bare-bones xfree?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: bare-bones xfree? Reply with quote

I have this machine here at home with relatively little disk space, and it won't be used as a graphical terminal or anything. The thing is, I would like it to have the basic X libraries so I can run, let's say, nedit or something on that machine and export the session to a fully X-capable box.

I came from Slack sometime ago, and I vaguely remember it is possible to have only those shared library parts of X on a box that will allow it to talk the protocol, but not display anything on the local screen (ie. without the drivers, actual servers, dri, etc). Is there some gentoo ebuild that can accomplish this as well?

Thanks in advance.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're discussing the need for a similar thing right now and plan to make it happen in the relatively near future as a package called xfree-libs or similar. I realize a full xfree installation is on the order of ~120MB, but that's about your option. You might want to build on a faster box with emerge -B after setting CFLAGS, CHOST etc appropriately for the slow box and then transfer the .tbz2 over (or just use distcc with only a remote host).
Ben2040
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't know much about it but you might be looking for kdrive. In the GWN it says that it is a tiny version of the full xfree.

Ben
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the needed libraries are becoming available on xlibs.freedesktop.org. Some ebuilds are in my overlay at dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/overlay/x11-libs/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: