Mozilla startup mystery
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmaj63
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Mozilla startup mystery Reply with quote

Hello --

For some reason, I can no longer start Mozilla. I did install it and got it running -- that was before trying to get RealPlayer to work on my system. At first, I downloaded RP 5.0 (the most obvious one you are directed to) and installed the netscape plugin -- which made Moz refuse to start. Eventually, I ended up figuring out there is a more recent version of Real Player, i.e. RP v8 for Unix. I had to install the RPM manually, but it works.

(side note here: I also installed XMMS, which I find far more stable than FreeAmp to listen to internet radio. Kudos to the XMMS developpers and the Gentoo "packagers"!)

(I also installed Mosfet's HP Liquid, which makes my desktop look nice. Kudos to Daniel!)

Anyway, I did do an "emerge unmerge mozilla" and an "emerge mozilla", including nuking my ~/.mozilla directory before emerge'ing moz anew.

But Moz still refuses to start. When I start it manually from the shell, I get:

flybgtl2 root # mozilla
/usr/lib/mozilla/run-mozilla.sh: line 72: 2684 Segmentation fault $prog ${1+"$@"}
flybgtl2 root #

I know this is not much to go on, I feel I've stared long enough at it that I don't see the obvious anymore. Anyone knows what bit could be dangling somewhere in my box and making Moz crash? Cookies to doughnuts that it might be a leftover from RealPlayer 5, but where could it be hiding?

Again, this is surely an obvious problem, but I just can't see it anymore, I've stared at it so much.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you run /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin? (At least, I think that's what it is...)
bmaj63
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
What happens when you run /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin? (At least, I think that's what it is...)

I just tried it:

flybgtl2 root # /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin
Segmentation fault
flybgtl2 root #

I've tried to see if there were any CLI options (like verbose or debug), to no avail.

It does think about it for a 2/3 seconds and then segfaults.

The only question that comes to mind is: are there any known conflicts between Moz and Mosfet's HP Liquid theme engine?

*** p.s.: further info about my moz install --

flybgtl2 root # emerge -s mozilla
[ Results for search key : mozilla ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* net-www/mozilla
Latest version Available: 1.0-r2
Latest version Installed: 1.0-r2
Homepage: http://www.mozilla.org
Description:
The Mozilla Web Browser

flybgtl2 root # find / -name mozilla -print
/usr/bin/mozilla
/usr/lib/mozilla
/usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla
/usr/include/mozilla
/usr/portage/net-www/mozilla
/usr/portage/net-www/mozilla/files/mozilla
/opt/blackdown-jre-1.3.1/plugin/i386/mozilla
flybgtl2 root #

I'm actually wondering if the compile process did not pick up something along the way when I emerge'd Moz. Is there a way to download pre-compiled binaries or Moz for Gentoo, to see if "kosher" binaries might not be luckier?
bmaj63
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Mozilla not starting: explanation Reply with quote

I guess I've just earned that coveted "n00b" qualifier: it turned out to be some remnant of RealPlayer 5.0 that was still around, and a link in one of the Mozilla plugin directories that was pointing to that old RP5 stuff.

Moral of the story:
(1) Moz and RP5 don't play well together
(2) only use *one* Moz plugin directory

Now Moz works -- along with CrossOver Plugin (or whatever the correct name is), I now have all the plugins I'm used to have in Win2K: flash/shockwave, RealAudio 8, QuickTime, etc. (Only QT5 is a win binary, the two others are "native" Linux binaries)
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious why you did this:

" including nuking my ~/.mozilla directory"

???

One of the things I love about mozilla is that you don't have to nuke your personal file everytime you upgrade - I have had the same personal folder with me for about a year now - even through a switch of distros. I just copy it over to whatever machine I am going to be using so I don't have to reset all of my preferences and bookmarks and stuff.

Also...

Don't "unmerge" before you emerge next time. If you read the portage manual it tells you to emerge and then unmerge the specific older version (like "emerge unmerge mozilla 0.99") It is a "safe" unmerging and will just remove older files.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Derek
bmaj63
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nuked the ~/.mozilla directory because I've observed with other packages (KDE comes to mind) that any remnant from older install or older versions can have a detrimental effect with newer installs, even if they are of the same versions.

Call it excessive prudence (paranoia?), I just tried to start with the proverbial clean slate to make sure I did not have a corrupted file from a previous experience.

But, as I wrote one/two posts above, the source of my ills was a remaning link to some RealPlayer 5.0 code in a Moz plugin directory. Because Moz does not seem to be able to give out a cause of death or something when invoked from the CLI (something like "bad plugin, halting program"), I was at a loss to explain what was happening. Going away from my box and coming back helped find the cause of the problem.

(BTW, I ended up downloading an "official" pre-built Moz 1.0 package from www.mozilla.org in case I was compiling something bad into Moz itself when I was emerge'ing it, which was unecessary.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: