and blink install but it also installs a bunch of junk not needed by your system and it isnt compiled specifically for your system.

Im pretty new to linux ( about a year or so ) and have tired redhat, mandrake, yoper and slackware, and gentoo is no hands down the BEST dristro I have used and seen. The documentation for installing is pretty good ( I had no trouble and Im a noob! ) and if you do have a problem chances are someone else has already posted in the forums so take a gander around it is not that bad!

Yes, the doc is just perfect, and if there is an error is because you are doing something wrong (it happens to me sometimes ;)). 100% agree with you
Linux Registered User: #287900
Linux Registered Machine: #169303
http://counter.li.org
--
The Shadow Surfer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I my self comes from Mandrake, I havn't tried out the new ones (9.x)...

Gentoo is NOT as easy to install, BUT when installed, you just love it... Doing the installation of Gentoo, you get to know portage, it's (ones you get to know it) just as easy to use as rpmdrake :!:

You have to read alot more docs on linux to get Gentoo to work, then what you need to get Mandrake to work.... But this way you feel like THIS IS YOUR OS... NOT SOME CROP'S... I know that this ofcause, is some thing that can be don on a Mandrake too, but some have it not the same :!:

trie it out, and you won't go back to mandrake :!:
-JeaN-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course mandrake is easier to install, it's just click and reboot. Gentoo in the other hand offers much more, you can optimize everything for your own cpu, you can install ONLY the software you want, and you can chose the dependancies you want with the USE variable.

Also, using linux without being able to understand the gentoo installation is in my opinion a contradiction. When you install mandrake ok, it's easy, but then you will always be dependant on how mandrake behaves, and not on how linux behaves. With gentoo you have a little longer learning curve, but in the end you have power over your linux, and you enjoy much more having a customized/optimized linux just for you than having the usual mandrake everypeople has ;)

My opinion :)
gilesjuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shadow Surfer wrote:
I my self comes from Mandrake, I havn't tried out the new ones (9.x)...

Gentoo is NOT as easy to install, BUT when installed, you just love it... Doing the installation of Gentoo, you get to know portage, it's (ones you get to know it) just as easy to use as rpmdrake :!:

Once it's installed and working it's simple to use. Most inexperienced Windows users will ask someone else to put software on for them, so a computer beginner using Gentoo (unlikely) isn't going to even touch portage.

I installed YOPER on another PC a few days ago as the machine is slow and I didn't have time to compile KDE. "Your operating system" ? more like someone's installation copied to a CD. No real options on what you wanted to install etc... but still, it's quite a fast distro. Trouble is there's absolutely no support, the website's mailing lists don't seem to be browseable, there's no user docs, forums etc.. a very poor website.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: