Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How can I make Eclipse IDE available to non-root users?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockman8
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: How can I make Eclipse IDE available to non-root users? Reply with quote

I just downloaded eclipse and decompressed the file in my home folder and then moved to /opt, changed owner to root:root

Code:
chown -R root:root /opt/eclipse/

The program will run just fine as root but other than that eclipse will run with missing edit menu bar and some errors on console regarding

Code:
gdk_wayland_window_set_dbus_properties_libgtk_only: assertion 'GDK_IS_WAYLAND_WINDOW (window)' failed

Thanks in advance.

---edit---

Also found out that the installer will give the same errors when running as a non-root user.

Last edited by Rockman8 on Tue May 21, 2024 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
BurningMemory
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: How can I make Eclipse IDE available to non-root users? Reply with quote

Rockman8 wrote:

Do you have to move the contents of the archive to /opt?
If not, you can create a directory in your home folder for the software,
put it there and just use it like that. If you need to use it on multiple user
accounts, then just change the directory perms to something like mode 755.
Also, make sure you never run such software as root. It's not only unnecessary,
but can be potentially dangerous.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not be running Eclipse as root.

I think what you are trying to achieve is a single Eclipse installation shared by multiple users. That is possible - you can find the details on the Eclipse web site - but it's no longer as simple as installing to /opt. The problem is that Eclipse is mostly a framework with plug-ins, and it supports different plug-ins by user. This means that in theory your shared setup is now customized by user, and ends up with different versions of plugins sprayed across /opt and various /home directories. Fine until you want to upgrade the /opt version when the user's plug-ins might no longer be at the required level. So the recommendation now is to install once per user instead, so everything is in /home.

The trouble with this thinking is that for many PC setups there's only a few userids and they're all the same person using id's to split up projects or responsibilities or security or something, in which case it seems logical to share code in /opt. But you still might hit issues with /opt if you only use some of the userids very occasionally - e.g. a finished project; when you revisit it years later its Eclipse is broken.
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just downloaded eclipse and decompressed the file in my home folder and then moved to /opt, changed owner to root:root

Have a look if in /opt are already other folders which belong to other applications. Google oder Microsoft are ones which use this folder too.
They are installed by portage and every user can use it. Compare their rights and modify the directory you have created manually

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend that every user has its own Eclipse in his home folder. This way every user can customise the configuration and plugins. And if someone breaks Eclipse or plugins, the other users are not affected.
Rockman8
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just removed the eclipse folder from /opt, since I messed with the group:owner, so I just decompressed again on /home folder.

Still got the same issues and the same warnings too:

Missing edit menu

Code:
(Eclipse:32088): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 14:40:45.840: gdk_wayland_window_set_dbus_properties_libgtk_only: assertion 'GDK_IS_WAYLAND_WINDOW (window)' failed

When run as root it runs fine no issues, but even though I changed the folder from /opt to /home still got the same issues.

Perhaps something that the root may access but the user is not allowed to?

Also the same error happens when running the installer as a non-root user.
Rockman8
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

Just removed Global Menu widget, no more errors on console and the menu bar is back.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: