Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo GUI Installer based in Anaconda
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vprada
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jul 2002
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: Gentoo GUI Installer based in Anaconda Reply with quote

Hello Everybody... I upload an iso image for a Gentoo Installer based in a modifications i did to the Red Hat's installer ANaconda. Please take a look to it and send me your feedbacks..!!!

You can download from http://gentoo.latinux.org/latinux_gentoo_installer/Gentoo_latinux_internet-01.img, at least 150 people has already download it

Thanks
Víctor Prada
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lockup
Guru
Guru


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 430

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

downloading it at the moment
does it have anything more than the basic 130~ mbs iso installer or is it just the same but graphical?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mksoft
l33t
l33t


Joined: 28 May 2002
Posts: 844

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the modified anaconda sources there as well :?: I thought about doing something similar, maybe we can pool resources :?:
_________________
There's someone in my head but it's not me - Pink Floyd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest






PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get to "running anaconda" and i see the text which says that it my video card (geforce 3) cannot be probed
i then see the monitor and mouse being probed
after that i sit at a black screen with no HD or CD activity
Back to top
^-Codemasta-^
n00b
n00b


Joined: 17 Jul 2002
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me 2 .... i have a geforce2 but the installer don`t works.
But, so or so, i think gentoo ist so good because it`s also easy to install without an installer. You can`t learn anything by don`t doing yourself!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RMXO
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Jul 2002
Posts: 31
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt work on my Dell c800. it probed my ATI rage128 mobility card correctly but said unable to probe monite & it said it started X then screen went blank
_________________
Once you go SMP you never wanna go back!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aardvark
Guru
Guru


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 576

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
i get to "running anaconda" and i see the text which says that it my video card (geforce 3) cannot be probed
i then see the monitor and mouse being probed
after that i sit at a black screen with no HD or CD activity


Same here on two different PC's with apart from mobo different hardware
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 18838

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistency is a Good Thing.
_________________
Magna Carta (1215) | Spectral evidence no longer permissible (c. 1792) | Cancel culture, deplatforming (c. 2016)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest






PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Consistency is a Good Thing.

As long as it is consistently working ?
Back to top
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 18838

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
kanuslupus wrote:
Consistency is a Good Thing.

As long as it is consistently working ?
Not at all. Consistent problems make them easier to diagnose and fix.
_________________
Magna Carta (1215) | Spectral evidence no longer permissible (c. 1792) | Cancel culture, deplatforming (c. 2016)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Apr 2002
Posts: 856
Location: Porto Alegre, BR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mksoft wrote:
Can you post the modified anaconda sources there as well :?: I thought about doing something similar, maybe we can pool resources :?:

Anaconda is licensed under the GPL, so the modified sources must be made available together with the binaries...
_________________
| www.gentoo.org | www.tldp.org | www.google.com |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest






PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockup wrote:
downloading it at the moment
does it have anything more than the basic 130~ mbs iso installer or is it just the same but graphical?


This installer will do some kind of emerge system. I'd call it "Gentoo Base System".... once is installed you can make emerge of everything else you need. Also if you want you can recompile the base system optimized for your machine.

The installer will try to configure your hardware too....
Back to top
Guest






PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
i get to "running anaconda" and i see the text which says that it my video card (geforce 3) cannot be probed
i then see the monitor and mouse being probed
after that i sit at a black screen with no HD or CD activity


To install with nvidia cards, you have to start the installer without frame buffer mode. To do this just type nofb at the initial boot prompt
Back to top
Guest






PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMXO wrote:
didnt work on my Dell c800. it probed my ATI rage128 mobility card correctly but said unable to probe monite & it said it started X then screen went blank


I don't had test the installer with an ATI Rage128 but you can try the installation without Frame buffer mode. Type nofb at the initial boot prompt

Thanks
Víctor Prada
Back to top
Guest






PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i try the nofb install i get this message....there is some information above what was left on my screen but it was video, mouse probing...i did notice that the video was unable to be probed again

attemping to start native x server
attemping to start vga16 x server
waiting for x server to start...log located in /tmp/x.log
1...2...3...4...5...x server started successfully
traceback (innermost last):
file "/usr/bin/ananconda", line 477, in ?
from splashscreen import splashscreenshow
file "/usr/lib/ananconda/splashscreen.py", line 21, in ?
from gtk import *
file "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gtk.py", line 29, in ?
_gtk.gtk_init ()
runtime error: cannot open display
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...done

it then disbales swap space, unmounts, and tells me to reboot
Back to top
markdrago
n00b
n00b


Joined: 23 Jul 2002
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fghellar wrote:
mksoft wrote:
Can you post the modified anaconda sources there as well :?: I thought about doing something similar, maybe we can pool resources :?:

Anaconda is licensed under the GPL, so the modified sources must be made available together with the binaries...


Technically, the sources do not have to be made available <b>together</b> with the binaries as long as they are made available somewhere, even if that is only through mail-order. :o)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest






PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooops...

i will have to make a test with this.... i think that the problem there is that the splash image (the first logo that appears before start the instalation) is a 16 bits image. If the server starts as vga16 the image will not appear.... i can try to make an installer with 8 bits images...

I didn'd test the text mode but i think that there is a problem with it... may be you can give a last try???

sorry for any inconvinience :oops:

Thanks
Victor Prada

Anonymous wrote:
when i try the nofb install i get this message....there is some information above what was left on my screen but it was video, mouse probing...i did notice that the video was unable to be probed again

attemping to start native x server
attemping to start vga16 x server
waiting for x server to start...log located in /tmp/x.log
1...2...3...4...5...x server started successfully
traceback (innermost last):
file "/usr/bin/ananconda", line 477, in ?
from splashscreen import splashscreenshow
file "/usr/lib/ananconda/splashscreen.py", line 21, in ?
from gtk import *
file "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gtk.py", line 29, in ?
_gtk.gtk_init ()
runtime error: cannot open display
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...done

it then disbales swap space, unmounts, and tells me to reboot
Back to top
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Apr 2002
Posts: 856
Location: Porto Alegre, BR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markdrago wrote:
Technically, the sources do not have to be made available <b>together</b> with the binaries as long as they are made available somewhere, even if that is only through mail-order. :o)

Yes, it does. Section 3 of the GPL states this, and several questions of the GPL FAQ, esp. the section "Distribution of programs released under the GPL" also make it clearer.
But, if Anaconda is written in Python, I guess the source code is already included... ;)
_________________
| www.gentoo.org | www.tldp.org | www.google.com |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest






PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fghellar wrote:
markdrago wrote:
Technically, the sources do not have to be made available <b>together</b> with the binaries as long as they are made available somewhere, even if that is only through mail-order. :o)

Yes, it does. Section 3 of the GPL states this, and several questions of the GPL FAQ, esp. the section "Distribution of programs released under the GPL" also make it clearer.
But, if Anaconda is written in Python, I guess the source code is already included... ;)


i don't understant all this discussion... the modified anaconda sources will be available at the Gentoo's CVS tree as soon as i have enough bandwidth to upload it. Why the rush :?: :?:
Back to top
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Apr 2002
Posts: 856
Location: Porto Alegre, BR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
i don't understant all this discussion... the modified anaconda sources will be available at the Gentoo's CVS tree as soon as i have enough bandwidth to upload it. Why the rush :?: :?:

Don't worry about it, was just a side note when mksoft asked for the sources... No offense meant... :wink: I just happened to be researching about the GPL and GPL-like licenses a few days ago, and I remembered this point. :roll:
Keep up with the good work and don't pay attention to my divagations... ;)
_________________
| www.gentoo.org | www.tldp.org | www.google.com |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DFB
n00b
n00b


Joined: 25 Jun 2002
Posts: 19
Location: Kingston, Ontario

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to nit pick, but you dont have to include source of GPL software, all you have to do is make it available upon request.

Quote:

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

* a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

* b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

* c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)


Only (a) covers including the source itself. (b) directly deals with including an offer to provide source should it be requested via any reasonable medium for software distribution.

Since the author has stated he intends to provide source, the arguement isn't worth much though.


Thanks for the installer, I intend to try it out at work and see how well things run.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 10 Apr 2002
Posts: 856
Location: Porto Alegre, BR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the FAQ says:
Quote:
The GPL says you must offer access to copy the source code "from the same place"; that is, next to the binaries.

But this is getting way too off-topic...
_________________
| www.gentoo.org | www.tldp.org | www.google.com |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DFB
n00b
n00b


Joined: 25 Jun 2002
Posts: 19
Location: Kingston, Ontario

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drive this post even more OT....

From the same FAQ:

Quote:

However, if you make arrangements with another site to keep the necessary source code available, and put a link or cross-reference to the source code next to the binaries, we think that qualifies as "from the same place".


Personally as a programmer I tend to avoid the GPL. If the people explaining how the GPL works can only give "we think......" obviously it isn't the best license to use since even people explaining it don't understand it completely, meaning that the way I interpret the GPL may not be the exact same way others interpret the GPL.


I will shut up now as (1) this has nothing to do with the wonderful installer this thread is about, and (2) picking fights with moderators isn't the best way to make yourself welcome. :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rommel
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 19 Apr 2002
Posts: 1145
Location: Williamsburg Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if everything was only given to one interpretation there would be alot less lawyers in the world and probably only one religion....i hope your a better programmer then philosopher...lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DFB
n00b
n00b


Joined: 25 Jun 2002
Posts: 19
Location: Kingston, Ontario

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't help myself. :D

Sure many things can have many interpretations, but the whole point of using a license is to avoid confusion and prevent abuses made possible through different interpreations. As a developer, you choose a certain license to ensure that your program is used the way you want it used. Using a license that could result in someone using the program in a way which is not intended or wanted is definitely not how things should be.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the GPL. The system of software development it is trying to maintain is very interesting and promising. I am just weary of licenses which aren't 100% clear on what they require.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum