View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Only gnome-base, no games please!!! Reply with quote

I almost started to emerge my Gnome2 (yes, I've unmasked it) when it came up on my mind that I don't need all programs and games and God knows what else that is included. I just want a simple runable GNOME2 desktop, don't even need mozilla or galeon (IMHO Opera is the best web-browser). Well, I'll only test evolution I think. But as I said, only desktop.
Since I'm not familiar with portage system yet (installed Gentoo yesterday, great distro:D) I don't know how I should do.... emerge --pretend gnome shows that _very_ many packages are going to be installed. But I don't want them all!!! So please, tell my who I should emerge to get a clean GNOME2 desktop (ok, evolution might be included, but I can install it another time too).
Best wishes, Jacob W.
jacobwodzynski@hotmail.com
www.jacobsweb.tk
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Only gnome-base, no games please!!! Reply with quote

We're on the line to distribute the full "Gnome 2 desktop" when a user does "emerge gnome" since this is generally what people expect :)

For a minimalistic Gnome 2 experience:
emerge gnome-panel gnome-session metacity control-center

if you dont want/care for nautilus, dont emerge that either.

you may want "gnome-applets" as well but thats a choice ;)
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much! One question only, what is metacity?? Never heard of about this one before...
Regards, Jacob W.
Registred Linux user #191143!
Abit NF7-S rev. 2.00 (BIOS v. 2.7)
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ (Barton)
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
SATA Seagate ST3200822AS & Silicon Image 3112 chipset
Gentoo Linux :)
ColdPack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Can't install Gnome2 Reply with quote

I'm sorry to cut into this dance but I would really like to emerge gnome2 but, even thought I commented out the appropriate lines in the packages.mask file, it still wants to install only gnome 1.4. When I try to specify which version, it says that package doesn't exist (even though it does when I look in /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome).
Perhaps I can be more specific later... when I'm home with the machine. At work at the moment.
But if you have any thoughts in the meantime, I'd love to hear them.
CP
Obz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One question only, what is metacity?? Never heard of about this one before...

metacity is the new window manager to be used with gnome2, which replaces sawfish as the default. i think at the moment the latest sawfish is not stable/mature enough to be included with the 'stable' gnome2 release and so metacity is being used. its fast. and easy to use, although it lacks some of the extra features of sawfish, and unfortunately, doesnt have quite as many themes available (check http://sunshineinabag.co.uk for a look at them). just a tip but you might also want to emerge metacity-setup to provide an easy interface for changing themes, settings etc, because it isnt installed by default.

Quote:
I commented out the appropriate lines in the packages.mask file, it still wants to install only gnome 1.4

there are 2 sections in package.mask that describe gnome masks. the first section describes gnome 1.4 masks, and the second describes gnome 2 masks. look for the section that says

Code:
# spider@gentoo.org ; 21 May 2002;
# this is the gnome2 mask!
# (gnome-2 that is ;)

and make sure all the packages under that are unmasked. you might also want to do

Code:
emerge /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.0.0_rc2.ebuild

to ensure that emerge is actually looking at the right ebuild. a word of warning though, the official gnome 2 desktop was released (early this morning) just recently, and so perhaps wait until the official ebuilds (shouldnt be too long now, spider works fast and is always on the ball) surface this afternoon/later today.

hope this helps. have a nice day
mike
ColdPack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... yeah, I saw the news of Gnome2 being released but I already did it.
Actually, all is starting to work... slowly.
I think I will indeed emerge metacity-setup (or whatever) -- that will help a lot since I'm a tiny bit lost with the "new" environment.
Thanks for the thoughts.
CP
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: