Help! Blank screens =>WinXP & Gentoo framebuffer boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Help! Blank screens =>WinXP & Gentoo framebuffer boot Reply with quote

I went away to my fathers funeral last week, everything was working. Now there is no frame buffer display when booting gentoo, no console display after booted, first visible display is the nvidia splash screen then GDM & Gnome. WinXP shows the boot screen for a bit then switches to a blank screen, some intermittent disk access, a floppy access attempt, then soon nothing. For windows I've tried several boot modes, debugging, last known good config, etc.

I tried the knoppix 3.2 cd. It boots fine (boot looks like framebuffer mode maybe? muticolored with graphics), then X & KDE.

I've checked the bios, agp set at 4X, mainboard Gigabyte GA-7VAX (KT400), Asus Geoforce 4 MX440 128MB Videao card. My older daughter says she tried booting the computer once while I was gone but it didn't work. (winXP, default grub boot)

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong? Bad video card? Does WinXP use Framebuffer display?

Any and all responses greatly apreciated.
iwasbiggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windows troubles... I have no idea, can you remember anything you last changed?

Your linux troubles sound a lot like this:
Do you have over 1 gig ram?
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=19061
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-checked, and knoppix boots up in framebuffer mode vga=761 1024x768. I had gentoo set for 1280x1024 mode, and the last time I booted windows it would also have been in 1280x1024 mode.

The only thing I had done before I left was to boot up the newly burned knoppix cd I made just before I packed it. I left the computer off so my young daughter & wife could boot up to run her educational games.

I was able to boot gentoo without the vesa frame buffer and see the console output and all the virtual console screens. All XFreee screen resolutions work which should rule out my flat panel monitor not functioning properly.

I also noticed that knoppix changed the framebuffer IRQ from 10 to 5 for a VIA workaround, so I rechecked the bios saw that IRQ5 was set for midi . I reset the bios and rechecked, & still no improvement.

I wonder if knoppix, the new nvidia drivers, or both inadvertently screwed up the video cards bios for the 1280x1024 framebuffer resolution mode?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it definately is a failing grapics card. I was finaly able to boot windows by booting into vga mode and select a lower resolution. Everthing exept 1280x1024 work. Therefore WinXP & nvidia must use the framebuffer to display it graphics. Now to find out if it is just bios related or warranty!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: