VIA 8237 SATA Raid Install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westboy21
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: VIA 8237 SATA Raid Install Reply with quote

I just purchased a new MSI K7 Delta with the via kt600 chipset. Is there a way to install gentoo onto this computer, if I already have windows xp on a 10 gig partition. I'm familiar with setting up dual boots, and I can get redhat 7.2 installed because VIA released a driver for redhat 7.2. That's like releasing a driver for windows 95 however, and I can't find any other drivers for the sata raid 8237 southbridge chipset.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this work? I'm open to any suggestion.

Thanks
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: RAID Reply with quote

Do you know which brand your RAID controller is? Out of curiosity, I checked with MSI's website. I could not find your MoBo but I suspect it's made by PROMISE. If it's a PDC202xx you should be able to get it working, with the PDC203xx I'm not sure.

Andre.
devildog-88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Biostar sff IDEQ200V which also has sata raid provided by the vt8237 southbridge. Supposedly the 2.4.21, and later, kernel has support for sata though I have not had any luck yet, though I have not really tried too hard either.

Reading the documentation provided by VIA it seems that you should be able to figure out the proper driver to load from the disk then look for that driver module during the install and load it. The hard drive should show up as a scsi drive.

The controller is not made by Promise.
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VIA 8237 SATA Raid Install Reply with quote

westboy21 wrote:
I just purchased a new MSI K7 Delta with the via kt600 chipset. Is there a way to install gentoo onto this computer, if I already have windows xp on a 10 gig partition. I'm familiar with setting up dual boots, and I can get redhat 7.2 installed because VIA released a driver for redhat 7.2. That's like releasing a driver for windows 95 however, and I can't find any other drivers for the sata raid 8237 southbridge chipset.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this work? I'm open to any suggestion.

Thanks
How far did you get with the latest LiveCD?
devildog-88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a kernel patch available here;
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/

I haven't tried it yet but from the documentation it looks like it supports the VIA SATA.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what I found in ac-sources (2.4.22-ac4) :D
Code:
SCSI support  --->
SCSI low-level drivers  --->
[*] SATA support (NEW)
< >   Intel PIIX/ICH support
<*>   VIA SATA support
westboy21
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Actual Install Reply with quote

Okay, you guys have given me some stuff to go by. Here are my answers to some of your questions. I kinda gave up on the effort for a while, but I appreciate the input as I will try again.

I tried the latest live cd, and couldn't get any further than setting up the partitions. Correct me if I'm wrong but the kernel running the setup has to be patched with the VIA SATA patch? This is a fresh install with windows already on one partition.

VIA does make the RAID controller by the way. I guess I'm just looking for more step by step instructions on how to begin. How do I patch the kernel on the live cd? Am I making any sense?
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda in the same boat as westboy21, so if you don't mind, I'll just spill it in this thread... :wink:
I'm using the same chipset (VT8237) on a EPoX 8KRA2I motherboard. Right now I'm writing this from a Windowsinstallation of the system and I am not happy!

I use a WD Raptor SATA for main OS disk and a IBM/Hitachi 120 PATA for all the other stuff. Now, I managed to install Gentoo onto my IBM disk since the LiveCD doesnt support SATA-controllers, and from there I was going to bootstrap my SATA-disk using a kernel that supported SATA. The problem was that I couldn't even boot into the first installation with SATA-support (2.4.22-ac4). It just stands there after detecting the controller and the disk and does nothing. I just really don't want to run Windows as my primary OS...

Are there any other kernels that has better support for the VIA SATA-controllers? I've heard of the 2.6.0-series of course, but couldn't find it in my beta-kernel of choice; the mm-sources.

Please help? :?
ARC2300
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, but do the wolk-sources support the KT600 SB chip??

I have no idea where to look to find that info, and I'd like to upgrade to the Abit version of that motherboard and finally use my PC3200 to it's fullest.

TIA.
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of searching and found that VIA has some sort of driver for the SATA controller in the VT8237 southbridge. It can be found here:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=297#VT8237

The only thing is that it is for Red Hat 7.2 and I am not really sure if one can make use of this in a general way (other than for RH, that is).

There's an IMG-file in the tarball. I'm gonna take a look at it, see if I can extract something out of it. Gurus, feel free to jump in at any time now for expert advice... :wink:
Elm0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if everyone is talking about a SATA RAID setup here or not but...

I have the KT600 chipstet and one SATA HD working great here with Gentoo. Unfortuanately, you can't do it from the LiveCD without either hacking the kernel (I tried and failed, it is doable though, you'll need the ac kernel souces mentioned above), so basically you need a linux install from a PATA disk which has a gentoo install that supports the SATA controller and then bootstrap a gentoo install onto the SATA disk.

The driver mentioned above will not work; god knows why VIA released a RAID driver for Redhat 7.2; like someone who just bought a cutting edge mobo and SATA HDs would run a distro that old.

This is what I did because I just plugged in my ancient PATA disk booted from that and Kernel 2.6-test5 (and later) seemed to succesfully identify the SATA controller as:

Code:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VIA8237SATA: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:0f.0
PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 0000:00:0f.0
IRQ routing conflict for 0000:00:0f.0, have irq 9, want irq 3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 3 with 0000:00:0f.1
IRQ routing conflict for 0000:00:10.0, have irq 9, want irq 3
IRQ routing conflict for 0000:00:10.1, have irq 9, want irq 3
VIA8237SATA: chipset revision 128
VIA8237SATA: 100% native mode on irq 9
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xa800-0xa807, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xa808-0xa80f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hde: Maxtor 6Y120M0, ATA DISK drive

Even tho it says its in pio mode (dead slow) by the time I've got to the login prompt DMA and Ultra ATA seems to have been enabled giving me hdparm results of:

Code:

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   792 MB in  2.00 seconds = 395.86 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  170 MB in  3.01 seconds =  56.56 MB/sec

So pretty damn quick.

Luckily someone is hacking away at a completely new super-fast whiz-bang kernel system for ATA called libata. This is based on the SCSI subsystem which is much better written apparently and will support hot swapping and full SATA bandwidth + the RAID functions of the VIA chipset.

So the trick is, get a 2.6 kernel version of gentoo running on a PATA HD then bootstrap a new 2.6 kernel gentoo onto the SATA disk...

Good luck :D
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! You fill my heart with warmth my friend! I must ask one thing though. I have done what you described. That is, booting from a PATA drive and bootstrapped using the ac-sources. But like I said it never gets past detecting the disk. It just stands there saying something about an abnormal state of the disk, I don't remember reallyt. Now, I diid search the 2.6-kernel for SATA support, but couldn't find the option in menuconfig. So where is it located?

Anyways, I feel a lot better nuw, knowing that Gentoo will (hopefully) rule my system once more! :D
Elm0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using mm-sources (emerge mm-sources) not sure if that has any bearing, currently using test7-mm1.

Make sure you have under IDE/ATA support section the VIA82CXX Support option enabled. I've got SCSI completely disabled on my PC, shouldn't need it now you can burn directly to ATAPI devices without SCSI emulation.

There are currently no specific SATA options in the kernel.
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as I suspected...! :D
Well, mm-sources is my kinda flavor, so this time let's hope for some more luck!

Thanks again! :wink:
suhlhorn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: i865/ICH5 SATA install Reply with quote

Hi there-

Got a new machine w/ i865 board and SATA HD, and I'm trying to get gentoo on it. I noticed that SATA support is in kernel 2.4.21 and later if the BIOS is in legacy mode (no problem for me). I'm trying to avoid doing a 2.6 install on a PATA drive and bootstapping from there. I'd like to run gentoo-sources (v2.4.20), but it looks like I'll have to go with ac-sources (v2.4.21) for my SATA drive. SO...

1) Can I do a knoppix install and bootstrap from there? Knoppix v3.3 is now running kernel 2.4.22.

2) How much trickeration will I need to do to get mm-sources running if I need to, i.e.- how stable is it? The gentoo docs hint that it is rather unstable.

FYI- I am not a kernel hacker; just another user.
Thanks for any advice you can give!
-stephen

UPDATE: Just booted the machine successfully with the Knoppix CD and everything is detected and working. I can even mount my pre-installed winXP partition on my SATA drive.

I will start the install w/ ac-sources and post an update for those who may be in a similar situation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: