View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is interesting, because a patch was made to binutils 30 hrs ago, and since I started installing last night, I would be in the window where I would have gotten the (newly broken) binutils, if that is the problem. A friend was able to get past this stage (although his install broke at emerge system and he gave up), and he was doing it friday night, with the same livecd that I have been using.

Since others have reported success, I d/l'd the older stage 1 tarball instead of using the one on the cd, and I am presently in the middle of the emerge sync stage...so soon I should see if it works for me or not. I'm going to use the CFLAGS, CHOSTS, and USE that I have been using, so that if it works I will know it was NOT because I changed my build flags.

More posting to come ...
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The package installed immediately prior to zlib is binutils and it seems to be breaking gcc.

I opted for the first approach I mentioned in my prior post for my last install. This ensured gcc was in a fit state before binutils and friends were built. Right now, my bintils features /usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu only. The situation with my gcc is similar:
Code:
kerin@kerfy kerin $ qpkg -nc -l gcc | egrep -o "^.+[46]86[^/]+" | uniq
/usr/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-c++
/usr/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++
/usr/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
/etc/env.d/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.2.3
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3/include/g++-v3/i686-pc-linux-gnu
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu
/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu
/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.2/i686-pc-linux-gnu-c++ -> g++
/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.2/i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -> g++
/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.2/i686-pc-linux-gnu-g77 -> g77
/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/3.2/i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -> gcc
/usr/share/doc/gcc-3.2.3-r2/i686-pc-linux-gnu
/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu

I have nothing present for the i486 host whatsoever in either of those, which is as it should be. My point is, having the compiler in a suitable state for the target is important. I believe that using a stage1 tarball for a stage1 install is only suitable for those who are actually building for a 486 CHOST (and even then, I wouldn't do it that way). I reckon that there isn't anything wrong with binutils itself and that the trouble in your case is that binutils was built against a "bad" (inappropriately targeted) gcc, as provided by the stage1 tarball. Binutils is built before gcc is compiled again in the bootstrap process :!:
MarkP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: bootstrap and CHOST errors Reply with quote

I have just got my bootstrap.sh from stage1 to go past binutils.
Using the stage1 tar file from the web not the LIVECD. (stage1-x86-1.4-20030806.tar.bz2)
CHOST is set to i686-pc-linux-gnu
If I look in /usr I have all the i686-pc-linux-gnu directories and lib/files.

Everything is looking good. Not sure what broke the CHOST setting in the last few days though....
nl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I saw kerfranil's post. I had already initiated a NEW install using a stage 1 tarball d/l'd from a mirror rather than the one on my liveCD. As luck would have it, it was about to d/l the zlib ebuild, and hung at that point (I've been having some network problems tonight, darned Comcast cable - wouldn't you know TONIGHT would be the first time in months that I've had any network trouble!).

Anyway, kerfranil's post made a great deal of sense to me, so I decided to start over AGAIN and use the stage2 tarball. After installing that, I fire up an emerge -u system and at the moment I am (hopefully) compiling perl 5.8.0. As far as I can tell, doing so does give me a fully i686-based toolchain, as kerfranil pointed out, so ...

One gotcha in the emerge system: I added java to my use flags, because eventually when I do build mozilla I'm hoping java support will be there (I never did get it to work under debian). Anyway, at one point the emerge needed the java sdk files, which it could not d/l (some sort of a block on the fetch, I missed the full message). It told me to d/l it from java.sun.com and put it in /usr/portage/distfiles. Unfortunately, how to do that without a web browser yet???

I found the file with some difficulty on sun's website using my backup win98 laptop (swiped from my wife so I can be online while I'm trying to get my linux workstation back into service with gentoo), and was able to wget it (although I had to time in an ungodly long obfuscated redirect url to do this), and then did emerge -u system again, and I seem to have picked up where I left off (and java is apparently installed, too).

I would be nice if, when dumping out like that, portage had told me what to do to restart, since for a newbie (and while I've been using only linux on my home and office servers and on my home workstation for >2 hrs now, I am a full-fledged gentoo newbie) these things aren't always apparent.

nl
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use links as a text browser or wget if you know the url to download stuff while you are installing. I am browsing this thread with links now - it kind of sucks but works well enough.
I tried the second fix recommended by rac - compile gcc before bootstrapping with emerge -o gcc - so far so good. So it looks like the problem is not with zlib at all - it is with gcc being built by bootstrap.sh with CFLAGS that are incompatible to what you have in make.conf (I think).
jamieo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the method of downloading the stage1 tarball from a mirror rather than off the (basic) CD. This worked fine for me, no problems at all. Looks like you should just avoid the stage1 tarball off the CD to work around this.
axses
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the pentium 3/4 cds and starting from stage1 works as well. Thx for the info , I am currently also reinstalling ma laptop from stage1 got from the internet.

Had the install die 3 times on me before I started searching the forums ( thank god for them) for a bug.

:-)
malfunction
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the tarball dated 20030910 is broken.
No point in trying any more to figure out what's wrong with it (although the GNU compilers are designed so that multiple versions can co-exist).
I just checked a few mirrors and it's been taken off.
I'm now using the earlier one, dated 20030806 and it's working fine.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, kerfranil's post made a great deal of sense to me, so I decided to start over AGAIN and use the stage2 tarball. After installing that, I fire up an emerge -u system

I was advocating the use of a stage2 tarball followed by the conventional bootstrap process. In other words the only difference is the tarball that is used; in all other respects the stage1 installation process remains the same. I'm not absolutely sure that that is what you did, but I just wanted to clarify my statement ;-)

For best results, I would also recommend trying the emerge -O gcc trick, but only if the stage2 tarball happens to feature a version of gcc which is lower than that which is currently available in Portage.

This is the method I use presently, and I am absolutely certain it yields better results than using any stage1 tarball for the process, despite what the installation instructions might indicate.

By the way, on the subject of Java - I would recommend installing the blackdown-jdk as there are no applicable license restrictions. I do not believe that the java use flag needs to be enabled at any point in order to have a functional Mozilla-compatible plugin. At a later time, you can install Sun's JRE/JDK if you wish and switch to it using java-config. Please also ensure that you do not have the doc use flag enabled when installing the jdk as this may require documentation from Sun which has to be manually downloaded!
pyrodex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emerge -O gcc thing before running bootstrap helped me. I've never come across this until this week. I had a previous gentoo install and it worked like a champ so this is a recent issue. For info I used the 0806 Stage1 to start with.
Barkotron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malfunction wrote:
Yeah, the tarball dated 20030910 is broken.

True dat. I just tried again with vmware - I must have been using a different CD before and just been fooling myself. :roll:
nl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerframil:

Actually, what I did was to do a stage 2 install, using the stage 2 tarball. Having done that, it did not make sense to me to run scripts/bootstrap.sh since I already should have had the stuff that the bootstrap would do, so instead I proceeded to emerge -u system.

I note that after the stage2 tar was unpacked, /etc/make.conf had reasonable CFLAGS and CHOST, including -march=pentium4.

Per the installation guide, the -u flag on emerge caused gcc to be recompiled as was binutils, etc, and so I believe I am at the correct point with essentially everything on my system, including the compiler toolchain, having been compiled on my system with "my" CFLAGS (the ones in the stage 2 tarball were close enough to what I was using, differing only in that -funroll_loops was included and -fomit-frame-pointer was not, but I noted that somewhere alone the line many of the compiles included the frame-pointer flag anyway, and I am not sophisticated in my knowledge of gcc to be worred about this difference anyway).

I DID include both java and doc (perhaps stupidly, oh well) in my USE flags. I did, as posted earlier in this thread, get tripped up by needed to manually d/l a file from sun. That was a pain, but with the help of a spare computer to find the (very convoluted redirect) link and wget, all worked out fine, and after d/l'ing, repeating emerge -u system caused the process to pick up at that point, and all seems to have ended well. Emerge was nice enough to tell me what to do with the file after d/l so that worked out just fine. Watching the complilation go by, it the phrase "blackdown" was included many many times so I suspect that is the java that I wound up with.

It does seem that the current stage1 tarball is borked, but your description of getting gcc recompiled with teh i868-pc-linux gcc, which happened just fine with the stage 2 tarball, has left me, as far as I can tell on this, my first gentoo install, where I had hoped to be.

Now I need to figure out what to do with all those config files that need updating; I'm gonna start a new thread on that!

Thanks to all that posted and help me and others get past this point. My friend gave up Friday and went to Redhat, but after years of using Debian (stable and testing are way outdated, and unstable completely broke KDE), Mandrake, Caldera way back when, and Redhat, I'm (so far) really likely gentoo - espcially since I tend to like to be parsimonious in my installs, and I hated the way other distros loaded tons of programs on my system that I had no need for or intention of using. Gentoo is as close to the do-it-yourself linux as I can get without devoting more time than I have to writing all my own startup scripts and config scripts. Nice job, gentoo maintainers!!

nl
jwbrown77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my success story to this problem. I was having the same problem as well (strange, I just built a machine two days earlier with the same CD and it worked. Something updated in the portage tree must have broke it).

I downloaded the stage1 tarball off the gentoo webserver and it works fine. So anyone here that's having a problem, download the tarball manually. You'll be good to go until they figure the problem out.
swyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also had a similar problem of stage one failing during zlib (and if I ran bootstrap.sh again right after, it would then fail during portage). However, since I'm installing linux on a secondary desktop I installed over and over (as I have had gentoo working fine previously on the same computer in the past). I've tried both the stage1 from the 1.4 cd1 and also via a web download with no luck. I have repeated the process about 10 times, and the last time it worked.... with no changes from the previous attempt. For the hell of it, I remade the filesystems and gave it another go. Same settings followed by the same failure. At this point I said the hell with it and went ahead and installed with stage3. I built my kernel and such and after setting up the system I ran the bootstrap.sh again (after changing the make.conf file settings to the one I had before). No problems at all during the bootstrap followed by emerge -e -u world. I can't really come up with a reason why this would occur. If I didn't know the system at all I would blame it on memory or CPU errors. However, the RAM and CPU has been tested for 72 hours straight recently (writing/reading/copying) with no errors at all. About the only thing I can deduce is perhaps the install cd's kernel my be a bit quirky with different kinds of hardware. Here are my specs if it helps, and I suggest using a stage3 install followed by a recompile for those that are having similar issues.

AMD Athlon thunderbird, 1.4GHz
768 MB 266MHz, CAS 2.5 RAM
MSI K7T266 Pro2 MB (Via KT266A chipset)
melk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having the same problem as well starting just a few days ago(but not before then) - I nabbed the lastest stage1 build from gentoo.oregonstate.edu and the problem disappeared.
dot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

i´m having the same problem here. And it´s bothering me, cause i´m installing over ISDN (64Kbit/s).
Code:
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
cc1: Broken pipe: error writing to -

Now i will try with the workarround posted by some people, to use a stage tarball from a mirror, not the one on the live cd and i´ll see if it works.

Flo
marthisdil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact same thing happens to me - even with the downloaded stage 1 tarball from multiple mirrors....frustrating as hell
nl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those still struggling with this problem, there appear to be two workarounds that many posters have found work:

1. When you get to the point of installing a stage 1 tarball, d/l an older version (one from August 2003 seems to work well) using links and install that tarball rather than the one on the cd,

or

2. Install the stage 2 tarball instead, then when you emerge -u system, your toolchain (gcc, binutils, etc) all get recompiled and you are good to go. I used this latter approach and all worked fine. The only drawback I see to this is that the instructions say NOT to change CHOSTS or CFLAGS when you do the stage2 tarball so, as far as I know, have to use the ones that are in the stage2 tarball, which may not turn out to be exaclty what you want. By d/l'ing the Pentium 4 live cd, I had CHOSTS and CFLAGS that were so close to what I wanted anyway that I can certainly live with them, esp. as the difference (a minor one in CFLAGS) is something that I don't understand anyway! The only caveat here is to ensure you d/l a live cd that is for your target architecture (in my case P4) rather than the generic x86 one.

nl
Orion-X
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. When you get to the point of installing a stage 1 tarball, d/l an older version (one from August 2003 seems to work well) using links and install that tarball rather than the one on the cd,

Unfortunately, it seems that the mirrors are starting to be populated with the "bad" tarball, dated 20030910, so the previous tarball, dated 20030806 may start becoming hard to find. I found a copy on the noved.org mirror, but it will probably disappear the next time it rsync's.. :(

-Orion-X
marthisdil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion-X (or anyone with the 20030806 tarball) - can someone put it up for ftp access?

All the mirrors don't have it =( Have been purged.

Thanks
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully bootstrap.sh 1.51 fixes this issue, which may actually be symptomatic of a larger problem with Portage that may not be so easy to fix immediately. There is a point in time after a package has been merged, but before the old version has been cleaned. Running ldconfig in that state can leave you with broken symlinks, so Portage doesn't do it. However, failure to run ldconfig if in fact the libraries have moved may affect other packages in the same emerge group.

Therefore, we have split the bootstrap into two calls to emerge, which will hopefully allow ld.so to find libiberty.a in its new home, and therefore avoid creating broken binutils.
marthisdil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea when we can download a new tarball with this 'fix' Rac?

Thanks
georgeb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
Hopefully bootstrap.sh 1.51 fixes this issue

I ran into this problem this morning (East Europe time). I check my bootstrap.sh and it's 1.51, but the build fails in very much the same way as described by posters in this thread. I've decided to manually emerge each of the packages. Lots of tweaking is necessary until glibc is installed. After that everything seems to work ok.
WaruiInu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just downloaded an experiemental ISO (i had that problem too, of course). Here a link from a random mirror: http://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/download/gentoo-mirror/experimental/x86/livecd/livecd-basic-x86-2003011400.iso
I hope it will work, if anybody will test it before me, just say here about that.
And about java, i suggest http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0
There is a link with plugins. The link for java go straight to sun.com exactly on license agreement, all you need is yo press accept button and choose the linux jre. Also be carefull when making the symlink in mozilla plugins, there are several plugins, depending the libgcc version the computer have
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the stage1-x86-20030910.tar.bz2 and got the same error.

However, compiling gcc before the bootstrap did the trick.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: