View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bendy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: font rendering when printing from kde 3.1 Reply with quote

Hi, I'm not sure which is the correct forum for this, but as it seems to be font-related I'll give this a go.

I have 2 machines at home running gentoo - a laptop running 1.2 and a desktop running 1.4. I also have a third machine running debian acting as a file and print server (cups).

I recently updated both gentoo machines to the latest stable packages, including kde 3.1 (both had been previously running rc versions of kde 3.1). Both run cups 1.1.18, set up using the kde control centre.

The problem is that when printing web pages from konqueror, some of the fonts come out wrong - oversize and not properly spaced so that each character overlaps the next. This only happens with some fonts, not all. This happens on both gentoo machines.

I had been using the turboprint driver (for my deskjet 970Cxi), and as this is a binary-only download I suspected this was at fault, however I installed the hpijs driver and this made no difference.

I then tried the "print to file" option, and when viewing the resulting postscript file in kghostview, I still had the problem so it wasn't the printer driver causing the problem.

I tried re-emerging ghostscript (version 7.05.5), and this didn't help.

Next, I tried printing to file from mozilla - and this worked! But I know mozilla handles fonts differently.

A final point, my desktop machine dual-boots debian woody upgraded to kde 3.1 with debs from kde.org, and this prints fine.

I'm sure that amongst the above clues there is an obvious solution, but being a bear of little brain I can't work it out. Grateful for any suggestions.......

bendy.
torque2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, fellow sufferer...

I just posted in another thread about problems when printing from Konqueror. At least you're getting a print, my system won't print at all from Konqueror, but prints from everything else!

Something I didn't note in my other post, though, was that if I do a PREVIEW in Konqueror before printing, I too find many (but not all) of my fonts are squashed and ultra-wide. I'm using cups 1.1.18-r4 with foomatic 2.0.2, and I'm using the Postscript driver in foomatic for printer ID# 67296, an HP LaserJet 6MP with Postscript on a ROM SIMM.

Might this be a problem with CUPS 1.1.18-rX, or just Konqueror 3.1?
sklettke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring back such an old post, but I'm having a very, very difficult time getting webpages to print correctly from Konqueror or Mozilla. Mozilla prints webpages more or less correct (but the text is way to large). With Konqueror, on the other hand, the fonts are "squashed and ultra-wide." I've posted an example of this here: http://klettke.dyns.net:8001/print_preview.png 176KB. This is a snapshot of the print view of this current page.

I'd love and need for this to be fixed ASAP. Any ideas to get this working???? BTW, I had posted another message about this here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=82869&, but since torque2k made mention of the ultra-wide fonts, I thought I'd post here instead.

Thanks!
Scott

Kernel: 2.6.11-rc3-nitro0
KDE 3.3.2 with Xorg
MythBox: 2.6.5-gentoo-dev-r2 (LVMed 360GB in XFS; Athlon 2500+)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: