Sun Ultra Sparc 30
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thehog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Sun Ultra Sparc 30 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am about to buy a Sun Ultra Sparc 30. The machine has a main 300 MHz processor and an extra 300 MHz (co) processor, 2x4 GB SCSI disks and 1 GB RAM.

I am not sure whether to really buy it (approx. USD 150). Will Gentoo run on it and will I be able to run Xorg, KDE/Gnome, Firefox, OpenOffice etc. to a reasonable degree?

Anyone has experience with such a machine?

Thanks for answering.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Kernel & Hardware to Gentoo on Sparc, you should get more help here.
sblaineyuk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Similar machine Reply with quote

According to the Sun Service Manual it is a uniprocessor machine... so not sure what you mean by co-processor.

I have a similar system, it's a Netra 1125 - essentially a rackmount Ultra60 - with 2x440mhz CPUs and 1GB of RAM. It handles Gnome, Firefox and Openoffice okay. Sometimes I get jerky video playback through Xine or Mplayer. And, it does take a lone time to compile stuff, I didn't time it but I think it took over 24hrs to compile Openoffice.
flak7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Ultra Sparc 30 Reply with quote

thehog wrote:
Hi,

I am about to buy a Sun Ultra Sparc 30. The machine has a main 300 MHz processor and an extra 300 MHz (co) processor, 2x4 GB SCSI disks and 1 GB RAM.

300Mhz UltraSparc II processor L2=2MB
1GB 60ns RAM
40MB/s SCSI
supports up to 2 graphical cards

RAM and disks are O.K. the question is will 300Mhz/L2=2MB be enough. Note: you will not be able to upgrade CPU. U30 supports only 250Mhz/L2=1MB & 300Mhz/L2=2MB processors.

300Mhz coprocessor? You mean doughter board (SunPCi card, "Sun penguin card")? It is used to run second OS not boast performence of workstation. You will not be able to operate it with Gentoo, though Solaris can use it to run Red Hat Enterprise or Windows on it.
Look here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-447822.html
thehog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Ultra Sparc 30 Reply with quote

I found the 2nd CPU on the U30 suspicous indeed The current owner just told me that Solaris runs on only 1 proc and that the 2nd proc is used for running a user (CAD) application. The amount of RAM is enormeous for this machine, but disks are on the small side. Although the 300MHz Ultra is 64bit RISC and runs SCSI, I guess that it may be outperformed by my EPIA Nehemiah 1GHz. So, I might be better off not buying this thing... too bad.

Thanks for the replies :-)
flak7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Ultra Sparc 30 Reply with quote

thehog wrote:
I found the 2nd CPU on the U30 suspicous indeed The current owner just told me that Solaris runs on only 1 proc and that the 2nd proc is used for running a user (CAD) application. The amount of RAM is enormeous for this machine, but disks are on the small side. Although the 300MHz Ultra is 64bit RISC and runs SCSI, I guess that it may be outperformed by my EPIA Nehemiah 1GHz. So, I might be better off not buying this thing... too bad.

Thanks for the replies :-)

I heard a gossip on this forum that:

UltraSparcII = Pentium 3,
1MHz = 2MHz

So UltraSparcII 300MHz = PentiumIII 600MHz
Though I can not tell you if this is true. I am running poor UltraSparcIIi (note the "i") + 384 RAM and IDE(PIO only) disks.

With SCSI and 1GB RAM (SPARCs love RAM) it is not bad. But you will not be able to get better CPU.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run Gentoo on an Ultra 30 in the past and it works just fine. As others in this thread have mentioned, it only supports one UltraSPARC processor. The co-processor could be a SunPCI board which is essentially an x86 machine on a PCI card (with a complete set of outputs on the back for video, audio, etc). However chances are whatever this co-processor is would not be supported under anything but Solaris.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: