View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moebius
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Konqueror uses weird fonts on some Websites Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

The last Xfree- and KDE-update (Xfree 4.3.0 revision r2, KDE 3.1.4) caused som troubles.
Most of them could be solved easily (THANKS TO ALL GENTOO-FORUM_USERS). But one problem rests unsolved...

I really had a hard look at all the Gentoo-Forum stuff, but I couldn't find any solution. My Konqueror uses weird fonts on some Websites. Just have a look at that Snapshot....

Thanks
tawtao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like konqueror using "fixed" fonts on this webpage. I think, when konqueror require some specific font to xfs (X fonts server) but xfs does not recognize it, it return "fixed" font by default.

Well ... you might need to check up your xfs configuration. First check the font directory list in the file

/etc/X11/fs/config

Add all font directory you may have there and restart xfs.

Now you might need to check file /etc/fonts/local.conf
Add all font directory you may have there, and run
Code:

fc-cache -fv

to see weather the font caches have been created.

Then go back and check the website again. This time, you should have all the fonts you need :) ... I hope.

Oh ... if you may ask, the fonts usually located in this two directory,
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
/usr/share/fonts

Check it out :)
Moebius
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: I have tried it out. Reply with quote

Thank you for your tips. Your description of the problem seemed to hit it. So I have tried it out, but it didn't work unfortunately.
But I have learned a bit about fonts and how they are handled (I discovered, that I had installed several fonts twice...), so I removed the twice installed fonts...
And now even Mozilla wouldn't start (Error in the Java-Plugin-Library, some unresolved stuff)...

In the KDE-Control-center it says, that I refresh my font list with xset fp rehash.

Should I change that?
tawtao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: I have tried it out. Reply with quote

Moebius wrote:
Thank you for your tips. Your description of the problem seemed to hit it. So I have tried it out, but it didn't work unfortunately.
But I have learned a bit about fonts and how they are handled (I discovered, that I had installed several fonts twice...), so I removed the twice installed fonts...
And now even Mozilla wouldn't start (Error in the Java-Plugin-Library, some unresolved stuff)...

In the KDE-Control-center it says, that I refresh my font list with xset fp rehash.

Should I change that?

I though I hit it too :P ... but very unfortunate :) ... I cut/paste this from man page of xset,
Code:

xset  fp rehash
               The  rehash argument resets the font path to its current value,
               causing the server to reread the font databases in the  current
               font  path.   This is generally only used when adding new fonts
               to a font directory (after running mkfontdir  to  recreate  the
               font database).

I think it should be safe to do it because what it does is "casuing the server to reread the font database", which is equivalent to restart xfs or restart X.

One more thing, have you check your fonts data base? Each directory that contain fonts suppose to have at least the "fonts.dir" file. This "fonts.dir" map your font discription to font file name. This can be created by command "mkfontdir". I also notice that there are more of "fonts.*" files, such as, fonts.cache-1, fonts.list, fonts.scale. I have know idea how I get these file. They created when I install the fonts? I guess, fonts.cache-1 is created with command, fc-cache -fv. Other fonts.* files, I have know idea.

By the way, there are at least three ways of config fonts for X windows!
One is using "xfs", X-font server. It configuration is in /etc/X11/fs/config. The second one is using FontPath in /etc/X11/XF86Config. Here is example,
Code:

Section "Files"
   FontPath  "unix/:-1"
        FontPath  "/path/to/your/fonts"

The first font path tell X to find fonts from xfs, which I think should eliminate needed of other FontPath bellow the first line. But unfortunate, If I delete other FontPath lines, my openoffice can not find all fonts. I just put it there.

The third way is using fontconfig. This package is used to configuring and customizing font access. The configuration of the fontconfig package is in
/etc/fonts
The command "fc-cache" is a part of this package. I don't know much about this package at all. Basically, I add this two line to my
/etc/fonts/local.conf

Code:

<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>

And run "fc-cache -fv" ... :)

I hope I did not repeat any information you already know. If I do, please accept my apology. :)

Have fun with configurating X fonts.
Moebius
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I have tried it out. Reply with quote

tawtao wrote:

I hope I did not repeat any information you already know. If I do, please accept my apology. :)

Have fun with configurating X fonts.

No, you didn't. Thanks a lot for your detailed information. In the moment I am happy, that I managed to "repair" Mozilla (it was just a permission-problem) and I am quite busy....

So, I will try it later, but I will tell you if I was succesful or not.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: