DVD ripping quality issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: DVD ripping quality issues Reply with quote

Hi!

I ripped some dvds lately (dvdrip/transcode) and are quite satisfied with the quality, but there are still some points I'm wondering about. I usually use divx5 to transcode the movie, typically at a bitrate of about 1000Kbit/s.

• Does multipass encoding help with the quality concering divx5? I couldn't tell a difference from some tries, but maybe this only has an effect on longer sequences than just 20 seconds
  • the difference between HQ Resizing and Fast Resizing also seems not to have any really noticeable effect - where's the difference exept for a minimal difference in the resolution? (Okay, fast resizing is about 50% faster during transcoding, but I ment quality issues ;)
  • the options dealing with deinterlacing and antialiasing also seem to have no effect exept for speed (again about 50% compared to maximum quality)

so, the only thing that really seems to matter is the bitrate - or did I just test with the wrong videos??

* ElCondor pasa *
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only tried multipass with ffmpeg(mpeg4), and i'm not an experienced or professional ripper - but i'd say you'll first notice difference with/without multipass in fast moving scenes. I reckon you knew that, had to shout it out anyway :)
ElCondor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that mpeg uses multipass. mpeg does vbr (variable bitrate) encoding and with ge (s)vcd you have to optimize the video size, therefor the encoder has to know before what bitrate where to use, this causes the better quality with action scenes. Does divx5 also do something equal?

* ElCondor pasa *
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: