Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The F? Virtual Window Manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 65, 66, 67  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoundChaser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBlackDragon wrote:
Maybe a dumb question or so, but most programs provide some kind "geometry"-option, but is it also possible to also set a location/geometry for those that don't provide this?

I've asked a similar question before when using other window managers: is there any way to restrict the area that applications can place themselves within? IE, if you place a tool bar on your screen, is there a way to tell X (or a window manager, for that matter) to not place windows where the toolbar is located.

I have seen some individual applets do this (ie, I think some dockapps support this), and I've seen some window managers do this with their dock/slit. But, I've yet to find a way to do this generically across wm's / apps.

// SoundChaser
Roptaty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taviso wrote:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~taviso/shape_masking.png :D:D

Wow. This is impressive. One question. Is it possible to apply this to get rounded corners on windows, or does that require you to know the geometry of the window?
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundChaser wrote:
I've asked a similar question before when using other window managers: is there any way to restrict the area that applications can place themselves within? IE, if you place a tool bar on your screen, is there a way to tell X (or a window manager, for that matter) to not place windows where the toolbar is located.

I have seen some individual applets do this (ie, I think some dockapps support this), and I've seen some window managers do this with their dock/slit. But, I've yet to find a way to do this generically across wm's / apps.

// SoundChaser

Well, you just found it :) look up EwmhBaseStruts setting, i use this to make sure my launcher and taskbar are not obscured by new windows or maximised windows. you might also be interested in some of the more obscure Placement policies, such as
MinOverlapPlacement
and MinOverlapPercentPlacement, which also allow you to specify penalties to some types of windows, so when some overlap needs to occur, these windows are less likely to be covered.
OZzl wrote:
Wow. This is impressive. One question. Is it possible to apply this to get rounded corners on windows, or does that require you to know the geometry of the window?

I think this is on the todo list, but titlebars dont honour the shape mask at the moment.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taviso wrote:

I think this is on the todo list, but titlebars dont honour the shape mask at the moment.

I have been wondering where the fvwm to do list is....Is there a place? And what is shape mask and what does it apply to. I believe I have it in but dont know what it does.

Thanks
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
I have been wondering where the fvwm to do list is....Is there a place?

Yep, it's in the docs directory of the source distribution, there is a todo-2.6 and a todo-3.0 :)
Quote:
And what is shape mask and what does it apply to. I believe I have it in but dont know what it does.

you can see me making a quick demo one in the screenshot above, basically just a cut-out of what you want the window to be shaped like :)
SoundChaser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Sylpheed? Reply with quote

taviso wrote:
Well, you just found it :) look up EwmhBaseStruts setting, i use this to make sure my launcher and taskbar are not obscured by new windows or maximised windows. you might also be interested in some of the more obscure Placement policies, such as
MinOverlapPlacement
and MinOverlapPercentPlacement, which also allow you to specify penalties to some types of windows, so when some overlap needs to occur, these windows are less likely to be covered.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind as I work on things...

However, I've now run into something really bizarre. When I am using FVWM, Sylpheed cannot get to any mailboxes. I'm pretty certain that this has something to do with FVWM, although I cannot imagine what right off. I say this because I haven't had this problem under fluxbox, pekwm, or xfce. I have tried three different configs with fvwm: yours, the osx theme / config from fvwm-themes, and a "stock" one created the first time I ran fvwm.

Anyone with any thoughts?

Also -- I'm having mouse problems. I can pull up the root menu, launch an app, click on title bar buttons -- but that's it. Can't do anything in the application(s), even clicking a link in Firefox. Other themes / configurations worked fine.... (I remember someone else having this same problem...I'm going to go back looking for the relevant messages...)

Addition: found the message. The person in question went to a very minimal .fvwm2rc file and the problem went away. So, now I'm curious as to what could be in taviso's config that causes my system to flip-out like this...:)

Psuedo-Solution: Mouse gestures were causing the problem. I commented them out, and that seems to have resolved the problem.

Still looking for insight into Sylpheed -- or maybe even just the right questions...:)

// SoundChaser

Last edited by SoundChaser on Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:56 am; edited 2 times in total
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sylpheed? Reply with quote

SoundChaser wrote:
taviso wrote:
MinOverlapPlacement

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind as I work on things...

However, I've now run into something really bizarre. When I am using FVWM, Sylpheed cannot get to any mailboxes. I'm pretty certain that this has something to do with FVWM, although I cannot imagine what right off. I say this because I haven't had this problem under fluxbox, pekwm, or xfce. I have tried three different configs with fvwm: yours, the osx theme / config from fvwm-themes, and a "stock" one created the first time I ran fvwm.

Anyone with any thoughts?

Also -- I'm having mouse problems. I can pull up the root menu, launch an app, click on title bar buttons -- but that's it. Can't do anything in the application(s), even clicking a link in Firefox. Other themes / configurations worked fine.... (I remember someone else having this same problem...I'm going to go back looking for the relevant messages...)

// SoundChaser

just to clarify...since it really doesn't sound like something fvwm'd do...after you encountered the problem you tried in flux or some other wm and it worked?
SoundChaser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sylpheed? Reply with quote

christsong84 wrote:
just to clarify...since it really doesn't sound like something fvwm'd do...after you encountered the problem you tried in flux or some other wm and it worked?

Yup - I just went back to pekwm and everything works hunky-dory.

And, just to clarify a bit further -- I'm launching both fvwm and pekwm from my .xinitrc -- no session manager. I just comment / uncomment the wm I want to start. No special options being passed to either of them.

Weird, eh?

Additon: hrm -- maybe it's time to get on the fvwm mailing list, and searching the archives a bit...
SoundChaser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sylpheed? Reply with quote

christsong84 wrote:

SoundChaser wrote:
Additon: hrm -- maybe it's time to get on the fvwm mailing list, and searching the archives a bit...

DOH!!! The mailing list did point out the problem... One Hundred Percent PEBKAC error...

I have two versions of Sylpheed: standard and claws. I was calling the wrong one.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sylpheed? Reply with quote

SoundChaser wrote:
christsong84 wrote:

SoundChaser wrote:

DOH!!! The mailing list did point out the problem... One Hundred Percent PEBKAC error...

I have two versions of Sylpheed: standard and claws. I was calling the wrong one.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

hehe...we've all done it...no worries. Glad it's working again though. :D
SoundChaser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Sorry to say... Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I just ran into my last "make or break" for switching to fvwm, and it has turned out to be more difficult to break through than the wall of a mint.

Basically the trouble is this: tab handling is only a kludge, and doesn't just have a long way to go, it basically needs to be re-invented from the ground up. The current fvwmtabs system, while it does work, isn't usable. (No wonder someone said to me earlier that they didn't think it was a feature they needed...if they based their judgement on fvwmtabs, I would agree...)

Hopefully in the future (I haven't looked at the todo list, but I can hope...<g>) the fvwm developers will see that the concept of frames and window grouping is something that needs to be implemented in the core of the window manager. Until then, I guess I'm back to my old set up.

Thank you all for your time and assistance in helping me get things running with fvwm. The experience has given me some insights into how I configure and implement things on my system, which I will carry with me as I work on perfecting my environment. Thank you again.

// SoundChaser
linuxfood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Gaim and fvwm-crystal Reply with quote

I know that if I spent more time looking into this I could figure out how it works but, as it is, I don't really have the time. However it is something I would like to solve, has anyone worked out how to get fvwm-crystal to swallow the gaim panel icon? I've tried several things such as peksystray (which for reasons unknown to me refuses to be swallowed, and it's highly probably that I'm just doing something wrong.)
In any event if someone has already figured it out a few pointers or a bit of config for me to look at would be awesome.
BobDylan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: fvwm 2.5.9 Reply with quote

Yipee !!!
fvwm-2.5.9 is out !
Can you bet on how long it will take for our preferred Gentoo developer to release a new ebuild ?
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just emerged it, so I'm guessing it didn't take too long :)
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_ wrote:
I've just emerged it, so I'm guessing it didn't take too long :)

Wants! :D
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derryth wrote:
Wants! :D

Go get! Just emerged myself :lol:

EDIT: As a side note (because I like to make side notes) my gDesklets starterbar is finally working correctly....at least so far. I was having a problem with only the starterbar where it would not show up at first unless I did an fvwm restart. Now when I launch it, the starterbar comes up just perfect...no need to restart. Whew!
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickpea wrote:
Go get! Just emerged myself :lol:

I just did. Me === happy. I just wish I had to time to plan out my menu as now I am starting everything from console.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taviso wrote:
theBlackDragon wrote:
Maybe a dumb question or so, but most programs provide some kind "geometry"-option, but is it also possible to also set a location/geometry for those that don't provide this?

There's a generic solution in the faq you might find interesting: http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/faq/#3.18 :)

I tried the last solution they presented, it does move the window but it get's 'attached' to my log window and doesn't go up al the way (it stays 2pixels from the top of the screen because of the hidden terminal). Did I miss something?

This is my startfunction:

Code:

DestroyFunc StartFunction
AddToFunc StartFunction
 + I Module FvwmPager * *
# + I Module FvwmButtons
 + I Module FvwmEvent
 + I Module FvwmEvent-NewWindow
 + I Exec exec erss -c /usr/share/erss/config/newsforge.cfg

And this is the rest of the config concering that stuff
Code:

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent-NewWindow: *
*FvwmEvent-NewWindow: StartDelay 4
*FvwmEvent-NewWindow: add_window FuncFocusWindow

DestroyFunc FuncFocusWindow
AddToFunc FuncFocusWindow
 + I ThisWindow ("erss - /usr/share/erss/config/newsforge.cfg") Move 657p 0p
 + I Focus
 + I WarpToWindow

Using a function like this gives the same result

Code:

DestroyFunc StartErss
AddToFunc   StartErss
  + I Exec erss -c /usr/share/erss/config/newsforge.cfg
  + I Wait erss -c /usr/share/erss/config/newsforge.cfg
  + I Next (erss -c /usr/share/erss/config/newsforge.cfg) Move 657p 0p

I can't see what's wrong with it...
sekh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, i think i'm hooked too :)

I'm starting with a clean .fvwm2rc file and slowly building it up from scratch. However i've hit an obstacle.

As described earlier i want some of the buttons on my mouse to do window movement and window resizing when i hold them down. I've got the movement thing down, and the resize thing is sort of working too only not the way i want it.

I can easily do something like:
Code:
Mouse 7 W A MyResizeFunc

and then set the function up like this:
Code:
DestroyFunc MyResizeFunc
AddToFunc MyResizeFunc
+ I WarpToWindow 100 100
+ I Resize

Now this will sort of do what i want. However, i wanted it to work so that if i hold down mouse 7 in the upperleft quadrant of the window it'll do a warp like WarpToWindow 0 0 and if i'm in the lowerright it would do a WarpToWindow 100 100 and such.
So depending on which quadrant of the window i've got the mouse in i want it to jump to that corner and resize from there.
Now the way i was going to go about this was using the $[pointer.wx], $[pointer.wy], $[w.width] & $[w.height] things in a piperead to determine where the mouse is and then warp accordingly. So i did something like this (excuse the sloppy code :P):
Code:
DestroyFunc MyResizeFunc
AddToFunc MyResizeFunc
+ I PipeRead "echo -n WarpToWindow; test $[pointer.wx] -le `expr $[w.width]  / 2` && echo -n ' 0' || echo -n ' 100'; \
                                    test $[pointer.wy] -le `expr $[w.height] / 2` && echo ' 0' || echo ' 100'"

Now this should produce the proper WarpToWindow and coordinates command for piperead.
The only problem is that it doesn't get executed until after i RELEASE the mouse button even though i'm using the I for immediately in the function.

Even reducing it to something simple as:
Code:
DestroyFunc MyResizeFunc
AddToFunc MyResizeFunc
+ I PipeRead "echo WarpToWindow 100 100"
will not make the thing warp the cursor to the lower right of the window until AFTER i let go of the button where as the function defined above without the piperead works just fine while i hold the button.

Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong? Have i totally misunderstood how this "I" thing works? or might this be a bug in fvwm??

I hope someone can help me with this :)

Oh and btw, thanks to Taviso & wedge and everyone else who've contributed code and examples to this thread! it's great!
tdphys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: png alpha Reply with quote

So I assume that all the nifty translucent titlebars were done with png pixmaps?
I tried creating a title backround with a nice alpha in gimp, but when fvwm loads up my png, I just get black instead of transparency... I'm using 2.5.9
Do I need to toggle something to have fvwm use the alpha ?
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: png alpha Reply with quote

tdphys wrote:
So I assume that all the nifty translucent titlebars were done with png pixmaps?
I tried creating a title backround with a nice alpha in gimp, but when fvwm loads up my png, I just get black instead of transparency... I'm using 2.5.9

pixmaps? I thought they were just text and a transparent-ish color fill 8O
tdphys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

tdphys wrote:
Quote:

pixmaps? I thought they were just text and a transparent-ish color fill

I assumed that the new alpha support for png's would work on a title bar. I was trying to get a title bar that fades away , using a gradient alpha mask form gimp. It works, but apparently the background of the titlebar is grey, instead of transparent.. so my mask fades to grey instead of the root desktop
So how do I change the titlestyle background to transparent?
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdphys wrote:
Quote:

tdphys wrote:
Quote:

pixmaps? I thought they were just text and a transparent-ish color fill

I assumed that the new alpha support for png's would work on a title bar. I was trying to get a title bar that fades away , using a gradient alpha mask form gimp. It works, but apparently the background of the titlebar is grey, instead of transparent.. so my mask fades to grey instead of the root desktop
So how do I change the titlestyle background to transparent?

I think in the area where you specify this...make where it specifies bg as bg transparent #somecolor 10 (or something like that) and use the pixmap as the foreground one...though this is my guesstimate from sitting here on a win2k box at work :P
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think you want Transparent or RootTransparent in the colorset you're using. Look in
Code:
man FvwmTheme
and search for Transparent.
ratbert90
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded fvwm today and alls I can say is, before I learn how to customize the hell out of this thing, HOW DO I CHANGE THE UGLY PINK BACKGROUND??!!?!

Thank you!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 18 of 67

Jump to: