Documentation on how to do stuff with mplayer on gentoo:
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikepb78
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Documentation on how to do stuff with mplayer on gentoo: Reply with quote

Hi there people.

I am working on some mplayer documentation, i am going to be covering various things around mplayer. Here is a list of things that i am to cover in spoken english terms :). It started on how to be able to play quicktime movie with aac mpeg audio:

1) Performance Tuning: Tips to get your comp performing at the best so that you can take advantage of mplayer's post processing filters.

2) Browser Intergration : How to get mplayer to play all your favourite trailers in the browser.

3) Installing mplayer with full support for different formats : How to get quicktime movies and wmv etc.. to work with mplayer

4) Playback Suggestions : Various options to allow for better playback and fixing interlaced or poorly encoded movies

5) Tips and Trick : Various little tips and tricks you can use with mplayer.

6) How to overcome some mplayer bugs or short comings : like playing out of sync quicktime movies etc..

7) Some encoding tips for converting Quicktime movies etc..

8) Give some insight on mplayer itself : How to get sound to work with kde. etc..

9) TV playback : How to use mplayer for dvd-s or territial tv .tvtime is better than mplayer at this. But using mencoder to record tv programs etc.. it still good
These docs are mplayer centric, but i will point to alternatives time to time.

Are there any specific things i should cover in more detail?
Any topics you would like me to cover?

I am going to be also collecting some tips and tricks i have found on these forums and mailings lists etc.. So alot of what i have done it thanks to other people

I have started on it over here :

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=47041

(I need to still go thou it and fix all the typos etc)
Supox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mikepb78,

i know this might not answer every question/topic you want to document, but it's probably still worth to read it anyway.

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/747/
mikepb78
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supox wrote:
i know this might not answer every question/topic you want to document, but it's probably still worth to read it anyway.

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/747/

Thanks, i am well aware of the article :). I will point a link to it and include some info on that kind of stuff.
daen1543
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching movies output through aalib is pretty fun, especially without X whatsoever... :lol:
Code:
emerge aalib
USE="aalib" emerge mplayer
mplayer -vo aa /path/to/movie
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get(must be because I'm stupid) is how to put options into my local config file. What should I put in there to get all the best(most expensive) post-processing filters? :mrgreen:
mikepb78
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Ok cool Reply with quote

helmers wrote:
What I don't get(must be because I'm stupid) is how to put options into my local config file. What should I put in there to get all the best(most expensive) post-processing filters? :mrgreen:

there are lots :

Code:

vo=xv
ao=sdl
#loop=0
#zoom=1
nofs=1
sid=0
#aid=2
subfont-text-scale=3
sub-bg-color=0
subfont-blur=0
subfont-outline=7
#vop=hqdn3d
#sws=10
sws=2
pp=6

I will look into which is best for which type.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a tutorial on using mplayer as a realplayer replacement for playing rtsp:// streams.
mikepb78
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Realplayer Streams : Reply with quote

iangoldby wrote:
I'd love to see a tutorial on using mplayer as a realplayer replacement for playing rtsp:// streams.

Short form :
Code:
emerge live realone realplayer mplayer

Mplayer is a lot better than Realplayer or Realone for its own format :?:
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the tip. Apart from finding I needed ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" for live and realone, the emerge went ok. But I'm not having any success playing streams. Here's the last part of the output I'm getting:
Code:
Playing rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/news/n24.rm
Connected to server: rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk
This stream is non-cacheable
Stream not seekable!
Unable to determine our source address: no address
Failed to initiate "audio/X-PN-REALAUDIO" RTP subsession: RTP payload format unknown or not supported
Failed to initiate "video/X-PN-REALVIDEO" RTP subsession: RTP payload format unknown or not supported
No stream found.

I don't know if the problem is with the stream or with my set-up. Could you do me a favour and see if that stream works for you? If not, could you suggest a stream that does work for you so I can try it?

Many thanks.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, replying to myself again.

Anyway, I've got RealMedia rtsp:// streaming working!

mplayer blows RealPlayer out of the water. Whereas RealPlayer would always keep the CPU at 100%, playing a 336 x 208 25fps stream scaled to full-screen (hardware scaling) on mplayer ran with the cpu hardly breaking into a sweat. Scaling is smoother than RealPlayer, and there is no redrawing flicker.

One problem I have encountered is that filling the cache can take a very long time. I suspect this is because the cache size doesn't adapt to the streaming data rate.

It turned out that the ebuild (version 0.90) doesn't do RealNetworks' proprietary streaming "RDT" protocol, but a newer CVS snapshot does. I followed the instructions (more or less) at http://www.live.com/mplayer/. The precise version I am using is MPlayer-20030425, which happens to be today's snapshot. I've not thoroughly tested it yet of course, but I played the BBC's broadband news stream with it. The only problem was that it appeared to crash at the end of the stream - I had to kill -9 the process.

Here is a resume of what I had to do. I already had mplayer-0.90 installed, and I installed the CVS version over the top. In my home directory, I downloaded the current CVS snapshots of mplayer and ffmpeg. Then:
Code:
$ bunzip2 MPlayer-current.tar.bz2
$ tar xvf MPlayer-current.tar
$ tar xvzf ffmpeg-cvs-2003-04-25.tar.gz

I copied libavcodec into MPlayer-20030425 as required, then
Code:
$ cd MPlayer-20030425
$ ./configure --enable-live --with-livelibdir=/usr/lib/live --enable-qtx-codecs --prefix=/usr --datadir=/usr/share/mplayer --confdir=/usr/share/mplayer
$ nice make

Then as root:
Code:
# make prefix=/usr BINDIR=/usr/bin LIBDIR=/usr/lib CONFDIR=/usr/share/mplayer DATADIR=/usr/share/mplayer MANDIR=/usr/share/man install

(Not sure that prefix, BINDIR, etc were needed, but better to be safe.)

Finally, back as me
Code:
$ mplayer rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/news/n24.rm

for example. (That's a narrowband stream. There's a BBC broadband news bulletin at rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/news/olmedia/n5ctrl/tvseq/news_ost/bb_news6.rm, but I think this is only available to customers of specific ISPs.) Incidently, you unfortunately can't just give mplayer the *.ram metafile - you have to download it and extract the rtsp:// address from inside the file. Probably kmplayer will handle this.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
$ mplayer -cache 64 rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/news/n24.rm

solves the long startup delay problem. A cache of 64kB may be too small for uninterrupted playback though. The default is 1024kB.
Gaenya
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A doc on mencoder ripping to ogm would be nice, because i always ends up with a ogm with the video 5 seconds away from the sound :cry:
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the OGM-guide(or part of it), I'd like some commands to turn a video into Xvid(or divx) and Ogg Vorbis.

Perhaps some ways to make hi-quality and some for saving space? I've got some old TV-shows recorded as MPEG, and I'd love to compress them a bit more.

So, some elegant ways to transcode video with just a few simple commands please?
laikos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Monitoring mencoder ouput while recording from LiveTV Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been using mencoder to record live tv using nuppelvideo. Before it was broken my system is able to encode >25fps at (352x288 PAL). Recording was fun but I would really like to watch the channel I currently recording at the same time. I wonder if someone have any idea on doing that apart from using mythTV or freevo.

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: