Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gentoo problem, URGENT
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: gentoo problem, URGENT Reply with quote

hello, my name is karan
I downloaded and installed gentoo, emerge rysnc, bootstrapped, and pretty much did the whole shabang, I couldn't get grub to work, so i did a emerge lilo, and have started to use that. The problem now is, im still booting from the kernel that was loaded with the install cd, im rather new at linux ( i've used it for about 6 months, im 13 years of age ) Im really into it, but I can NEVER really compile a successful kernel of mine, perhaps someone could taech me some stuff about it :roll:

I really want to get gentoo working b4 sunday ( when my vacation finishes ) and was wondering if there is a stock kernel, where i don't have to do anything except type make dep ; make ; make modules etc etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just try it again? If you fail, post your error(s) and we can probably help.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my first install of Gentoo I found that any time I had an unexpected situation or some kind of error that if I went back and read the installation guide more carefully I had either missed a step or had a typing error of some kind. I'd recommend trying again and paying specific attention to being quite sure you have followed the installation guide explicitly. My first go with Gentoo I had little understanding of what the commands I was typing even did, I am confident that you are able to get it going with some very careful reading and a few tries!!!

Good luck, congratulations on finding the best Linux distribution to date!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: gentoo problem, URGENT Reply with quote

karan wrote:
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kernel compiling is a big, nasty necessity of linux. It's like eating your vegetables -- you just have to pinch your nose and do it. The more you do it, the better you'll become at it until you get to a point where compiling a kernel is second nature.

You really should take some time to read the Kernel HOWTO. It will actually teach you how to build a kernel, what the difference between modules vs. compiled in is, etc., etc.

--kurt
karan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: thnx Reply with quote

I've succesfully compiled the kernel once b4, but I can't boot into it, its screws up at the tmpfs place, I don't know hwat this is, or how to get around this =(

Also, I was wondering if you could compile *everything* ( except for the wierd things) as a module, would that work? would that make my kernel slow? I also don't understand when people say, this program is alot more "powerful" than that. Are they trying to say that this program can beat up this program or something along those lines?

Pardon me for my incompetence, i don't particulary understand computer terminology. I am VERY much interested in linux, its proven itself to me as a much better OS than windows. I sooooo badly want to get this working so I don't have to go through the install cd to play around with my linux distro.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: thnx Reply with quote

karan wrote:
I've succesfully compiled the kernel once b4, but I can't boot into it, its screws up at the tmpfs place, I don't know hwat this is, or how to get around this =(

As stated in the Install Guide:
Quote:
You'll also need to enable the "Virtual Memory Filesystem".

karan wrote:
Also, I was wondering if you could compile *everything* ( except for the wierd things) as a module, would that work?

No. If the root filesystem is a module residing on the root filesystem, the kernel won't be able to open it up to find the module. If the IDE controller is a module, it won't be able to get to the disk to get the IDE module. And so on.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: thnx Reply with quote

karan wrote:
I sooooo badly want to get this working so I don't have to go through the install cd to play around with my linux distro.

If you want to get this working, then take the time to read and understand the documentation. I can't stress this enough. Yes, reading docomentation sucks. However, it will get you where you want to go.

There is no quick and easy way to get this all magically working. If you happen to get lucky and get one kernel config that works properly, you'll invariably have to revisit this issue at a later date.

Again, take the time to read the documentation.

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: thnx Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
And take notes. You will be able to refer to your notes more easily than all of the docs you read.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: thnx Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
klieber wrote:
And take notes. You will be able to refer to your notes more easily than all of the docs you read.

Excellent point -- I generally print out a doc that I'm reading and annotate it as I go along for things that I know I'll run into or that pertain to my specific machine.

--kurt
Rain Designs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you read EVERY WORD in the x86 doc. It took me about 10 times of formatting to get gentoo to work :) The reason why I couldn't get grub workin is because I didnt' keep track of the names of my partitions. (ie: swap=/dev/hda2, etc) To make things easy on you, make a boot partition first, then make a swap partition and last make a root partition, do it IN THAT ORDER. It will really help the confusing.

Good luck :D

-Rain

once gentoo runs, it KICKS!

http://www.raindesigns.com
mverrilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: My first couple attempts Reply with quote

This is kinda funny, but my first couple attempts at installing gentoo were ruined by me not paying attention with grub. :p

I did the following (do NOT do this, it's a Bad Thing):

Code:
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0,0)

:oops:
Of course, it should have been setup (hd0)... so I prompty hosed my partition. It took me redoing my installation twice before I figured out what I was doing wrong!

Moral of the story: Read the instructions VERY carefully, it's easy to screw up!
karan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: many thanks Reply with quote

Many thanks to those who helped me out. I have successfully made a working kernel, and everything works fine. The one thing that is weird is that I keep getting errors in runscript.sh or something. Also, I can't open any x-apps as the user karan. I read the documentation very carefully, took notes etc . I came across this problem and it said to do a chmod 1777 /tmp. So I did, but still no success.

Thank you in advance.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My first couple attempts Reply with quote

I almost always install grub on a floppy rather than messing with it on the hard drive's MBR. This way the most I will lose is a floppy :)

Also, use the TAB completion facility in grub. It is really useful in ensuring that you are doing things correctly.

mverrilli wrote:
Code:
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0,0)
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: many thanks Reply with quote

karan wrote:
I keep getting errors in runscript.sh or something.

For this, look here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7165
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting your kernel compiled!!!! Now I can tell all my friends at work that are afraid of linux and compiling a kernel that a 13-year-old did it!!! Let's see how they react to that one, eh? Good work!!! Keep on plugging away at it, sooner than later you will have a really nice Gentoo system that you can truly pride yourself on!! Pride of ownership is a very warm fuzzy feeling!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: