USE Flags applications dependencies..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: USE Flags applications dependencies.. Reply with quote

I appologize if this has been covered, I have tried a few searches with no luck.

I've installed a few major apps from source for various reasons. One of these are MySQL. In order to stop mysql from being compiled each time I emerge a package requiring it, I now have to have a USE flag of -mysql so it won't try to install it. However, I think that at the same time I'm screwing myself over with that USE flag and the applications are being compiled without mysql support.

Ok, so now onto the question:
How can I force the system to recognize applications that I don't emerge, but are installed from other means? And how can I point the system to the install directory the application lives in?

Thank you.

Cool
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question, emerge inject mysql
Second question, install apps in the default directories or maybe create soft links (not very helpfull, I guess :roll:)
MasterC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

As for the second question...

I am not sure I meant that, that way. What I mean is things like MySQL can be installed basically anywhere, the MySQL docs suggest using /usr/local/mysql but when you install MySQL from the emerge packages it places the binaries in the system bin directory. So basically, I am wondering how I can make the applications that I emerge use the /usr/bin/mysql/bin directory as the directory for mysql binaries, etc.

The symlinks would work, thanks, but I was actually hoping for something like a system file in /etc that I could add:
$MYSQL_BIN=/usr/local/mysql/bin

Or something like that to. MySQL is just my example, but that is really the application I am concerned with at the moment. However, there are others that I would probably like to be able to do that with.

Thanks again.

Cool
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to put mysql binaries in your PATH environment variable.

You can also try to modify ebuilds to pass the correct flags to configure the applications (a bit overkill)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: