Where are emerge log files saved?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metal_dragen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Where are emerge log files saved? Reply with quote

I may have missed this in some of the docs on the site, but can someone tell me where the log files for emerges are? Or if there are even log files. And if not, can logging be turned on? I've been having a hell of a time trying to get gnome and kde installed. Neither will merge correctly.

KDE crashes while merging qt, and so does gnome (i have no idea why gnome needs qt though).

But, anyway, I need to find this log so I can submit a bug report.

Thanks for the help,

metal

Watch for it everywhere.
Exci
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
/var/log/emerge.log

but i;m not sure if you find what you are looking for there

you can redirect output to a file
Code:

emerge foobar > foobar.txt

or only the errors:
Code:

emerge foobar 2> foobar.txt
metal_dragen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I found the emerge.log file, but it only shows the original command and the time it was issued, ie:
Code:
(date)
emerge foo

I was hoping that there was a way to get portage to automatically log the output of all merges. I had wanted to avoid output redirection. I've done this in the past, but it ties up my system for about 30 minutes before it crashes out on the aforementioned packages.

Thanks again for the quick reply,

metal

Watch for it everywhere.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In /etc/make.conf you should uncomment this line:
Code:
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/emerge

Then create that folder. then enjoy watching all you emerge logs (full) in that folder in separate files :)
metal_dragen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxackall - thanks much. you saved the day. can't wait to get home and do that.

i'll have to remember to set cron up to do a periodic cleaning on that directory or it could get unreasonably large. ;)

Watch for it everywhere.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with "batching" ebuild processes. Some programs (for example "guile" if I remember) are based on "readline" and their ebuild can either stuck or fail without a real TTY, if you redirect all STDIN.

Another potential problem can be illustrated with "Zope", when you are trying "ebuild zope*.ebuild config" it will stuck (detain), b/c the script is asking you for the username. Even with real TTY, if you allowed LOG in make.conf it will wait your answer without typing the question on the screen.
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxackall wrote:
Be careful with "batching" ebuild processes. Some programs (for example "guile" if I remember) are based on "readline" and their ebuild can either stuck or fail without a real TTY, if you redirect all STDIN.

Another potential problem can be illustrated with "Zope", when you are trying "ebuild zope*.ebuild config" it will stuck (detain), b/c the script is asking you for the username. Even with real TTY, if you allowed LOG in make.conf it will wait your answer without typing the question on the screen.

Hi,

The new zope-2.6.0-r2 works a bit different now, but it still might have the same issues. How would you suggest fixing this?
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kutsuya wrote:
The new zope-2.6.0-r2 works a bit different now, but it still might have the same issues. How would you suggest fixing this?

Let me improvise... Let's put the sample with answers into some config file (will /etc/env.d/zope work for it?). Then let's advise ("ebuild postinst") to users to edit such file and to run "ebuild config" after that. Then "ebuild config" should use that file, being implemented with "expect" if needed (I want to use it for CPAN's dev-perl/Templete-Toolkit). I guess, in case of Zope, Python script will handle it nice.

Of course, if a set of questions depends on the particular system configuration, then "ebuild postinst" should scan the system at first, decide what questions (err... variables) to put into config sample, so the user will answer only appropriate questions (err... will edit apropriate variables).

For case of passwords, "ebuild config" can wipe (or encrypt) the password after reading it from the config sample. Or wipe (delete) the whole sample config after generation the real (final) config file.

In my whole life the only case I've met where a real interactive human user was needed (sort of) for installation was the case of PGP key generation: you type randomly to make sure that your answer is absoltely unrelated to the current system. In all other cases the installation was deterministic enough for being scriptized, using "expect" sometimes when needed.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=131795
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: