View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: KDE 3.2 now in portage Reply with quote

I've committed alpha1 ebuilds for arts, kdelibs, and kdebase. The rest of the set of packages will be forthcoming soon.

Please start testing these ebuilds. KDE 3.2 requires Qt 3.2. All of these packages are masked in portage.

Right now it looks like there may be some compile problems in migrating from Qt 3.1 -> Qt 3.2; the easiest solution is to move the existing qt 3.1 directory out of the way before you start the 3.2 build.

As always, please report your bug findings to the bug database.

Thanks!
Caleb
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* it's gonna be a busy weekend :wink:
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great.. thanks :)
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Will give it a try. :D
Paulten
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a try to.
But
[blocks B ] <kde-base/kde[blocks B ] <kde-base/kdelibs-3.2 (from pkg x11-libs/qt-3.2.1)libs-3.2 (from pkg x11-libs/qt-3.2.1)

Nothing about it in packages.masked. grr.
Strubie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!
I'll save you some of my fried-eggs-on-the-powerbook special :D
Many thanks, caleb.
Strubie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulten:
There's a !<kde-base/kdelibs-3.2 (or something like that)
line in the qt-3.2.1 ebuild. Deleting it solved the problem for me.
Or you could unmerge your old kde, too...
Minos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Just as I was wondering what to do next with my freshly installed ~x86 box :D
MasterX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE 3.2 now in portage Reply with quote

caleb wrote:
I've committed alpha1 ebuilds for arts, kdelibs, and kdebase. The rest of the set of packages will be forthcoming soon.

Please start testing these ebuilds. KDE 3.2 requires Qt 3.2. All of these packages are masked in portage.

Right now it looks like there may be some compile problems in migrating from Qt 3.1 -> Qt 3.2; the easiest solution is to move the existing qt 3.1 directory out of the way before you start the 3.2 build.

As always, please report your bug findings to the bug database.

Thanks!
Caleb

I do not understand why should there be a problem with Qt. Did you try to upgrade Qt first and then install KDE 3.2?
When you say to move Qt 3.1 do you mean to unistall it?
Final question: When I installed KDE 3.1.3 it created the folder /usr/kde/3.1, now KDE 3.2 will be written in folder /usr/kde/3.2 or in /usr/kde/3.1? If it is the first choice, will the folder /usr/kde/3.1 be deleted?

I would really love to install KDE 3.2 (I am so curious) but since I am working on Linux/KDE I can not afford to spend time on fixing problems or evern reinstalling an old version of KDE.
However, thanks for providing these files :!:
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE 3.2 now in portage Reply with quote

MasterX wrote:

I do not understand why should there be a problem with Qt. Did you try to upgrade Qt first and then install KDE 3.2?
When you say to move Qt 3.1 do you mean to unistall it?
Final question: When I installed KDE 3.1.3 it created the folder /usr/kde/3.1, now KDE 3.2 will be written in folder /usr/kde/3.2 or in /usr/kde/3.1? If it is the first choice, will the folder /usr/kde/3.1 be deleted?

The main problem is that the Qt 3.2 compilation/installation still (somehow) might find the older Qt 3.1 libraries during its build phase and will attempt to link against it verses itself. This can cause problems during the installation. You can browse the Qt bugs on bugzilla to see what I'm talking about. if it compiles find for you, then it won't be a problem.

KDE 3.2 will be installed to /usr/kde/3.2 and it will not uninstall /usr/kde/3.1. However, as these ebuilds are still a bit rough, I won't make any guarantees that something won't go wrong during this process.
MasterX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE 3.2 now in portage Reply with quote

caleb wrote:

KDE 3.2 will be installed to /usr/kde/3.2 and it will not uninstall /usr/kde/3.1. However, as these ebuilds are still a bit rough, I won't make any guarantees that something won't go wrong during this process.

So, when KDE 3.2 is actually released and we try to install it with the ebuilds we will end up having two versions of KDE.
Therefore, before we install KDE 3.2 we should unistall KDE 3.1 and deal with all the consequences of this action :)
fourwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE 3.2 now in portage Reply with quote

MasterX wrote:
caleb wrote:

So, when KDE 3.2 is actually released and we try to install it with the ebuilds we will end up having two versions of KDE.
Therefore, before we install KDE 3.2 we should unistall KDE 3.1 and deal with all the consequences of this action :)

I think you can leave KDE 3.1 installed when you emerge 3.2, since they install in separate locations. You would just get kde-3.2 in your XSessions, in addition to your kde-3.1.x. To run KDE 3.2 you'd just have to pick the right X session, and uninstall 3.1.x when you are sure 3.2 works for you.

Again, this is just how I think it works. If I'm wrong.... that'd be cool to know.
lucida
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built qt 3.2.[0|1] several times(to test some patches) and, I'm pretty sure that you need qt 3.1 to make the 3.2 build process going smoothly. In fact, the qt library(libqt-mt.so) itself doesn't require the old qt copy, but some utilities would still need it, which is rather stupid. Anyway, you may try to remove the old qt version by do a mv(instead of rm -rf!), copy /var/tmp/portage/qt-x11-xfree-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-xfree-3.2.1/lib/libqt*(this is NOT the exact path, just for instance) to /usr/qt/3/lib, ldconfig and go on when the emerge stops.

Also, the recent kde cvs need qt-copy instead of standard qt to build correctly, since the latter lacks of "libqt-mt.la". I don't know the status of alpha1.

btw, since qt 3.2.1 does't compatible with kde 3.1.x, I don't think the 2 kde copies can live together in a same system.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucida wrote:

btw, since qt 3.2.1 does't compatible with kde 3.1.x, I don't think the 2 kde copies can live together in a same system.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it is.
Strubie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No compatibility problems here, I now have 3.1.3 (built with qt-3.1 at the time) and 3.2-alpha side-by-side, over qt-3.2.1. And all the kde-3.1.3 apps I've tried load perfectly well under 3.2. Pretty funny to see konqueror-3.1.3 using the 3.2 widgets...

And building qt-3.2.1 went quite smoothly after I had unmerged qt-3.1. I guess the problem would be building a new kde-3.1 with those.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucida wrote:
I've built qt 3.2.[0|1] several times(to test some patches) and, I'm pretty sure that you need qt 3.1 to make the 3.2 build process going smoothly. In fact, the qt library(libqt-mt.so) itself doesn't require the old qt copy, but some utilities would still need it, which is rather stupid.

Then this is a bug with the ebuilds and should be reported to the ebuild maintainer.

I don't use ebuilds for Qt and can build 3.2 without any other Qt installed quite fine.
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: emerging qt-3.2.1 fails Reply with quote

I unemerged old qt and emerged this - it failed.

Code:

make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/tools/designer/uilib'
cd designer && make -f Makefile
make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/tools/designer/designer'
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/bin/uic -L /var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/plugins listboxeditor.ui -o listboxeditor.h
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/bin/uic -L /var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/plugins editfunctions.ui -o editfunctions.h
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/bin/uic: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [listboxeditor.h] Error 127
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/bin/uic: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [editfunctions.h] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/tools/designer/designer'
make[2]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/tools/designer'
make[1]: *** [sub-designer] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/qt-3.2.1/work/qt-x11-free-3.2.1/tools'
make: *** [sub-tools] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/qt-3.2.1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 106, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

Even without unemerging old qt it was failing .. i lost the error message for that.
Minos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did to emerge qt-3.2.1 on a system with no qt:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28667
Admiral LSD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for bumping this but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I emerged the KDE 3.2 alphas over the last couple of days by unmerging Qt 3.1, kdelibs 3.1.3 and kde baase 3.1.3 before remerging Qt 3.2, arts 1.2, kdelibs 3.2 and finally kdebase 3.2. This has all appeared to go without a hitch except when I emerge sync && emerge -uDP world I'm told that I need to reinstall arts 1.1.4, kdelibs 3.1.4 and kdebase 3.1.4 (or 3.1.3 yesterday). Is there a way around this?

edit: n/m on this, I've just realised the redhat-artwork package doesn't like KDE 3.2.0 and so am going to accpet Portages recommendation of dropping back down to 3.1.4 as soon as I get an oppurtunity.

Registered Linux user #319839
tekM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: n00b question Reply with quote

I wanted to take a look at this on my test machine. How exactly do you emerge masked packages? I basically need to know exactly what to type to get these KDE 3.2 alpha ebuilds merged.

thx :)
TheWart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: n00b question Reply with quote

tekM wrote:
I wanted to take a look at this on my test machine. How exactly do you emerge masked packages? I basically need to know exactly what to type to get these KDE 3.2 alpha ebuilds merged.

thx :)

Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge pathtokde3.2.ebuild

Hope that helps.

On the box it said it was designed for Win XP or better, so why won't it work with Linux?
Edgaer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....like are the ebuilds slowly trickiling in? I mean will I eventually find ebuilds for all of the kde packages for the 3.2 alpha including the wrapper kde ebuild that snags them all? And more importantly will this happen before beta1? :wink:
tekM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: KDE 3.2 Reply with quote

what is "pathtokde3.2" ? Do I need to first download them seperately from a source other than portage?
TheWart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: KDE 3.2 Reply with quote

tekM wrote:

what is "pathtokde3.2" ? Do I need to first download them seperately from a source other than portage?

I am sorry I was not clearer.

I meant that you need to be in the kde folder (/usr/portage/kde-base/kdebase/)
Then type 'emerge -p kdebase-3.2.-alpha1.ebuild'

Basically, if you specify the exact ebuild to portage, it will unmask it.

HOWEVER, I found out myself that this is not the case with KDE, because it is 'hard' masked.

I got around it by manually going into the folder and emerging the latest of the following programs:

arts-1.2alpha
kde-env
kde-libs
kdebase

On the box it said it was designed for Win XP or better, so why won't it work with Linux?
Nebvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: really bad ebuilds Reply with quote

I threw together some ebuilds, they are just a mashing of the 3.1.3 and cvs ebuilds for most of kde, kdevelop, and quanta. You can grab them at http://nebvin.ca/files/kde-3.2.0_alpha1.tar.bz2. if you have any problems with them I can try and fix them, but I'm no expert.

Have fun!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: