Gentoo users are idiots?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yossarian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Gentoo users are idiots? Reply with quote

Quote:
Official Gentoo-Linux-Zealot translator-o-matic

Gentoo Linux is an interesting new distribution with some great features. Unfortunately, it has attracted a large number of clueless wannabes and leprotards who absolutely
MUST advocate Gentoo at every opportunity. Let's look at the language of these zealots, and find out what it really means...

"Gentoo makes me so much more productive."
"Although I can't use the box at the moment because it's compiling something, as it will be for the next five days, it gives me more time to check out the latest USE flags and
potentially unstable optimisation settings."

"Gentoo is more in the spirit of open source!"
"Apart from Hello World in Pascal at school, I've never written a single program in my life or contributed to an open source project, yet staring at endless streams of GCC
output whizzing by somehow helps me contribute to international freedom."

"I use Gentoo because it's more like the BSDs."
"Last month I tried to install FreeBSD on a well-supported machine, but the text-based installer scared me off. I've never used a BSD, but the guys on Slashdot say that it's l33t
though, so surely I must be for using Gentoo."

"Heh, my system is soooo much faster after installing Gentoo."
"I've spent hours recompiling Fetchmail, X-Chat, gEdit and thousands of other programs which spend 99% of their time waiting for user input. Even though only the kernel and
glibc make a significant difference with optimisations, and RPMs and .debs can be rebuilt with a handful of commands (AND Red Hat supplies i686 kernel and glibc packages),
my box MUST be faster. It's nothing to do with the fact that I've disabled all startup services and I'm running BlackBox instead of GNOME or KDE."

"...my Gentoo Linux workstation..."
"...my overclocked AMD eMachines box from PC World, and apart from the third-grade made-to-break components and dodgy fan..."

"You Red Hat guys must get sick of dependency hell..."
"I'm too stupid to understand that circular dependencies can be resolved by specifying BOTH .rpms together on the command line, and that problems hardly ever occur if one
uses proper Red Hat packages instead of mixing SuSE, Mandrake and Joe's Linux packages together (which the system wasn't designed for)."

"All the other distros are soooo out of date."
"Constantly upgrading to the latest bleeding-edge untested software makes me more productive. Never mind the extensive testing and patching that Debian and Red Hat
perform on their packages; I've just emerged the latest GNOME beta snapshot and compiled with -O9 -fomit-instructions, and it only crashes once every few hours."

"Let's face it, Gentoo is the future."
"OK, so no serious business is going to even consider Gentoo in the near future, and even with proper support and QA in place, it'll still eat up far too much of a company's
valuable time. But this guy I met on #animepr0n is now using it, so it must be growing!"

This was something someone posted on linuxgames.com in response about gentoo removing the winex ebuilds from portage. I have found gentoo to be a nice distro. Why bash it? Maybe it's not for everyone, but I like it. I also know it doesn't take me 5 days to compile stuff.:) Any thoughts?
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any thoughts?

dont feed the trolls
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing is not new - we have all seen it countless times. Perhaps the reason somebody made it up is that on sites like slashdot when there is a story about any distribution there is usually at least one post proclaiming Gentoo is much better etc and some people get a bit bored of the fan boys.
Yossarian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah okay. Sorry everyone has seen it. There was a link from linuxorbit talking about it and I thought it was a new post or somehin.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have quite a few threads about the same :)

Moving to Duplicate threads from Gentoo Chat.

Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: