system wide path problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: system wide path problem Reply with quote

In the past day I have begun noticing and experiencing problems with path variables while emeging diffrent ebuilds. While emerging evolution-1.0.7, the emerge failed with this error:

Code:
grep: /var/tmp/portage/libglade-0.17-r6/image//usr/lib/libglade-gnome.la: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /var/tmp/portage/libglade-0.17-r6/image//usr/lib/libglade-gnome.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/var/tmp/portage/libglade-0.17-r6/image//usr/lib/libglade-gnome.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[3]: *** [libevolution-importer.la] Error 1

Please notice the double forward slash "//".

I noticed this while watching the screen of a build of openoffice, which did not fail as a whole. However its large enough, that possible small pieces did not compile. After emerging galeon, it complained of not finding the schemas.

Code:
CRITICAL ERROR -- Schema installation is failed.
Most probably you have gconf daemon running as root.

Running galeon-config-tool --install-schemas, produced this error:

Shutting down gconf daemon
Shutdown error: Failed to contact configuration server (a likely cause of this is that you have an existing configuration
server (gconfd) running, but it isn't reachable from here - if you're logged in from two machines at once, you may need to
 enable TCP networking for ORBit)

Installing schemas
No such file `/var/tmp/portage/gconf-1.0.8-r3/image//usr/lib/GConf/1/libgconfbackend-xml.so'

Failed to access configuration source(s): Failed:
 Couldn't locate backend module for `xml::/var/tmp/portage/gconf-1.0.8-r3/image//etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults'

Again notice the double forward slash "//". I have checked and verified that the requested files are not missing, whether they are in the /usr or /etc dir that is. I have tried unmerging both galeon and evolution a couple of times each results in the same errors. I tried remerging libglade, libtools, and portage. I have tried a emerge rsync followed by, a emege -p -u system/world. No files needed updating,

I rebuilt my system only three days ago starting from the stage3 gentoo1.1a. I was experiencing this same problem almost a week ago now and then I killed my system by unmerging gcc and portage. Prior to me killing my system, I had just finished loading openofice, merging the gcc-3.0.4 and loading vmware. I don't remember at what point the "//" slash thing started to appear. Ya I know, stupid newbie. Anyhow, I am done RTFM and need some help.

Thanks
terryclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized my first message was a bit unreadable...added some html to it.

I found a message from trythil was having a problem with the db builds https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5846, it seems to be a similar problem. The code trythil included had "//" in several diffrent lines, causing the emerge to fail. I remember now that the problem started after the emerge of gnome, which is dependent upon a couple of diffrent versions of db. I am going to start a thread in the bug forum as soon as I am done moving. Its PCS time....

T

EDIT: Changed [html] tags to [url] tags.
- kanuslupus

dubiousoul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have there been any updates on this?

I've just emerged a new system over the past few days, and came around to get galeon. I get the same exact error. I looked on bugzilla for anything that may have been posted, but didn't have any luck. Leads? Suggestions?

--Dylan.
dubiousoul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say that I found a work-around for the case of galeon.
What I did was:
Code:
# cd /var/tmp/portage/gconf-1.0.8-r3/
# ln -sf / image

It's certainly not a fix, but it did the trick. Maybe someone else will need it.

--Dylan.
terryclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting the same problem with the double slashes? I recently moved and have not had time to get back to my gentoo system. I believe that the problem begins around the time the db ebuilds are processed when doing the gnome emerge. What exactly were you getting for errors? Sorry I don't have any help at this time. Though I am going to try and get back to building the gentoo again...

terry
dubiousoul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: system wide path problem Reply with quote

Terryclough,

As I said in my previous message, I get exactly the same message when emerging galeon after I've emerged gnome2. To be more specific, I've copied the part of your initial message that's relevant. The error I got was the same, line for line.
terryclough wrote:
...emerging galeon, it complained of not finding the schemas.

Code:
CRITICAL ERROR -- Schema installation is failed.
Most probably you have gconf daemon running as root.

Running galeon-config-tool --install-schemas, produced this error:

Shutting down gconf daemon
Shutdown error: Failed to contact configuration server (a likely cause of this is that you have an existing configuration
server (gconfd) running, but it isn't reachable from here - if you're logged in from two machines at once, you may need to
 enable TCP networking for ORBit)

Installing schemas
No such file `/var/tmp/portage/gconf-1.0.8-r3/image//usr/lib/GConf/1/libgconfbackend-xml.so'

Failed to access configuration source(s): Failed:
 Couldn't locate backend module for `xml::/var/tmp/portage/gconf-1.0.8-r3/image//etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults'

As I said above, there's a fix around this, fooling the computer to look at / for image, for which I posted the code (a few messages ago). On top of that.. I've noticed that when I go into gnome2 I get a slew of pop-up windows that give me errors in gnome-session gnome-panel gnome-settings-daemon and Nautilus. When I ask for details I get the same exact errors as quoted in this post, which I've not been able to find a workaround for. Very annoying.

From here I think that gnome2 must be broken. I've followed all of the hints given in that post without luck. I went so far as to comment out my USE="", unmerge all of gnome2, then remerge all of gnome2.. but none of this helps. I don't want to ditch gnome, perhaps I'll have to download the packages from gnome.org, all of them, and entirely forget emerge-ing it. I'm shocked to think that more people haven't come across this. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong??

--Dylan.
dubiousoul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to note here that I took drastic measures to get gnome up and running as I needed it. I have no idea if this fixed the path problem, and would be willing to bet it didn't. However, I'm putting an update on this topic because I had referenced the other before. Go to this post if you care to read about my gnome-update.

--Dylan.
Old Gentooman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm shocked to think that more people haven't come across this. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong??

--Dylan.

Or perhaps they're like me, without a clue to resolve this issue but watching with great interest your progress. I believe it all started for me after I upgraded to Gnome 2.4. Thank you for the suggested:
Code:
# cd /var/tmp/portage/gconf-1.0.8-r3/
# ln -sf / image
to restore Galeon. As soon as I return home I'm going to apply your / image trick. Thanks.

--Old Gentooman
softchill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be a little late here, but the problem is not with the // but with the image, you can cd to /usr//////portage without problem, so the problem is not about it but about the fact that emerge sets the install prefix to {$D}/image (that create the // cause {$D} ends with a /). But anyway the problem is not there, the problem is with the fact that when the ebuild sets the prefix to {$D}/image , some packages set its path relative to that dir. After that all files are moved to the path it is supposed to be configured for. And those packages get borken. I dont know any clean way to fix that and I found something like 4 packages with that kind of problem. For more info search for post from me with "image".
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: