View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: now gnome desktop is broken? Reply with quote

So I've done the ldconfig fix after emerging gcc, and most everything seems to be working fine. One thing that seems to have been screwed up in the process is my gnome desktop. The background image was gone (just a solid color screen), all desktop icons are gone, and right-clicking on the desktopn does nothing (no menu). I've been able to restore the background image, but not the icons or right-click menu. Does anyone have any ideas of what might have happened. The only things I've done between working gnome and "funky" gnome is emerge gcc, reboot, and ldconfig (in that order).

Thanks,

DaveB
StupID
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: distcc Reply with quote

GenKiller wrote:
jeffbuttars wrote:
I removed distcc from the FEATURES list in make.conf and voila! I am a compilin. Does any know why distcc in combination with upgrading gcc would cause such a problem? I will explore this more myselft and post any answers.

Make sure that all hosts have the same gcc version (run `gcc --version` to find out)

If you haven't upgraded all hosts to 3.3.2, you will have a lot of errors!

Thanks GenKiller for mentioning that. I too had to run 'ldconfig' and it worked up untill compiling gawk when I got compile errors. Then I commented out the use of distcc and now everything is fine. Now I am catching up all my distcc machines to 3.3.2.
afabbro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xlyz wrote:
gurke wrote:
try
Code:
ldconfig
this solved it for me. there also is another post for this problem here in the forum.

you saved my day :D

THANK YOU!!!

What he said! When I saw a "can't open shared libraries," my heart skipped a beat...I envisioned a loooong rebuild ;)
Donovan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Google, I stopped looking for Linux answers there long ago.

Major heartattack (omg, python is the backbone of emerge!) averted in less than 2 minutes using Gentoo Forums. I really wish, like the Google Search box, that there was a Gentoo Search box in my Opera toolbar. :P

Long live Gentoo and all of us behind it!
Andersson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donovan wrote:
I really wish, like the Google Search box, that there was a Gentoo Search box in my Opera toolbar. :P

What makes you think there isn't? Did you search the forums? ;)
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=773858
(Ok, it's not a separate search box, but I prefer to search from the address field anyway.)
orzetto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the posters for helping me too out of this mess... Has anyone who has a clue about what has been happening already committed a bug report?
This thing should be fixed ASAP, before there are too many machines around with this problem, since it cannot be fixed with emerge.
Cheers,
-Federico
zeky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explains to me, why is this happening?
m9dhatter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not at the broken box right now. its at the office. i managed to restart my system as i was trying to fix it and now it wont boot. ( the error somewhat resembles the error when root and real_root aren't properly configured. i'm sure i fixed that a long time ago ) is there any way to fix it using the live CD?
thanks.
ygju
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: now gnome desktop is broken? Reply with quote

daveb wrote:
So I've done the ldconfig fix after emerging gcc, and most everything seems to be working fine. One thing that seems to have been screwed up in the process is my gnome desktop. The background image was gone (just a solid color screen), all desktop icons are gone, and right-clicking on the desktopn does nothing (no menu). I've been able to restore the background image, but not the icons or right-click menu. Does anyone have any ideas of what might have happened. The only things I've done between working gnome and "funky" gnome is emerge gcc, reboot, and ldconfig (in that order).

I have exactly the same problem after upgrading gcc. The gnome desktop is gone. No icons and right click doesn't work at all.
Zidge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it s solved this problem for me too, great !!
I was also think I may have to reinstall a part of the system :o

But I get:

Quote:

ldconfig: Can't stat /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/jre/lib/i386/classic: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Can't stat /usr/games/lib: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Can't stat /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2:
libgcc_s.so.1 -> libgcc_s.so.1
ldconfig: /usr/lib/libstrstd.so.59 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

the last line seems wierd to me ...
well anyway, thanks for the help
revenant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: now gnome desktop is broken? Reply with quote

daveb wrote:

Thanks,

DaveB

I'm also having this problem. I emerged gcc and ran ldconfig. Everything seems to work fine, but the GNOME desktop is toast.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks.
daveb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: broken gnome Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
daveb wrote:

Thanks,

DaveB

I'm also having this problem. I emerged gcc and ran ldconfig. Everything seems to work fine, but the GNOME desktop is toast.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

I think I've narrowed down the problem a little. When I log into gnome as root, the desktop behaves exactly as it should. When I'm logged in as a regular user, the desktop behaves as described above. When I ran the emerge, etc., I was logged into gnome as my regular user and then emerge'ed as su. So it seems that the problem must lie somewhere in my user's gnome settings or conf files right? Trouble is that I have no idea what to look for. Can anyone give me any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

DaveB
revenant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: GNOME desktop issue RESOLVED! Reply with quote

I've finally figured out what the deal was with the GNOME desktop not showing up. :D I realized that Nautilus wasn't starting up, for some reason. So, here's what I did (as my normal user - not root):

1. "startx" to start X and GNOME. I get a blank desktop background (no icons, no wallpaper - nothing).
2. Open a terminal and, as your user, type "nautilus &" to start Nautilus in the background and return your terminal to you.

Now the desktop should show up and your file manager should open up. Go ahead and close all those things and quit X. Restart X and everything should be peachy!

Hope this helps.
daveb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: GNOME desktop issue RESOLVED! Reply with quote

Quote:
I've finally figured out what the deal was with the GNOME desktop not showing up. I realized that Nautilus wasn't starting up, for some reason. So, here's what I did (as my normal user - not root):

1. "startx" to start X and GNOME. I get a blank desktop background (no icons, no wallpaper - nothing).
2. Open a terminal and, as your user, type "nautilus &" to start Nautilus in the background and return your terminal to you.

Now the desktop should show up and your file manager should open up. Go ahead and close all those things and quit X. Restart X and everything should be peachy!

Hope this helps.

That was it exactly! Thanks! :D
darkweaseljedi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one here has mentioned what the LDPATH should look like.

Also, I get this :

Quote:

root # ldconfig -v | grep gcc
ldconfig: Can't stat /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1/jre/lib/i386/classic: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Can't stat /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2:
libgcc_s.so.1 -> libgcc_s.so.1

even after I run ldconfig.
rubbermangoat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a very similar thing,
Code:
# ldconfig -v | grep gcc
ldconfig: Can't stat /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.2: No such file or directory

and just doing,
Code:

ldconfig

doesn't fix my library woes
flybynite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: the FIX Reply with quote

There is a tool that will fix your problems. fix_libtool_files.sh

Code:

notebook2 root # fix_libtool_files.sh
Usage: fix_libtool_files.sh <old-gcc-version> [--oldarch <old-CHOST>]

Where <old-gcc-version> is the version number of the
    previous gcc version.  For example, if you updated to
    gcc-3.2.1, and you had gcc-3.2 installed, run:

# fix_libtool_files.sh 3.2

If you updated to gcc-3.2.3, and the old CHOST was i586-pc-linux-gnu
    but you now have CHOST as i686-pc-linux-gnu, run:

# fix_libtool_files.sh 3.2 --oldarch i586-pc-linux-gnu

Note that if only the CHOST and not the version changed, you can run
    it with the current version and the '--oldarch <old-CHOST>' arguments,
    and it will do the expected:

# fix_libtool_files.sh `gcc -dumpversion` --oldarch i586-pc-linux-gnu

Looks like you need to run it twice for two old gcc versions, It doesn't look like you changed the CHOST so that part doesn't apply to you.

fix_libtool_files.sh 3.2.2
fix_libtool_files.sh 3.2.3

assuming your running the latest gcc version 3.3.2. gcc -v will tell you which version you have now.

This problem is caused by hard-coded paths in some files. The script will go though them and change the paths. I got into this same problem when I built on one machine and emerged the binary on another machine. I heard distcc might cause this also, not sure though.
sebjames
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: the FIX Reply with quote

flybynite wrote:

Looks like you need to run it twice for two old gcc versions, It doesn't look like you changed the CHOST so that part doesn't apply to you.

fix_libtool_files.sh 3.2.2
fix_libtool_files.sh 3.2.3

assuming your running the latest gcc version 3.3.2. gcc -v will tell you which version you have now.

This problem is caused by hard-coded paths in some files. The script will go though them and change the paths. I got into this same problem when I built on one machine and emerged the binary on another machine. I heard distcc might cause this also, not sure though.

Thanks for posting this tip. I was having problems emerging enchant after upgrading to gcc 3.3.2, despite fixing /etc/env.d/05gcc then running env-update and ldconfig, as suggested in an earlier posting on this topic. During the enchant emerge, grep, sed and libtool were still looking for files from the old gcc 3.2.3 installation. This was fixed by running fix_libtool_files.sh.
sirsky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: This might help Reply with quote

I know this thread has been sorta quiet for a bit, but I just got around to doing this tonight, and encountered this same problem.

First, thanks for the help guys, I couldn't have done it without you! Gentoo Forums are indespensible!

Now, on to the meat: while poking around (editing /etc/env.d/05gcc, per an earlier post), I noticed a directory called /etc/env.d/gcc. In there there are two files:

total 8.0K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 32 Dec 5 19:16 config
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 294 Feb 22 00:09 i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.2

The config file contains one line:

CURRENT=i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.2.3

which I changed to:

CURRENT=i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.2

Also, the i686 file is exactly the file that should be in ../05gcc:

PATH="/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.3"
ROOTPATH="/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.3"
LDPATH="/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2"
MANPATH="/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/man"
INFOPATH="/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3/info"
STDCXX_INCDIR="g++-v3"
CC="gcc"
CXX="g++"

I mv'd /etc/env.d/05gcc to ~/05gcc.old and cp'd /etc/env.d/gcc/i686... to /etc/env.d/05gcc.

Everything works perfectly now, it seems the ebuild is either putting the i686 file in the wrong place, or is skipping a step that should do it. Also, the ebuild isn't touching the env.d/gcc/config file (note the date above), so either that file isn't used anymore (in which case it should be removed) or isn't being updated at all by the ebuild.

Of course, after you fix these two files, run env-update, and ldconfig...

--sirsky
daoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another "me too"...on the didn't work side of things.

I had a gentoo box sitting unused in a closet since dec 2003. Dusted it off, ran an emerge sync, and started on an emerge -u portage. After it emerged gcc 3.3.3 I started getting the infamous error.

I've tried ldconfig, no love.
I've tried commenting the gcc line in /etc/ld.so.conf and running ldconfig, no love.
I've tried the steps in the previous post. I cannot run env-update due to the libstdc++.so.5 error.

I'm quite thoroughly stuck.

edit: did more searching.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=171875
the solution by langthang worked for me.
Robert K.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: the FIX Reply with quote

flybynite wrote:

Many many thanks. Your tip worked for me. I downloaded and installed from Gentoo 2004.1 Installation-CD's with GRP-Packages kde, mozilla, and so on.

After emerge sync / emerge -u --deep world. gcc got updated, but not the hardcoded library links in kde, ...

So I wasn't able to compile any kde-related program even after emerge -eb system, whats logical.

I searched hours for resolving this problem, before I read your posting. And it worked.

Just one Note: There were two different gcc/oldarch hardencoded in the Librarys. So I needed to run the tool, twice.

Regards
Robert
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: