Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha,

Since you indicate you wish to be in discussion, I will try to just that.

lefsha wrote:
pingtoo wrote:
Throughout the entire thread of this topic, I got a feeling you have a idea of Gentoo is like a complete program that every part should work together. May I present a different point of view? I believe Gentoo is no more than Portage (The package manager) and ::gentoo repos (A large set of build procedures). I think Gentoo Dev. voluntarily share their experience on how to build one package, the experience were translated into "ebuild" so someone else who is interesting the same program can benefit.

A "ebuild" must expressed in a way that all understand in order for it can be shared. so choose a common denominator that majority user can accept is good thing. Bash is good common denominator for all linux distro. however since bash is still evolving it would be best to choose a milestone so everyone can easily reference. you may think that is right but why don't we use POSIX as the "milestone", for the logical thinking I agree, but I am not at the time when decision were made so I accept what was given. on the other hand I agree from design point of view I will choose a tool with feature rich as oppose a tool with feature limited for long longevity of the design.

You continue state that using bash5.x is wrong, in my mind one must know what is right in order to know what is wrong. so can you share your right way of doing that we all can benefit from the "right" :wink: :wink:

All the above of my saying is trying to "Help" that there could be other point of view in hope you can consider.

Your points are valid and not valid at the same time.
Let me express what I am thinking about it.

First of all blaming me, that I am requesting to rewrite everything from scratch is wrong!
Saying, that I am asking people do more work, than they do is wrong.
Please point out in where in my post that I blaming you for requesting rewrite everything. If you feel that I implied, than allow me to state that I have no intention to ask you to ask for rewrite.

lefsha wrote:
I am fully aware, that people spend own time for that and I am not the one to push them work more and work harder!

Exactly the opposite is the case!
OK, understand your intention. However the result of the intention imply rework in order do what you believe is correct way.

lefsha wrote:
There is a very simple idea, that if you stick with "today's" version of any porgram, be it bash, or what ever you tend to create tons
of legacy code. The work, which has been done by people and cannot be used ANYMORE by anyone.
How is the code is "today's version with legacy code "cannot be used ANYMORE by anyone"? If it is today's code it surely can be run on today's system. Maybe you mean yesterday's code?

lefsha wrote:
I guess Python is the best example of that. Tons of code made for Python-2.0 will never work for Python-3.0
But it is getting worse, that that. Now Python-3.9 and 3.10 and 3.11 are not compatible to each other.

Making a long time project in pyhton-2.0 will push me to rewrite the code over and over again!
If that is not free private time for any developer, than no company will pay for it!
I am not sure what is the "it" you refereed, If it is the "python" I believe no one is paying for python.
"Python" is a programming language specification; "python-2.x", "python-3.x" is a implementation of the programming language. The incompatibility is due to poor implementation. And it is shown in the version changes, I will explain my point of view in later.

lefsha wrote:
I work in the Semiconductor Industry. Good or bad, but you can still see Windows XP running there in masses!
Some sort of software you cannot update. There is no update. There are no free monkeys who will spend time from
adapting it to the new version!

If a tool vendor will provide a new version _for_money_ obviously, then no customer will agree with an upgrade.
I believe very few of you if anyone at all have ever worked in the industry.
In fact today's Tool vendor does provide new version for their software for money. And many customer do agree to pay for upgrade. I am sure the same application used in Semiconductor Industry must have have same application that will work with today's Windows environment and the IT deportment I am sure will suggest or find a way to bring the application to modern day standard.

lefsha wrote:
People who make things for money do them better, because money becoming a parameter in the game.
Free time cost nothing. Every month one can rewrite Linux from scratch...
Agree, see my point above.

lefsha wrote:
It's enough to see how often a new portage version is coming... That frequency alone is a good sign, that something is wrong.
People who spend their time on changing portage or ebuilds do not know the price of the time.
I am pretty sure people who wrote the ebuild know their time value, They just willingly proved it free of charge.

lefsha wrote:
I was just asked by Hu - what is the benefit of what I am suggesting...

I do exactly the same question - what is the benefit of upgrading portage every months or so? Is it worth it?
Although I should not speak for Hu, But I feel Hu's question is that he understood current Gentoo state, but not able to understand your idea, therefor he asked.

lefsha wrote:
Many overlays do have ebuilds, which are not working anymore, because EAPI considered being OLD.
The package/program they provide are available and fully functional, but ebuilds cannot be used.
I agree, I too consider this indicate design deficiency. However, since I am not involve in daily work in maintenance of portage, there could be some use cases I am not aware therefor I will just accept the current implementation.

lefsha wrote:
The source code if still available is not like food it won't start smelling and even after 10 or 20 years be perfectly
functional.

The idea of the permanent upgrade is wrong per seI

A well made program can work even after 20 years w/o issues.
cannot 100% agree this idea. Because the world is evolving all the time. 20 years ago shell script may not work will for today's computer due to modern computer can execute multiple threads concurrently. So some old shell script will have unexpected raise condition. So to say that 20 years ago program will just work without modification is just not true.

lefsha wrote:
Imagine, what would happen if the Automotive industry will change the base (distance between wheels) of cars every time
different - better of course... wider of course, for more comfort...

We will end up with necessity of building new roads. That new cars can not use old roads and must stick to the new roads only.

God bless the automotive industry, that it is commercial one and not made by programmers in the free time...
And you still can buy tires for your oldtimer...
In fact Automotive industry did just that, They do change base and they even charge it for that And they call that upgrade :) Take Honda Civic as example. 20 years ago Civic is a much small car than today's Civic.

lefsha wrote:
Yes, I can share the proper view on the product development.
So please do share :lol:
lefsha wrote:
I have never said, that depending on bash or even bash-5.0 is a wrong one!

I said, that today dependence on bash-5.0 and tomorrow on bash-6.0 and in 10 years on bash-25 is wrong one!
If fact you did said that see There is no problem if portage depends on bash as long one understand it like POSIX shell scripting functionality of bash. Being depending on bash-5.0 is a misconception! It is a wrong thing. There is nothing what portage cannot live w/o from bash-5.0

lefsha wrote:
It wasn't me. It has been developed by commercial industry many years ago.
That something calls the STANDARD. You can have any bolt you like as long it is M4 M6 M8 and what ever else.

You cannot have a bolt M4.34 and go to the public market with it. It is possible to make physically, but it will be ignored by the market!
As a commercial company you will go bankrupt.

But obviously not as a "free time code writer". Those species will survive forever and make problems for themselves and others.

The proper way of doing almost everything is to agree upon standards!
Hold to the standards and you will be happy.
Not much comment, as we all know the great thing abort STANDARD is there are many to choose from.

lefsha wrote:
It wasn't me again. Linus said - we don't break the user space!

ebuilds are user space for portage. Portage regularly breaks the ebuilds! That is the fact.
That is true. However nobody is perfect, mistake happen. the mistake can be either bad coding or bad design choice.

Bad coding (as some use cases was not considered)

Bad design choice (as in create incompatibility between changes, like python implementation example above)

Any of the "bad thing" should be reported and present with reason. But simply call the "bad thing" is wrong without any prove is just wrong.
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a example how I successfully build "bash" without "readline".
Code:
mkdir -p /etc/portage/profile
echo 'app-shells/bash -readline' >> /etc/portage/profile/package.use.force

build log:
root@5db7d943050e ~ # USE='-readline' emerge -1v --nodeps bash

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

[ebuild   R    ] app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2::gentoo  USE="net nls (-afs) -bashlogger -examples -mem-scramble -plugins -readline* -verify-sig" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2::gentoo
 * bash-5.1.tar.gz BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                [ ok ]
 * bash51-001 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-002 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-003 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-004 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-005 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-006 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-007 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-008 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-009 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-010 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-011 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-012 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-013 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-014 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-015 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash51-016 BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * bash-5.1_p16-patches.tar.xz BLAKE2B SHA512 size ;-) ...                    [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking bash-5.1.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2/work
>>> Unpacking bash-5.1_p16-patches.tar.xz to /var/tmp/portage/app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2/work
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2/work/bash-5.1 ...
 * Applying bash51-001 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-002 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-003 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-004 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-005 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-006 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-007 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-008 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-009 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-010 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-011 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-012 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-013 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-014 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-015 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash51-016 ...
 [ ok ]
 * Applying bash-5.0-syslog-history-extern.patch ...
patching file builtins/shopt.def
Hunk #1 succeeded at 242 with fuzz 2 (offset 119 lines).
 [ ok ]
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2/work/bash-5.1 ...
 * econf: updating bash-5.1/support/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
 * econf: updating bash-5.1/support/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
./configure --prefix=/usr --build=aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu --host=aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --docdir=/usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/html --libdir=/usr/lib64 --disable-profiling --with-curses --disable-mem-scramble --enable-net-redirections --disable-readline --disable-bang-history --disable-history --without-afs --without-bash-malloc --with-installed-readline=.
checking build system type... aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu

Beginning configuration for bash-5.1-release for aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking for aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc... aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for library containing strerror... none required
checking how to run the C preprocessor... aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking minix/config.h usability... no
checking minix/config.h presence... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
checking whether aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/lib/portage/python3.10/ebuild-helpers/xattr/install -c
checking for aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-ar... aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-ar
checking for aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-ranlib... aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-ranlib
checking for bison... bison -y
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for preprocessor stringizing operator... yes
checking for long double with more range or precision than double... yes
checking for function prototypes... yes
checking whether char is unsigned... yes
checking for working volatile... yes
checking for C/C++ restrict keyword... __restrict
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/gmsgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
checking whether we are using the GNU C Library 2 or newer... yes
checking whether the -Werror option is usable... yes
checking for simple visibility declarations... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking for xlocale.h... no
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for working mmap... yes
checking whether integer division by zero raises SIGFPE... no
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for unsigned long long int... yes
checking for inttypes.h... (cached) yes
checking whether the inttypes.h PRIxNN macros are broken... no
checking for ld used by aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc... /usr/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for shared library run path origin... done
checking 32-bit host C ABI... no
checking for the common suffixes of directories in the library search path... lib64,lib64
checking whether imported symbols can be declared weak... yes
checking pthread.h usability... yes
checking pthread.h presence... yes
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking for pthread_kill in -lpthread... yes
checking for multithread API to use... posix
checking for pthread_rwlock_t... yes
checking whether pthread_rwlock_rdlock prefers a writer to a reader... no
checking for iconv... yes
checking for working iconv... yes
checking for iconv declaration...
         extern size_t iconv (iconv_t cd, char * *inbuf, size_t *inbytesleft, char * *outbuf, size_t *outbytesleft);
checking argz.h usability... yes
checking argz.h presence... yes
checking for argz.h... yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking for sys/param.h... (cached) yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking for getegid... yes
checking for geteuid... yes
checking for getgid... yes
checking for getuid... yes
checking for mempcpy... yes
checking for munmap... yes
checking for stpcpy... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strtoul... yes
checking for tsearch... yes
checking for argz_count... yes
checking for argz_stringify... yes
checking for argz_next... yes
checking for __fsetlocking... yes
checking for localeconv... yes
checking whether feof_unlocked is declared... yes
checking whether fgets_unlocked is declared... yes
checking for bison... bison
checking version of bison... 3.8.2, ok
checking for long long int... yes
checking for wchar_t... yes
checking for wint_t... yes
checking whether wint_t is too small... no
checking for intmax_t... yes
checking whether printf() supports POSIX/XSI format strings... yes
checking whether we are using the GNU C Library >= 2.1 or uClibc... yes
checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
checking for SIZE_MAX... yes
checking for symlink... yes
checking for uselocale... yes
checking for alarm... yes
checking for fpurge... no
checking for __fpurge... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for working fcntl.h... yes
checking whether uselocale works... yes
checking for fake locale system (OpenBSD)... no
checking for Solaris 11.4 locale system... no
checking for getlocalename_l... no
checking for CFPreferencesCopyAppValue... no
checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... no
checking for CFLocaleCopyPreferredLanguages... no
checking for flexible array members... yes
checking for aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-ar... (cached) aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-ar
checking for ptrdiff_t... yes
checking features.h usability... yes
checking features.h presence... yes
checking for features.h... yes
checking stddef.h usability... yes
checking stddef.h presence... yes
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for asprintf... yes
checking for fwprintf... yes
checking for newlocale... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for setenv... yes
checking for setlocale... yes
checking for snprintf... (cached) yes
checking for strnlen... yes
checking for uselocale... (cached) yes
checking for wcslen... yes
checking for wcsnlen... yes
checking for mbrtowc... yes
checking for wcrtomb... yes
checking whether _snprintf is declared... no
checking whether _snwprintf is declared... no
checking whether getc_unlocked is declared... yes
checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... yes
checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking for CFPreferencesCopyAppValue... (cached) no
checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... (cached) no
checking for CFLocaleCopyPreferredLanguages... (cached) no
checking whether included gettext is requested... no
checking for GNU gettext in libc... yes
checking whether to use NLS... yes
checking where the gettext function comes from... libc
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking for library containing opendir... none required
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking whether sys/types.h defines makedev... no
checking sys/mkdev.h usability... no
checking sys/mkdev.h presence... no
checking for sys/mkdev.h... no
checking sys/sysmacros.h usability... yes
checking sys/sysmacros.h presence... yes
checking for sys/sysmacros.h... yes
checking stdarg.h usability... yes
checking stdarg.h presence... yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking varargs.h usability... no
checking varargs.h presence... no
checking for varargs.h... no
checking for limits.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for memory.h... (cached) yes
checking locale.h usability... yes
checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking termcap.h usability... yes
checking termcap.h presence... yes
checking for termcap.h... yes
checking termio.h usability... yes
checking termio.h presence... yes
checking for termio.h... yes
checking termios.h usability... yes
checking termios.h presence... yes
checking for termios.h... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... (cached) no
checking stdbool.h usability... yes
checking stdbool.h presence... yes
checking for stdbool.h... yes
checking for stddef.h... (cached) yes
checking netdb.h usability... yes
checking netdb.h presence... yes
checking for netdb.h... yes
checking pwd.h usability... yes
checking pwd.h presence... yes
checking for pwd.h... yes
checking grp.h usability... yes
checking grp.h presence... yes
checking for grp.h... yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking regex.h usability... yes
checking regex.h presence... yes
checking for regex.h... yes
checking syslog.h usability... yes
checking syslog.h presence... yes
checking for syslog.h... yes
checking ulimit.h usability... yes
checking ulimit.h presence... yes
checking for ulimit.h... yes
checking sys/pte.h usability... no
checking sys/pte.h presence... no
checking for sys/pte.h... no
checking sys/stream.h usability... no
checking sys/stream.h presence... no
checking for sys/stream.h... no
checking sys/select.h usability... yes
checking sys/select.h presence... yes
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking sys/file.h usability... yes
checking sys/file.h presence... yes
checking for sys/file.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/mman.h usability... yes
checking sys/mman.h presence... yes
checking for sys/mman.h... yes
checking for sys/param.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/random.h usability... yes
checking sys/random.h presence... yes
checking for sys/random.h... yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/time.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/times.h usability... yes
checking sys/times.h presence... yes
checking for sys/times.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/wait.h usability... yes
checking sys/wait.h presence... yes
checking for sys/wait.h... yes
checking netinet/in.h usability... yes
checking netinet/in.h presence... yes
checking for netinet/in.h... yes
checking arpa/inet.h usability... yes
checking arpa/inet.h presence... yes
checking for arpa/inet.h... yes
checking for sys/ptem.h... no
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking for working alloca.h... (cached) yes
checking for alloca... (cached) yes
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... yes
checking for working chown... yes
checking whether getpgrp requires zero arguments... yes
checking for vprintf... yes
checking for _doprnt... no
checking for working strcoll... yes
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for __setostype... no
checking for wait3... yes
checking for mkfifo... yes
checking for dup2... yes
checking for eaccess... yes
checking for fcntl... yes
checking for getdtablesize... yes
checking for getentropy... yes
checking for getgroups... yes
checking for gethostname... yes
checking for getpagesize... (cached) yes
checking for getpeername... yes
checking for getrandom... yes
checking for getrlimit... yes
checking for getrusage... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for kill... yes
checking for killpg... yes
checking for lstat... yes
checking for pselect... yes
checking for readlink... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for setdtablesize... no
checking for setitimer... yes
checking for tcgetpgrp... yes
checking for uname... yes
checking for ulimit... yes
checking for waitpid... yes
checking for rename... yes
checking for bcopy... yes
checking for bzero... yes
checking for confstr... yes
checking for faccessat... yes
checking for fnmatch... yes
checking for getaddrinfo... yes
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for getservbyname... yes
checking for getservent... yes
checking for inet_aton... yes
checking for imaxdiv... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for pathconf... yes
checking for putenv... (cached) yes
checking for raise... yes
checking for random... yes
checking for regcomp... yes
checking for regexec... yes
checking for setenv... (cached) yes
checking for setlinebuf... yes
checking for setlocale... (cached) yes
checking for setvbuf... yes
checking for siginterrupt... yes
checking for strchr... yes
checking for sysconf... yes
checking for syslog... yes
checking for tcgetattr... yes
checking for times... yes
checking for ttyname... yes
checking for tzset... yes
checking for unsetenv... yes
checking for vasprintf... yes
checking for asprintf... (cached) yes
checking for isascii... yes
checking for isblank... yes
checking for isgraph... yes
checking for isprint... yes
checking for isspace... yes
checking for isxdigit... yes
checking for getpwent... yes
checking for getpwnam... yes
checking for getpwuid... yes
checking for mkstemp... yes
checking for mkdtemp... yes
checking for arc4random... yes
checking for getcwd... (cached) yes
checking for memset... yes
checking for strcasecmp... (cached) yes
checking for strcasestr... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strftime... yes
checking for strnlen... (cached) yes
checking for strpbrk... yes
checking for strstr... yes
checking for strtod... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for strtoul... (cached) yes
checking for strtoll... yes
checking for strtoull... yes
checking for strtoimax... yes
checking for strtoumax... yes
checking for dprintf... yes
checking for strchrnul... yes
checking for strdup... (cached) yes
checking libaudit.h usability... no
checking libaudit.h presence... no
checking for libaudit.h... no
checking whether AUDIT_USER_TTY is declared... yes
checking whether confstr is declared... yes
checking whether printf is declared... yes
checking whether sbrk is declared... yes
checking whether setregid is declared... yes
checking whether strcpy is declared... yes
checking whether strsignal is declared... yes
checking for setresuid... yes
checking for setresgid... yes
checking whether strtold is declared... yes
checking for broken strtold... no
checking for declaration of strtoimax... yes
checking for declaration of strtol... yes
checking for declaration of strtoll... yes
checking for declaration of strtoul... yes
checking for declaration of strtoull... yes
checking for declaration of strtoumax... yes
checking for working mktime... yes
checking for argz.h... (cached) yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking stdio_ext.h usability... yes
checking stdio_ext.h presence... yes
checking for stdio_ext.h... yes
checking for getpagesize... (cached) yes
checking for working mmap... (cached) yes
checking for __argz_count... yes
checking for __argz_next... yes
checking for __argz_stringify... yes
checking for dcgettext... yes
checking for mempcpy... (cached) yes
checking for munmap... (cached) yes
checking for mremap... yes
checking for stpcpy... (cached) yes
checking for strcspn... yes
checking wctype.h usability... yes
checking wctype.h presence... yes
checking for wctype.h... yes
checking wchar.h usability... yes
checking wchar.h presence... yes
checking for wchar.h... yes
checking langinfo.h usability... yes
checking langinfo.h presence... yes
checking for langinfo.h... yes
checking mbstr.h usability... no
checking mbstr.h presence... no
checking for mbstr.h... no
checking for mbrlen... yes
checking for mbscasecmp... no
checking for mbscmp... no
checking for mbsnrtowcs... yes
checking for mbsrtowcs... yes
checking for mbschr... no
checking for wcrtomb... (cached) yes
checking for wcscoll... yes
checking for wcsdup... yes
checking for wcwidth... yes
checking for wctype... yes
checking for wcswidth... yes
checking whether mbrtowc and mbstate_t are properly declared... (cached) yes
checking for iswlower... yes
checking for iswupper... yes
checking for towlower... yes
checking for towupper... yes
checking for iswctype... yes
checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... yes
checking for wchar_t in wchar.h... yes
checking for wctype_t in wctype.h... yes
checking for wint_t in wctype.h... yes
checking for wcwidth broken with unicode combining characters... yes
checking for locale_charset... no
checking size of wchar_t... 4
checking for dlopen in -ldl... (cached) no
checking for dlopen... (cached) no
checking for dlclose... (cached) no
checking for dlsym... (cached) no
checking whether sys_siglist is declared... no
checking type of array argument to getgroups... gid_t
checking for off_t... yes
checking for mode_t... yes
checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... (cached) yes
checking for uintptr_t... yes
checking for ssize_t... yes
checking for time_t... yes
checking for long long... long long
checking for unsigned long long... unsigned long long
checking return type of signal handlers... (cached) void
checking for sig_atomic_t in signal.h... yes
checking size of char... 1
checking size of short... 2
checking size of int... 4
checking size of long... 8
checking size of char *... 8
checking size of double... 8
checking size of long long... 8
checking for u_int... yes
checking for u_long... yes
checking for bits16_t... no
checking for u_bits16_t... no
checking for bits32_t... no
checking for u_bits32_t... no
checking for bits64_t... no
checking for ptrdiff_t... (cached) yes
checking whether stat file-mode macros are broken... no
checking whether #! works in shell scripts... yes
checking whether the ctype macros accept non-ascii characters... no
checking if dup2 fails to clear the close-on-exec flag... no
checking whether pgrps need synchronization... no
checking for type of signal functions... posix
checking for sys_errlist and sys_nerr... yes
checking for sys_siglist in system C library... no
checking for _sys_siglist in signal.h or unistd.h... no
checking for _sys_siglist in system C library... no
checking whether signal handlers are of type void... yes
checking for clock_t... yes
checking for sigset_t... yes
checking for sig_atomic_t... yes
checking for quad_t... yes
checking for intmax_t... yes
checking for uintmax_t... yes
checking for socklen_t... yes
checking for size and type of struct rlimit fields... rlim_t
checking size of intmax_t... 8
checking for struct termios.c_line... yes
checking for struct termio.c_line... yes
checking for struct dirent.d_ino... yes
checking for struct dirent.d_fileno... yes
checking for struct dirent.d_namlen... no
checking for struct winsize in sys/ioctl.h and termios.h... sys/ioctl.h
checking for struct timeval in sys/time.h and time.h... yes
checking for struct stat.st_blocks... yes
checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
checking for struct tm.tm_zone... yes
checking for struct timezone in sys/time.h and time.h... yes
checking for offset of exit status in return status from wait... 8
checking for struct timespec in <time.h>... yes
checking for struct stat.st_atim.tv_nsec... yes
checking whether struct stat.st_atim is of type struct timespec... yes
checking for sbrk... yes
checking for working sbrk... yes
checking for the existence of strsignal... yes
checking if opendir() opens non-directories... no
checking whether ulimit can substitute for getdtablesize... yes
checking whether fpurge is declared... no
checking to see if getenv can be redefined... yes
checking if getcwd() will dynamically allocate memory with 0 size... yes
checking for presence of POSIX-style sigsetjmp/siglongjmp... present
checking whether or not strcoll and strcmp differ... no
checking for standard-conformant snprintf... yes
checking for standard-conformant vsnprintf... yes
checking for standard-conformant putenv declaration... yes
checking for standard-conformant unsetenv declaration... yes
checking for printf floating point output in hex notation... yes
checking whether fnmatch can be used to check bracket equivalence classes... no
checking if signal handlers must be reinstalled when invoked... no
checking for presence of necessary job control definitions... present
checking for presence of named pipes... present
checking whether termios.h defines TIOCGWINSZ... no
checking whether sys/ioctl.h defines TIOCGWINSZ... yes
checking for TIOCSTAT in sys/ioctl.h... no
checking for FIONREAD in sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking whether WCONTINUED flag to waitpid is unavailable or available but broken... no
checking for speed_t in sys/types.h... no
checking whether getpw functions are declared in pwd.h... yes
checking for unusable real-time signals due to large values... no
checking whether /dev/fd is available... standard
checking whether /dev/stdin stdout stderr are available... present
checking for default mail directory... unknown
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating builtins/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/readline/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/glob/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/intl/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/malloc/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/sh/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/termcap/Makefile
config.status: creating lib/tilde/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating support/Makefile
config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
config.status: creating examples/loadables/Makefile
config.status: creating examples/loadables/Makefile.inc
config.status: creating examples/loadables/perl/Makefile
config.status: creating support/bash.pc
config.status: creating support/bashbug.sh
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: executing po-directories commands
config.status: creating po/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/Makefile
config.status: executing default commands
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2/work/bash-5.1 ...
make -j8
rm -f mksyntax
aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -DPROGRAM='"bash"' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='"aarch64"' -DCONF_OSTYPE='"linux-gnu"' -DCONF_MACHTYPE='"aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu"' -DCONF_VENDOR='"unknown"' -DLOCALEDIR='"/usr/share/locale"' -DPACKAGE='"bash"' -DSHELL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.  -I. -I./include -I./lib  -DDEFAULT_PATH_VALUE='"/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"' -DSTANDARD_UTILS_PATH='"/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin"' -DSYS_BASHRC='"/etc/bash/bashrc"' -DSYS_BASH_LOGOUT='"/etc/bash/bash_logout"' -DNON_INTERACTIVE_LOGIN_SHELLS -DSSH_SOURCE_BASHRC -O2 -pipe -march=armv8-a+crc+crypto -mtune=cortex-a72.cortex-a53 -mfix-cortex-a53-835769 -mfix-cortex-a53-843419   -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed  -O2 -pipe -march=armv8-a+crc+crypto -mtune=cortex-a72.cortex-a53 -mfix-cortex-a53-835769 -mfix-cortex-a53-843419     -O2 -pipe -march=armv8-a+crc+crypto -mtune=cortex-a72.cortex-a53 -mfix-cortex-a53-835769 -mfix-cortex-a53-843419  -o mksyntax ./mksyntax.c
rm -f mksignames.o
rm -f buildsignames.o
rm -f unwind_prot.o
aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -DPROGRAM='"bash"' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='"aarch64"' -DCONF_OSTYPE='"linux-gnu"' -DCONF_MACHTYPE='"aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu"' -DCONF_VENDOR='"unknown"' -DLOCALEDIR='"/usr/share/locale"' -DPACKAGE='"bash"' -DSHELL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.  -I. -I./include -I./lib  -DDEFAULT_PATH_VALUE='"/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"' -DSTANDARD_UTILS_PATH='"/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin"' -DSYS_BASHRC='"/etc/bash/bashrc"' -DSYS_BASH_LOGOUT='"/etc/bash/bash_logout"' -DNON_INTERACTIVE_LOGIN_SHELLS -DSSH_SOURCE_BASHRC -O2 -pipe -march=armv8-a+crc+crypto -mtune=cortex-a72.cortex-a53 -mfix-cortex-a53-835769 -mfix-cortex-a53-843419  -DBUILDTOOL -c ./support/mksignames.c
aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -DPROGRAM='"bash"' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='"aarch64"' -DCONF_OSTYPE='"linux-gnu"' -DCONF_MACHTYPE='"aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu"' -DCONF_VENDOR='"unknown"' -DLOCALEDIR='"/usr/share/locale"' -DPACKAGE='"bash"' -DSHELL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.  -I. -I./include -I./lib  -DDEFAULT_PATH_VALUE='"/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"' -DSTANDARD_UTILS_PATH='"/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin"' -DSYS_BASHRC='"/etc/bash/bashrc"' -DSYS_BASH_LOGOUT='"/etc/bash/bash_logout"' -DNON_INTERACTIVE_LOGIN_SHELLS -DSSH_SOURCE_BASHRC -O2 -pipe -march=armv8-a+crc+crypto -mtune=cortex-a72.cortex-a53 -mfix-cortex-a53-835769 -mfix-cortex-a53-843419  -DBUILDTOOL -o buildsignames.o -c ./support/signames.c
aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc  -DPROGRAM='"bash"' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='"aarch64"' -DCONF_OSTYPE='"linux-gnu"' -DCONF_MACHTYPE='"aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu"' -DCONF_VENDOR='"unknown"' -DLOCALEDIR='"/usr/share/locale"' -DPACKAGE='"bash"' -DSHELL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.  -I. -I./include -I./lib   -DDEFAULT_PATH_VALUE='"/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"' -DSTANDARD_UTILS_PATH='"/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin"' -DSYS_BASHRC='"/etc/bash/bashrc"' -DSYS_BASH_LOGOUT='"/etc/bash/bash_logout"' -DNON_INTERACTIVE_LOGIN_SHELLS -DSSH_SOURCE_BASHRC -O2 -pipe -march=armv8-a+crc+crypto -mtune=cortex-a72.cortex-a53 -mfix-cortex-a53-835769 -mfix-cortex-a53-843419  -c version.c
make[1]: warning: -j8 forced in submake: resetting jobserver mode.
make[1]: Entering directory '/var/tmp/portage/app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2/work/bash-5.1/builtins'
rm -f builtins.o

>>> Completed installing app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2 into /var/tmp/portage/app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2/image

* Final size of build directory: 38972 KiB (38.0 MiB)
 * Final size of installed tree:   9068 KiB ( 8.8 MiB)

strip: aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-strip --strip-unneeded -N __gentoo_check_ldflags__ -R .comment -R .GCC.command.line -R .note.gnu.gold-version
   /bin/bash

>>> Installing (1 of 1) app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2::gentoo
 * checking 66 files for package collisions
>>> Merging app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2 to /
--- /usr/
--- /usr/share/
--- /usr/share/doc/
--- /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/NEWS.bz2
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/AUTHORS.bz2
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/CHANGES.bz2
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/ChangeLog.bz2
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/README.bz2
--- /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/html/
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/html/bashref.html
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/html/bash.html
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/RBASH.bz2
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/INTRO.bz2
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/POSIX.bz2
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/COMPAT.bz2
>>> /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/FAQ.bz2
--- /usr/share/info/
>>> /usr/share/info/bash.info.bz2
>>> /usr/share/info/bashref.info.bz2 -> bash.info.bz2
--- /usr/share/locale/
--- /usr/share/locale/de/
--- /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/da/
--- /usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/pt/
--- /usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/gl/
--- /usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/es/
--- /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/hr/
--- /usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/ru/
--- /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/pl/
--- /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/
--- /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/en@boldquot/
--- /usr/share/locale/en@boldquot/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/en@boldquot/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/el/
--- /usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/en@quot/
--- /usr/share/locale/en@quot/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/en@quot/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/eo/
--- /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/vi/
--- /usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/ja/
--- /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/ga/
--- /usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/sv/
--- /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/tr/
--- /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/nb/
--- /usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/af/
--- /usr/share/locale/af/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/af/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/cs/
--- /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/ca/
--- /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/sk/
--- /usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/et/
--- /usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/ko/
--- /usr/share/locale/ko/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/ko/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/id/
--- /usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/ro/
--- /usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/hu/
--- /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/bg/
--- /usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/uk/
--- /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/sl/
--- /usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/lt/
--- /usr/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/
--- /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/fr/
--- /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/
--- /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/it/
--- /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/nl/
--- /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/fi/
--- /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/locale/sr/
--- /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/
>>> /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- /usr/share/man/
--- /usr/share/man/man1/
>>> /usr/share/man/man1/bashbug.1.bz2
>>> /usr/share/man/man1/rbash.1.bz2
>>> /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1.bz2
>>> /usr/share/man/man1/bash_builtins.1.bz2
--- /usr/bin/
>>> /usr/bin/bashbug
--- /bin/
>>> /bin/bash
>>> /bin/rbash -> bash
--- /etc/
--- /etc/skel/
>>> /etc/skel/.bashrc
>>> /etc/skel/.bash_profile
>>> /etc/skel/.bash_logout
--- /etc/bash/
>>> /etc/bash/bashrc
>>> /etc/bash/bash_logout
--- /etc/bash/bashrc.d/
>>> /etc/bash/bashrc.d/.keep_app-shells_bash-0
>>> Safely unmerging already-installed instance...
/usr/lib/portage/python3.10/save-ebuild-env.sh: line 86: compgen: command not found
/usr/lib/portage/python3.10/save-ebuild-env.sh: line 86: compgen: command not found
No package files given... Grabbing a set.
--- replaced obj /usr/share/man/man1/rbash.1.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/man/man1/bashbug.1.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/man/man1/bash_builtins.1.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1.bz2
--- replaced dir /usr/share/man/man1
--- replaced dir /usr/share/man
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/zh_TW
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/zh_CN
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/vi
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/uk
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/tr
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/sv
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/sr
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/sl/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/sl
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/sk
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ru
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ro
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/pt_BR
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/pt
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/pl
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/nl
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/nb
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/lt
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/ko/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ko/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ko
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ja
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/it
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/id
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/hu
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/hr
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/gl
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ga
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/fr
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/fi
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/et
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/es
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/eo
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/en@quot/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/en@quot/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/en@quot
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/en@boldquot/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/en@boldquot/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/en@boldquot
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/el
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/de
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/da
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/cs
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/ca
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/bg
--- replaced obj /usr/share/locale/af/LC_MESSAGES/bash.mo
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/af/LC_MESSAGES
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale/af
--- replaced dir /usr/share/locale
--- replaced sym /usr/share/info/bashref.info.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/info/bash.info.bz2
--- replaced dir /usr/share/info
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/html/bashref.html
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/html/bash.html
--- replaced dir /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/html
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/README.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/RBASH.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/POSIX.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/NEWS.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/INTRO.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/FAQ.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/ChangeLog.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/COMPAT.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/CHANGES.bz2
--- replaced obj /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2/AUTHORS.bz2
--- replaced dir /usr/share/doc/bash-5.1_p16-r2
--- replaced dir /usr/share/doc
--- replaced dir /usr/share
--- replaced obj /usr/bin/bashbug
--- replaced dir /usr/bin
--- replaced dir /usr
--- replaced obj /etc/skel/.bashrc
--- replaced obj /etc/skel/.bash_profile
--- replaced obj /etc/skel/.bash_logout
--- replaced dir /etc/skel
--- replaced obj /etc/bash/bashrc.d/.keep_app-shells_bash-0
--- replaced dir /etc/bash/bashrc.d
--- replaced obj /etc/bash/bashrc
--- replaced obj /etc/bash/bash_logout
--- replaced dir /etc/bash
--- replaced dir /etc
--- replaced sym /bin/rbash
--- replaced obj /bin/bash
--- replaced dir /bin
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> Original instance of package unmerged safely.
>>> app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2 merged.

* Regenerating GNU info directory index...
 * Processed 110 info files.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
Here is a example how I successfully build "bash" without "readline".
Code:

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> Original instance of package unmerged safely.
>>> app-shells/bash-5.1_p16-r2 merged.

* Regenerating GNU info directory index...
 * Processed 110 info files.

@lefsha
Well, now the question becomes whether or not one can live without the compgen command.
Regarding the static bash thing, it seems like you are talking to a brick wall here.
Go open a bug about this if it is true that bash can be built static. At least this was the advice recently given to me about such problems.
Maybe write an ebuild for static bash and add it to an overlay. I find that better that maintaining everything outside of portage.
Sad that we have to implement local workarounds for so many things. That's what I've done before joining the forums, and that's what I'll keep doing.
I believe you made some other points too, but I can't keep tracks of them in all this.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah wrt compgen there was https://bugs.gentoo.org/445576 (bug is referenced in the ebuild to explain why it asks for [readline]), there is also one ebuild that use it (ncdu). Does make me wonder if the latter is valid though, PMS doesn't really say anything about compgen availability in ebuilds, portage itself is free to use what it wants if it depends on it though.

This also make me realize that on one of my package (written in bash) I should also depend on bash[readline], compgen being conditional wasn't something I really thought about and I did use it.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
Yeah wrt compgen there was https://bugs.gentoo.org/445576 (bug is referenced in the ebuild to explain why it asks for [readline]), there is also one ebuild that use it (ncdu). Does make me wonder if the latter is valid though, PMS doesn't really say anything about compgen availability, portage is free to use what it wants if it depends on it though.

So only 2 ebuilds depend on compgen, which is the only reason portage wants USE="readline" on bash, one of them being bash itself?
If that's true, I agree with lefsha that the dependency isn't sane.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan11111 wrote:
Ionen wrote:
Yeah wrt compgen there was https://bugs.gentoo.org/445576 (bug is referenced in the ebuild to explain why it asks for [readline]), there is also one ebuild that use it (ncdu). Does make me wonder if the latter is valid though, PMS doesn't really say anything about compgen availability, portage is free to use what it wants if it depends on it though.

So only 2 ebuilds depend on compgen, which is the only reason portage wants USE="readline" on bash, one of them being bash itself?
If that's true, I agree with lefsha that the dependency isn't sane.
No it's not bash itself, bug is just misleading. It's portage internals that uses it, and thus you'd see this message on anything you emerge.

And so, since portage uses compgen, it depends on bash[readline].

Edit: it's hard to say if it makes sense to change & remove though, PMS-wise (package manager specification) there's no mention of if compgen must be available -- and fail that, we could assume that a non-gimped bash is expected. In theory a future EAPI (if not a retroactive revision) could add a clause to either say that "compgen must not be used" or "must be available", to remove this ambiguity (guess there's a few other optional things that could use clarification/banning in ebuilds like bash's plugin support or networking stuff -- albeit not as bad as compgen which feels a bit part of the language).

Edit2: thinking about it, I do believe PMS shouldn't allow compgen

Last edited by Ionen on Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:

Edit: it's hard to say if it makes sense to change & remove though, PMS-wise (package manager specification) there's no mention of if compgen must be available -- and fail that, we could assume that a non-gimped bash is expected. In theory a future EAPI could add a clause to say that "compgen must not be used", to remove this ambiguity.

On my system, this wouldn't get rid of readline anyway:
Code:
Calculating dependencies... done!
  sys-libs/readline-8.2_p1 pulled in by:
    app-shells/bash-5.2_p15-r3 requires >=sys-libs/readline-8.2_p1:=, >=sys-libs/readline-8.2_p1:0/8=
    dev-lang/ruby-3.1.4-r3 requires sys-libs/readline:0/8=, sys-libs/readline:0=
    net-fs/samba-4.18.3 requires sys-libs/readline:=, sys-libs/readline:0/8=
    sys-devel/gdb-13.2 requires >=sys-libs/readline-7:=, >=sys-libs/readline-7:0/8=

I should probably ditch ruby and find a replacement for mkvtoolnix. Maybe someone can give me suggestions.
As long as samba and gdb need readline, it has to stay. Why they need it is another question.
Still, I can see why some embedded/minimal systems wouldn't want any of these.
It would help those guys to not have to install readline and bloated bash just because portage uses compgen.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan11111 wrote:
I should probably ditch ruby and find a replacement for mkvtoolnix. Maybe someone can give me suggestions.
I used to use mkvtoolnix long ago, but it's rare I have something I can't do with just ffmpeg (it can copy streams as-is without re-encoding, adjust metadata and such, and mux into mkv). And I'm more used to it at this point, mkvtoolnix just has me into the man page trying to figure out how to do what I want (Edit: not to claim that ffmpeg is easy to use :| just "more used to"). Guess depends on what you need it for.

I don't have ruby myself.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
stefan11111 wrote:
I used to use mkvtoolnix long ago, but it's rare I have something I can't do with just ffmpeg (it can copy streams as-is without re-encoding, adjust metadata and such, and mux into mkv). And I'm more used to it at this point, mkvtoolnix just has me into the man page trying to figure out how to do what I want. Guess depends on what you need it for.

All I use it is to add subs to blu-rays that wash up from the 7 seas.
It is probably well documented enough so that I'll find my may with it.

Code:
$ nm -D /lib64/libhistory.so.8 | wc -l
$ nm -D /lib64/libreadline.so.8.2 | wc -l

Maybe...
But I don't know is readline is that heavy. At least I suspect it to not be as poorly written and wasteful as atk.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha wrote:
Do you understand that your words support my idea
Yes.
However I'm not complaining about it as loudly. I'm ok with some restrictions. There are some other things on portage that I'd like to get improved rather than bash[readline] requirement removal. Those other things are pretty minor things. Another topic, another time...
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
stefan11111 wrote:
I used to use mkvtoolnix long ago, but it's rare I have something I can't do with just ffmpeg (it can copy streams as-is without re-encoding, adjust metadata and such, and mux into mkv). And I'm more used to it at this point, mkvtoolnix just has me into the man page trying to figure out how to do what I want (Edit: not to claim that ffmpeg is easy to use :| just "more used to"). Guess depends on what you need it for.

Finally ditched mkvtoolnix.
Code:
All selected packages: =x11-libs/xcb-util-image-0.4.1 =dev-qt/qtsvg-5.15.10 =media-libs/libogg-1.3.5-r1 =media-libs/libvorbis-1.3.7-r1 =dev-qt/qtconcurrent-5.15.10 =dev-qt/qtmultimedia-5.15.10 =dev-qt/qtwidgets-5.15.10-r1 =dev-cpp/nlohmann_json-3.11.2-r1 =dev-libs/libfmt-9.1.0-r1 =dev-lang/ruby-3.1.4-r3 =x11-libs/xcb-util-wm-0.4.2 =app-eselect/eselect-ruby-20230616 =x11-libs/xcb-util-renderutil-0.3.10 =x11-libs/xcb-util-keysyms-0.4.1 =dev-ruby/bundler-2.4.6 =media-libs/libmatroska-1.7.1 =virtual/rubygems-18 =x11-libs/xcb-util-0.4.1 =dev-libs/pugixml-1.13 =dev-ruby/did_you_mean-1.6.3 =dev-ruby/test-unit-3.6.1 =dev-ruby/rbs-3.0.4 =dev-libs/libebml-1.4.4 =dev-util/colm-0.14.7-r3 =dev-ruby/json-2.6.3 =dev-ruby/rss-0.2.9-r1 =dev-libs/utfcpp-3.2.1 =dev-ruby/rexml-3.2.5-r1 =dev-util/ragel-7.0.4-r2 =virtual/ruby-ssl-13 =media-libs/flac-1.4.3 =dev-ruby/rubygems-3.4.6 =dev-libs/libyaml-0.2.5 =dev-qt/qtgui-5.15.10 =dev-ruby/typeprof-0.21.7 =dev-ruby/minitest-5.18.1 =dev-ruby/rake-13.0.6-r2 =app-text/cmark-0.30.3 =dev-ruby/power_assert-2.0.3

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next version of sys-apps/portage (3.0.50) will no longer make use of compgen, nor will it depend upon app-shells/bash[readline].
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just figured out that I don't need samba and cifs to mount network filesystems and play videos from them.
I removed samba and cifs, which interestingly also removed libcap. That caused some preserved libs on openrc, but those were resolved after rebuilding openrc.
Now I am left with these packages that depend on readline:
Code:
  sys-libs/readline-8.2_p1 pulled in by:
    app-shells/bash-5.2_p15-r6 requires >=sys-libs/readline-8.2_p1:0/8=, >=sys-libs/readline-8.2_p1:=
    sys-devel/gdb-13.2 requires >=sys-libs/readline-7:0/8=, >=sys-libs/readline-7:=

I want to see what I can do about readline, but I want to still have a working shell, however:
Code:
$ doas emerge -1av bash

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 0.95 s.

[ebuild   R    ] app-shells/bash-5.2_p15-r6::gentoo  USE="net pgo (readline) verify-sig -afs -bashlogger -examples -mem-scramble -nls -plugins" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

USE="readline" is forced by my profile. How can I disable it?

kerframil wrote:
The next version of sys-apps/portage (3.0.50) will no longer make use of compgen, nor will it depend upon app-shells/bash[readline].

Great if true.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan11111 wrote:
USE="readline" is forced by my profile. How can I disable it?

To prevent it from being forcibly enabled:-

Code:
echo "app-shells/bash -readline" >> /etc/portage/profile/package.use.force

stefan11111 wrote:
kerframil wrote:

Great if true.

It is (the change is already in portage-9999).
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made the change on my pi.
Now whenever I telnet into it, I get this message:
Code:
-bash: shopt: no_empty_cmd_completion: invalid shell option name

Any idea how to fix it?

I also see that USE="readline" is still masked/forced(don't know the proper term).
Why is that?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that shell option is only present in bash builds with USE=readline. You should not attempt to modify that option on your USE=-readline bash.

It is probably still forced because no one has removed the force:
profiles/base/package.use.force:
# Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> (2012-12-04)
# Force app-shells/bash[readline] in stage1 builds, so that compgen is
# available for sys-apps/portage (see bug #445576).
app-shells/bash:0 readline
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can live with that warning. But I still don't think that is the proper way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: